Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Hi Pete

I think I asked this on an RMWeb of old but what effect are you aiming for here? Looks kinda swampy.

Cheers

Jim

Yeah swampy areas tend to have lots of ground fog, it is also prevalent along the coast here in Virginia where there is low lying water. Heavy dew on the grass from the night before can also cause ground fog if the temperatures are right and the air is calm.

If you do a google image search for 'ground fog' you'll find all kinds of examples.

I hadn't thought about getting the aliens out! They'd have a tendency, I expect, to generate fog to hide their movements. wink.gif

Guest Phil

post-1-127496577821_thumb.jpg

So realistic you can smell the ozone in the air, and dodge the flying guano from the sh!tehawks flying overhead !!!

Nice scene Andy

An image of the derelict Maenol Mine Black Hole - nicknamed as such by the surface workers in order to keep kids away from the dangerous workings.

Local legend has it that this is where the devil himself urinates.

Kids never went near....

post-6897-127511973927_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Defiantly not anywhere near as good as some of the pictures on here but here goes!

post-7028-12766287684_thumb.jpg

A Central Trains service accelerates over the bridge from a request stop/

post-7028-127662879359_thumb.jpg

A 50 receives maintenance after days of tour work.

post-7028-127662888117_thumb.jpg

A Voyager has terminated at Somercombe ready to work the return journey whilst a SevernLink service leaves the bay and a 158 provides a semi-fast service.

post-7028-127662892716_thumb.jpg

post-7028-127662900648_thumb.jpg

A dirty skateboard.

post-7028-127662903219_thumb.jpg

The layout work was done by JZ (Julian Boniface) whilst the weathering was done by me.

• Like 2

These are just the models, as yet not located on the railway. I leave it to you to judge how realistic they are.

These are not r-t-r models, weathered; they are not etched brass and nickel silver kits; they are scratch built. More fool me for doing it, but there are no etches for these prototypes, just photographs and memories.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-127679157927.jpg

post-3150-12767916874.jpg

post-3150-127680664049.jpg

• Like 5

Guest jim s-w

There's no higher compliment than that! Lovely stuff Dave.

yes there is - "is that real?"

at least "is that P4" as 00 track looks awful, Dave's track looks much better than 00

Why do people thing asking if a model is another scale with well documented shortcomings is a compliment? Especially when said scale looks worse than the posted picture, I can only assume its to do with too much time looking at models and not enough time looking at real railways.

Always set your sights on the real railway people - not another model.

And another thing - if you are going to post something on here then do so - dont appologise for it. We all are capable of deciding for ourselves if something looks good to us or not. I am sure each person reading the thread takes each image on its own merit. Its not a competition between one image and the next. At least I dont think it should be.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

Or perhaps this one. This is the scene under the shipyard bridge at Hessle Haven - a real bridge which stood in a real place.

Everything on here is hand built; the bridge - plasticard and various microstrips, the bridge abutments with hand made brick work - scribed card, painted with water colours and then sealed - the track (P4 track company chairs and rail, hand made and stained sleepers). The J72 started life as a Bachmann but has been heavily rebuilt with a new P4 chassis and many body modifications.

So the picture is simply called 'Passing a century of grime'.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-127680710788.jpg

• Like 2