Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

25083 waits between shunting vans on 'Grove Street Yard'.

Nice one Jenny, and for your article in Model Rail too, or perhaps it should have been rebranded RMweb Rail this month !!!!!

Guest jim s-w

Oh boy! There are some smashing pics here.

Makes me want to give up modelling, because I'll never be able to do anything so good :D

Keep them coming!

Nah - given a big enough investment in time and effort there is no reason you cant. I wont speak for others but I believe the stuff I do is just the result of learning how to. I don't think there's a reason why anyone cant do the same. Plus with online forums people will want to help you.

Go for it!

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

Just thought I'd include a photo of my old layout Hendre Lane in here.

It's at a few exhibitions this year (DEMU + Rail ex South West) plus,

it will shortly feature a new article in Model Rail magazine....

I feel that Black & White lends itself well to the photo-realism challenge....

Oh by the way, I did cheat a bit with superimposing the seagulls :O

I once saw a Dave Rowe layout with actual flying birds......fab!

post-2973-127246095355_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Oh boy! There are some smashing pics here.

Makes me want to give up modelling, because I'll never be able to do anything so good :D

Keep them coming!

Like JSW says - don't give up!

Just keep modelling - and taking pics of those models.....

This thread isn't a competition - it's there for ideas + inspiration! :D

Marc

• RMweb Gold

I once saw a Dave Rowe layout with actual flying birds......fab!

This I've got to see - any chance it's in a mag that I could find? I assume they were not actual flying birds though biggrin.gif

And what a great shot Marc, with some superb modelling. I really like the van in the foreground - excellent.

This I've got to see - any chance it's in a mag that I could find? I assume they were not actual flying birds though biggrin.gif

And what a great shot Marc, with some superb modelling. I really like the van in the foreground - excellent.

Thanks for the kind words re my photo...

I can't recall whether there was an article, but the Dave Rowe layout was (I think) called "Exbridge Quay"

Dave & his wife Shirley both produced some really wonderful models.

Shirley was famous for her superb trees, and Spanish layout, called something like "Catalyuna" or "Catalunya" - appologies if I'm not totally accurate with the spelling.....

"Exbridge Quay" didn't have real birds of course...

but a few models of seagulls, which "flew" around, by being suspended on very fine fishing line!

A motorised pulley-wheel rotated - and was connected to another pulley (un-motorised) via fishing line.

The seagulls were suspended from the line, on added "branches" of very fine line. On one pulley, the line went round it several times - thus the gulls appeared to circle one end of the scene!!!!

If that's not enough to convince you of Daves excellence......

The scene was a harbour - which used actual water!

And get this - the tide went in & out! (Using a system of water tanks underneath the model!)

Ships "docked" in the harbour obviously had to move up & down with the tide!

Buildings and scenery were sublime, railway operations were sparse,

but that did not matter.....

A swing-bridge in the foreground opened + closed, slowly....

...but a man in an adjoining hut was to be seen operating the crank mechanism!!!

I kid you not!

Wish I had some pics of this wonderful layout, which did the circuit back in the 80's / early 90's..

If you do find an article - please let me know...

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't recall whether there was an article, but the Dave Rowe layout was (I think) called "Exbridge Quay"

Shirley was famous for her superb trees, and Spanish layout, called something like "Catalyuna" or "Catalunya" - appologies if I'm not totally accurate with the spelling.....

"Exbridge Quay" didn't have real birds of course...

but a few models of seagulls, which "flew" around, by being suspended on very fine fishing line!

A motorised pulley-wheel rotated - and was connected to another pulley (un-motorised) via fishing line.

The seagulls were suspended from the line, on added "branches" of very fine line. On one pulley, the line went round it several times - thus the gulls appeared to circle one end of the scene!!!!

If that's not enough to convince you of Daves excellence......

The scene was a harbour - which used actual water!

And get this - the tide went in & out! (Using a system of water tanks underneath the model!)

Ships "docked" in the harbour obviously had to move up & down with the tide!

...but a man in an adjoining hut was to be seen operating the crank mechanism!!!

I kid you not!

Wish I had some pics of this wonderful layout, which did the circuit back in the 80's / early 90's..

If you do find an article - please let me know...

Cheers

Marc

Hi Marc,

Exebridge Quay appeared a few times in Model Railway Journal: In the first Compendium (brief photo survey), in issue No,14 (building construction) and in the third Compendium (sailing barge construction)

I'm sure theres been a major photographic article somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Not sure if this helps!

Dave.T

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Marc and Dave. Don't think I've got any of those MRJ issues but will look out for them, and will also see what a web search brings up.

Tide going in and out, eh? Sounds fantastic!

Hi Marc,

Exebridge Quay appeared a few times in Model Railway Journal: In the first Compendium (brief photo survey), in issue No,14 (building construction) and in the third Compendium (sailing barge construction)

I'm sure theres been a major photographic article somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Not sure if this helps!

Dave.T

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that - I'll quiz a pal of mine who seems to have every issue of MRJ plus all the compendia.....

But if you come across anything, please let me know - it was a fine layout,

and an inspiration to us all - even though it was probably built 20+ years ago!

I helped a friend exhibit his layout "Lesser Wenlock" back in my GWR EM gauge modelling days, we were near Dave + Shirley, and stayed in the same hotel, in Utrecht....

...they really are both fantastic modellers, and were a real pleasure to chat with...

haven't seen anything by them at recent shows - hope they are still modelling....

Cheers again :D

Marc

Randall,

Just wanted to second Stu's thoughts (re the pic looking great, not the height issue :lol: )

That ballasting is so like a coal facility - just look at one of the "Industrial Railways In Colour" books,

and I think you've got it right....

Cheers

Marc :D

• RMweb Premium

Cheers

Marc

Hi Mark ,

Nice to chat to you at Taunton on Sunday , with referance to the above , Catalunya , I'm not sure how it's spelt either , this is now part of the display section at Peco's in Beer , was looking at it last year and it can still hold it's own from the quality om modelling .

To be pedantic , wink.gif , which I'm not , the bridge was modeled on an actual one that that is still standing , it's in Bridgwater and cross's the River Parrot , it's a starnge one in that it is not a swing , it actualy a sliding bridge , I think part of it moves to one side and then the main part is drawn back into the resulting space , I dont know what power system it used . Hopefully the link below will take you to the Google Street view .

Dave is spot on as regars the articles , a large description in MRJ compendium Vol 2 , and an article on the warehouses in issue 14 .

Hope this works .

http://maps.google.c...F8&ll=51.131772,-3.000552&spn=0,0.001714&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.131848,-3.000823&panoid=5W2hm5Wh_MockYc1hPmTMg&cbp=12,273.65,,1,5.51

To be pedantic , wink.gif , which I'm not , the bridge was modeled on an actual one that that is still standing , it's in Bridgwater and cross's the River Parrot

To be really pedantic,which I am, it's the River Parrett :P :lol: ;)