Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

I also thought of Polperro - the combination of harbour, pub, and footpath behind the pub overlooking everything, is rather Polperro-ish. To be very Polperro-ish there should be a small fishmarket alongside the pub too!

It's great that it yells Cornwall to you all - that was the intention. It's a bit of everywhere, St Ives with the Sloop 7 slipway, Hayle viaduct (you can just see the piers), Polzeath with the cottages overlooking the harbour. Polperro is a great suggestion, though it's totally by chance.

It was a "bowl" shaped area to fill with a curved viaduct so I just used inspiration of the lovely inlets and towns down west to build the scene up.

post-2613-0-06091400-1302787853_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It's been hauling clay trains then ;) - nicely dustily grubby

I think the idea is the effect of the Laira 'beats-as-it-cleans-as-it-rips-the-paint-down-to-the-Prestolith' washing plant. Certainly takes me back to 1975cool.gif

• Like 1

I think the idea is the effect of the Laira 'beats-as-it-cleans-as-it-rips-the-paint-down-to-the-Prestolith' washing plant. Certainly takes me back to 1975cool.gif

Western Region Hydraulics are, I find, one of the few types where emery cloth is the key weathering tool!

I’ve been pondering on this for some weeks now, trying to decide if I should say anything or not, but I’m going to take the risk of copping some flak.

To quote the very first post in this thread, ‘So the challenge is to post up your pictures of your models, dioramas or layouts that look so lifelike you have to look twice or more to decide'.

Now I took that to mean that this was as much a photographic competition as it was a modelling one, and increasingly there’s been an increase in the number of photos of realistic models as opposed to realistic photographs of models. There’s a key difference there, I feel.

As I see it, there’s plenty of existing sub-forums and threads where you can post up pictures of your realistic modelling, whereas this thread was always a little bit different to that. Clearly there’s still plenty of pressing of the ‘+’ button to these photos so I may be very wide of the mark with my comments – it does make for an interesting comparison though to go back to Page 1 and see what was posted and then immediately jump to some of the images on pages 47, 48, etc (try it and see for yourself).

Realistic models, sure. But are they realistic photographs…? This was the original intention of this thread. Perhaps that’s changed, perhaps that’s not a problem for anyone, I just felt it worthwhile putting a hand up and saying ‘Are we starting to lose the key focus of this thread?.’

Edit (years later!):  Please note that anyone trawling through this thread, reading the above, and then thinking that the pages I refer to don't seem to make much sense - there was some editing & pruning performed that removed a lot of posts.

Edited by Dave777
  • Like 13

Realistic models, sure. But are they realistic photographs…? This was the original intention of this thread. Perhaps that’s changed, perhaps that’s not a problem for anyone, I just felt it worthwhile putting a hand up and saying ‘Are we starting to lose the key focus of this thread?.’

At the risk of sticking my neck out too, Dave. I have to agree with you. I think there are plenty of other forums and threads on here for RMWebbers to show off their superb modelling, It would be good if we could keep this thread to purely realistic photographs.

If that's not what the majority want from this thread, then fair enough, but it would be nice to stick to the aim of the OP, as IMO that's what makes this thread a bit different from just about every other thread on here, not to mention a bit special too.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Here, here. I take 100s of shots and most go in the bin. Occasionally, you end up with one that looks realistic and they're the ones that should go on here.

Well that one certainly counts! Absolutely marvellous.

I do agree with Dave777, though - there's been a bit of "mission drift".

I’ve been pondering on this for some weeks now, trying to decide if I should say anything or not, but I’m going to take the risk of copping some flak.

Dave, I think you've just said what a lot of people have been thinking!

• Like 1

Thanks Phil! Its a case of model follows real life, as alas this scene is now consigned to history, just like the real thing!

post-7061-0-66372500-1302887658_thumb.jpg

2nd June 1962, N class mogul runs into Carrick Road with a

Milk train due for Waterloo.

Think the coupling and lack of fish plates stands out!:(

• Like 2

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Have to agree with some of the comments regarding the point of this thread. But then something can look real to one person and not the next.

Here is an exmple or two of things that jarr to me. Thats not to say they are wrong but they spoil the illusion of reality for me.

1 - couplings. Sorry but nothing with tension locks or Kaydees when the prototype never had buckeyes is never going to look real to me. I am not advocating that people change the couplings that work for them but think about the shot and the best way to disguise the incorrect couplings.

2 - over wide wheels on large steam loco's. Sore thumb for sure. Again this can be disguised by thoughtfull photography (the picture directly above this post hides it very well) and use of angles. I am going to sound a horrendous snob for saying this but the low down cab end shot of a large steam loco (in 4mm scale) is never going to look realistic unless the model has scale wheels.

for others these things might be minor insignificance and thats the problem. Genarally most of the shots on here are better than average and occasionally a real gem pops up. I am not sure if its a problem TBH

Cheers

Jim

Not my pic, so I can't post it directly here, but this is one of the most realistic model pictures that I've ever seen:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fiRxgwbHTQk/TIDL39ffTcI/AAAAAAAABFI/fD81hpJnpnU/s1600/LT+Enginehouse+Shot+23x.jpg

From here:

http://thursdaynightrr.blogspot.com/2010/09/rising-star.html

Possibly not the place for it, but I thought it deserved as wide an audience as possible.

• Like 4

Guest jim s-w

Hi Martin

It's great but the control room of the crane looks very like translucent plastic to me.

Cheers

Jim

Regarding loco weathering, young people can only go off photos and so we get back to the old chestbut that information is not knowledge. Colour photography plus colour printing exagerates and saturates certain hues and colours. The further we step back from a real loco, the less distinct is detail, therefore an impression of weathering works better on models. Capturing in-service weathering can soon turn to an out-of-service rusting hulk if one isn't careful.

• Like 1