Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Crikey, Al, all I've managed tonight is putting a second coat on a few barrels & crates; touching in a little bit on my panzer; and painting the little windscreen wipers on the Commander's optics. Do you have a series of clones or a workshop full of nimble-fingered children?

• RMweb Gold

Crikey, Al, all I've managed tonight is putting a second coat on a few barrels & crates; touching in a little bit on my panzer; and painting the little windscreen wipers on the Commander's optics. Do you have a series of clones or a workshop full of nimble-fingered children?

To be fair, I did spend most of the day on it, so you're looking at a good 6 hours work, interspersed with meals, shopping and stuff.

Back to work next week, so I won't be maintaining this sort of output...

Cheers mate,

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

6 hours is still a very short time mate, and what a fantastic job you have done too, it looks spot on.

On the subject of fiddle yards, if you go with the one you sketched out, I reckon you may get frustrated with it very quickly from an operational perspective, firstly from being limited in the length of trains you can store in each road and secondly because you need to cross the main line to access one of the fans of sidings which will mean being very careful to not have trains crossing. I really like the idea of the cutting but if it's main purpose is for photographic opportunities, you may be best making an elaborate photographic plank and not compromising your main layout.

Cheers,

J.

• RMweb Premium

Al, isn't the proveder store facing the wrong way? The doors are designed to be at a height so that the wagons drop doors can be dropped into the stores doors? Or should there be doors on both sides?

Anyway, it's looking good! And all in 6hrs, blimey, I can just about cut out some pre-cut windows in that time...

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

6 hours is still a very short time mate, and what a fantastic job you have done too, it looks spot on.

On the subject of fiddle yards, if you go with the one you sketched out, I reckon you may get frustrated with it very quickly from an operational perspective, firstly from being limited in the length of trains you can store in each road and secondly because you need to cross the main line to access one of the fans of sidings which will mean being very careful to not have trains crossing. I really like the idea of the cutting but if it's main purpose is for photographic opportunities, you may be best making an elaborate photographic plank and not compromising your main layout.

Cheers,

J.

Cheers Jason, 6 hours yesterday, plus at least 8 the day before, so not quite that quick!

The fiddle yard, yes, it's limited, but adding the scenic bit doesn't really change that much.

The only place I can put any storage is on that back stretch, and because of the two return loops and the operating well anything I build is constrained to fit inside those.

You can see in this photo what space I have:

post-17302-0-72378000-1402131684_thumb.jpg

If you look back to my first post in this thread, you can see that I was originally hoping to have a split level layout, with fiddle yards underneath the scenic level accessed from ramps on the back wall, but experimentation proved I just haven't the space to do a sufficiently gentle gradient, so I'm left with what I can fit in.

The only impact the scenic tunnel plan had was that any access into the yard on the left side has been moved over towards the centre, to leave the reverse curve doubled,

I would welcome any alternative plans to maximise the space available.

Cheers mate,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Al, isn't the proveder store facing the wrong way? The doors are designed to be at a height so that the wagons drop doors can be dropped into the stores doors? Or should there be doors on both sides?

Anyway, it's looking good! And all in 6hrs, blimey, I can just about cut out some pre-cut windows in that time...

Andy G

Hi mate.

I thought that, too, but I can't find any evidence that the store had any doors on the rail side at all, although that would seem strange.

This is a crop of the plan wich accompanied the planning application:

post-17302-0-48240400-1402132889.jpg

The pink one is the one we're concerned with, I haven't got room to put the Trader's Store on the layout, but although there are doors shown on the trader's store, there are non shown on the provender store.

I might have to investigate further.

As I've said to Jason, it's 6 hours yesterday plus lots more the day before...

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, that is a cracking job you have made of the provender store, paintwork looks just right, sits nice on the layout with your other buildings. Now stop sitting about, make something else to entertain us all. all the best Adrian

• Like 1

Cheers Jason, 6 hours yesterday, plus at least 8 the day before, so not quite that quick!

The fiddle yard, yes, it's limited, but adding the scenic bit doesn't really change that much.

The only place I can put any storage is on that back stretch, and because of the two return loops and the operating well anything I build is constrained to fit inside those.

You can see in this photo what space I have:

attachicon.giffiddle-yard01.jpg

If you look back to my first post in this thread, you can see that I was originally hoping to have a split level layout, with fiddle yards underneath the scenic level accessed from ramps on the back wall, but experimentation proved I just haven't the space to do a sufficiently gentle gradient, so I'm left with what I can fit in.

The only impact the scenic tunnel plan had was that any access into the yard on the left side has been moved over towards the centre, to leave the reverse curve doubled,

I would welcome any alternative plans to maximise the space available.

Cheers mate,

Al.

Al, if you made a scenic fiddle yard based on say Peak Forrest as it was, it would lead naturally into the cutting and tunnel, but you would just need to shorten the twin track section between the road bridge and the tunnel in order to have a decent fiddle yard as well.

A scenic fiddle yard is a great space saver and would work well for all your needs, both for train length, and quantity of stock.

