Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• RMweb Gold

D826 is absolutely brand spanking new in that pic.  The train was used as the first normal traffic tests for all Swindon's mainline built or accepted locos - the loco worked up from Swindon in the morning and came back down on 3C07, the train we used to call 'the 3 o'clock parcels'  at Reading as that was about the time it arrived there (came in on the Down Main and then shunted to No.3 bay to attach vans so there was always a crowd waiting to get their mits (literally) on a brand new loco.  Never possible to can it as it was full of Inspectors and technical folk apart from the Driver and Fireman.

(oh and 3C07 will going on one end of my D1000)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

D826 is absolutely brand spanking new in that pic.  The train was used as the first normal traffic tests for all Swindon's mainline built or accepted locos - the loco worked up from Swindon in the morning and came back down on 3C07, the train we used to call 'the 3 o'clock parcels'  at Reading as that was about the time it arrived there (came in on the Down Main and then shunted to No.3 bay to attach vans so there was always a crowd waiting to get their mits (literally) on a brand new loco.  Never possible to can it as it was full of Inspectors and technical folk apart from the Driver and Fireman.

(oh and 3C07 will going on one end of my D1000)

D826 was accepted into traffic at Swindon on Wednesday 7th September 1960 so this would have probably been taken on the same day, or possibly the day after. Would it have worked up to Padd attached to the early morning Up Cheltenham from Swindon...? I seem to recall this was a regular move back then. A cracking shot and no mistake.

Lion and Falcon both worked 3C07 too Mike, as well as the new Hydraulics in their early days. I know we've mentioned it before between us but there are some published photos of D1000, D1002, D1003 and D1004 on it in 1962. Once again Mr.Stationmaster Sir, you have produced a post which makes me want to build that ruddy time machine once and for all...! It must have been wonderful seeing all those shiny oil sloshers for the veryfirst time, not knowing which livery variation would appear next, reeking of paint and looking for all the world like something from outer space... :good:

Edited by Rugd1022

Is the second vehicle a Siphon J? I wasn't aware they'd lasted that long.

All of the condemnation dates are given in

Slinn J N & Clarke B K (1987) GWR Siphons pub. by HMRS 122 pages.  ISBN 0 902835 10 6

The earliest I can see is 7/61. Most followed soon afterwards in 61 and 62. There is one in 64 and one in 69.

Paul Bartlett

PS Why would an LMS BG be commented on? They were very common.

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

D826 was accepted into traffic at Swindon on Wednesday 7th September 1960 so this would have probably been taken on the same day, or possibly the day after. Would it have worked up to Padd attached to the early morning Up Cheltenham from Swindon...? I seem to recall this was a regular move back then. A cracking shot and no mistake.

Lion and Falcon both worked 3C07 too Mike, as well as the new Hydraulics in their early days. I know we've mentioned it before between us but there are some published photos of D1000, D1002, D1003 and D1004 on it in 1962. Once again Mr.Stationmaster Sir, you have produced a post which makes me want to build that ruddy time machine once and for all...! It must have been wonderful seeing all those shiny oil sloshers for the veryfirst time, not knowing which livery variation would appear next, reeking of paint and looking for all the world like something from outer space... :good:

The usual working was, I understand, up on the Cheltenham from Swindon and back (to Swindon) with 3C07 - the loco would often be on it for several days in succession.  Incidentally that pic would have been taken from Subway Jcn signalbox (and fortunately nothing on the Up E&C Line to get in the way).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

cant be certain this is a parcel train but included for interest.

5686008143_c6dbd928d5_z.jpg

Lion D0260 at unknown location on 3rd July 1962 by Karel1999, on Flickr

Definitely a parcels train - it is, once again, the ever useful 3C07 with a nice new diesel on test, i.e. the same train that featured D826 in a previous link.  I think I'll have a tenner in Down Relief Line at Maidenhead West as it is the only place I can think of where there was a south side signal gantry leg of that type and size of gantry in a setting like that at that time. 

• Like 1

Definitely a parcels train - it is, once again, the ever useful 3C07 with a nice new diesel on test, i.e. the same train that featured D826 in a previous link.  I think I'll have a tenner in Down Relief Line at Maidenhead West as it is the only place I can think of where there was a south side signal gantry leg of that type and size of gantry in a setting like that at that time. 

I agree Mike, I'd say that's definitely Maidenhead ;-)

It appears that Lion worked the ever dependable 3C07 vans at least three times in that period, as there are two more shots of it in 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated #174' with different formations of vans behind it.

The D826 shot was definitely taken from Subway Jcn 'box too - there's a shot of a Hymek on 3C07 taken from the same spot in Chris Leigh's excellent book 'The Heyday Of Old Oak Common & It's Locomotives'. ;o)

Edited by Rugd1022

Like the random goods brake van 4th behind the loco!

Probably the train was to be split at some point and as there is no guards accommodation in the first few vehicles the van saves having to find one for that parts journey.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

Probably the train was to be split at some point and as there is no guards accommodation in the first few vehicles the van saves having to find one for that parts journey.

Dave Franks.

I think the second vehicle has a guard's brake. Whatever, it is a right old hotch-potch, even by parcels train standards. Once again, run that at an exhibition and prepare to be mocked!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Freight brake vans in parcels trains has been discussed earlier in this thread. They were used by the guards as they had a stove in them. If 12 ton vans are in the train there is no piped steam heat past where the vans are so long wheel based freight vans were used.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

if not it may be the warning flash on the following vehicle.

anyone know what the first royal mail coach is?

Hi Michael

I think you are right about the warning flash on a second look. As for the Royal Mail coach, it appears to be a late build LMS post office sorting van but which diagram I wouldn't have a clue from the angle of the coach is in the photo.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Fascinating thread.  I was particularly interested in the pictures round Reading & Didcot having been brought up in that area, but can't believe Siphons were still in use in my lifetime, even if I would have been too little to remember them!

Please forgive a question from someone at the trainset end of the market but I am seeking advice about a couple of vans/coaches I have been building into a rake to use as a parcels/mail train.  What I currently have looks like this & is soon to be joined by a Bachmann Blue/Grey Post Office Sorting wagon:

2012_06_01_0959-2.JPG

The rake includes two 4-wheel and one bogie 8-wheel blue GUVs (one of the former was in my first train set & inspired me to build this rake when I got the railway out again for my boy) and then two other coaches which you can see at the front and rear of the pic above.  One of them is one of these:

Parcels%2520Express.JPG

And one one of these:

2012_04_28_0529-1.JPG

My query is whether either of these coaches is a brake?  Both have "GUARD" on a door so I'm guessing they are.

I'm not too concerned about era or being "prototypical" (although I have invested in & applied some Railtec transfers for caution overhead wires for the rake & my old Hornby HST) but I gather from the various threads on here a brake is needed so it would be interesting to know if I already have one!

Thank you, Jonathan.  Tempting as it might be to get a BSK or one of the rather lovely Thompson 63' full brakes made by Bachmann I'm running out of layout space & trying to conserve money.

I hope these will do to represent POT vehicles.  I was reminded elsewhere that one of these vehicles is actually condemned, and also that it is LMS.  The latter would please my late Great-Uncle who was a sorter on the LMS mail trains when he came back from service with the RN during the Second War.

Edited by C&WR