Just having the last foot as double track in a cutting, and at the other end you could do a similar thing but based on say Monsal Tunnel.

• RMweb Gold

Al, if you made a scenic fiddle yard based on say Peak Forrest as it was, it would lead naturally into the cutting and tunnel, but you would just need to shorten the twin track section between the road bridge and the tunnel in order to have a decent fiddle yard as well.

A scenic fiddle yard is a great space saver and would work well for all your needs, both for train length, and quantity of stock.

Just having the last foot as double track in a cutting, and at the other end you could do a similar thing but based on say Monsal Tunnel.

Cheers mate, I don't think it would make much difference whether the fiddle yard is scenic or not, or whether I include the tunnel or not, I just don't have much space.

This is a plan I did cramming as much track as I can into the available space, but as you can see there isn't a lot, and operating it will not be easy.

post-17302-0-56394400-1402156338_thumb.jpg

Please, if you or anyone can come up with a better, more workable plan which fits the constraints, let me see it, as I haven't layed any track yet, so my options are all open.

Thanks a lot,

Al

• RMweb Premium

Why not replace all those left hand points with double slips so that as the right hand sidings get shorter the left hand ones get longer? You'll get three more, longer, sidings heading off to the left. You can also get rid of that pair that are back to back in the middle of the fourth road down, and swap it for a double slip, and then as you work towards the righthand side on that forth road, add a crossover to the third one down, this, along with a double slip across to the top road, will allow trains to get out of the lefthand side onto the top line, without a reversal.

Fiddle yards are a pain, so many points, which all take up space!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

It hardly counts as a structure, but there is a major bit missing on the layout, which shows on this picture you've seen before:

post-17302-0-30022400-1402264990.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection - used with permission.

The coal storage was quite extensive, i fact in later years it even spread across the station forecourt as this picture shows:

post-17302-0-84559300-1402267120_thumb.jpg

Copyright Stan Roberts Collection - used with permission.

This is because the goods yard was home to three coal merchants.

So, here's the coal staithes, made out of old sleepers, with DAS modelling clay as a basis for the heaps of coal:

post-17302-0-36976300-1402264978_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-39274700-1402264980_thumb.jpg

all given a spray of dark grey to hide the white DAS.

Then, I covered the DAS in PVA glue:

post-17302-0-65337900-1402264982_thumb.jpg

Next, I poured real coal all over it:

post-17302-0-99649100-1402264984_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-14749400-1402264987_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-19988400-1402264989_thumb.jpg

This was crushed up from a single lump by yours truly. It could probably go a bit smaller, but I have seen photos of prototype coal stores where the lumps are bigger than a mans head, so this is not too out of proportion.

Here's the coal storage back on the layout:

post-17302-0-24354800-1402264996_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-83705800-1402265123_thumb.jpg

and a view down the back of the provender store:

post-17302-0-61596900-1402264998_thumb.jpg

And  here's my version of the shot that Stan took from the signal box.

post-17302-0-92995200-1402264992_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Please, if you or anyone can come up with a better, more workable plan which fits the constraints, let me see it, as I haven't layed any track yet, so my options are all open.

Thanks a lot,

Al

Hi Al,

I've had one idea that may be of use to you!

Have you ever heard of a vertical traverser at all?

When we had our previous house, my modelling room was very limited so I set about making one. First off, I acquired a s/h drawing board from Ebay, about £15 I think, I was then going to replace the drawing rule part with a sheet of thin ply and create, literally double track cassettes on that. I then decided the original backing board was too heavy and planned to replace that but then family & life intervened and we ended up moving oop north, like!

I think this was an A0 board, so about 3 feet in length but I should imagine there are bigger ones. What you might spend on getting the bits & pieces, you'd save on pointwork!

Evidently, you haven't got room for a regular traverser but I thought the vertical one might suit!

OR,

How about simply putting in something like a pair of loops off the main line but instead of tracks between loop points, you could have cassettes - that way, you can have all the storage you could wish for. If you can make the loop/s & cassettes long enough for most trains, anyway!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, 3ton of nutty slack please, that looks good and grubby and been there forever,lovely job. Doesn't it take ages to smash a lump of coal up into little bits. ps; don't forget my order of 1gallon of Esso Blue parrafin for my oil lamps. all the best Adrian

Al, a fantastic amount of work in such a short time and it looks really great. Been racking my brains about the fiddle yard conundrum and felt that there must be an engineering solution - now JohnE has come up with one that certainly deserves careful consideration!

Thanks for the inspiration,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Al.

The first photo in post # 1795 shows what a great job you've made of reproducing the prototype. The structures you've built, and continue to build, are excellent.

Nice to see you're maintaining your enthusiasm!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Al.

The first photo in post # 1795 shows what a great job you've made of reproducing the prototype. The structures you've built, and continue to build, are excellent.

Nice to see you're maintaining your enthusiasm!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks very much, glad you like it. Both you and Bodgit must be feeling really frustrated at the moment, hope you can soon make a start at turning the new bunker into a railway room.

All the best,

Al.