Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Guest LNER Tom

post-4446-0-76506700-1299362943_thumb.jpg Inspired by a old Mike Mensing pic, 2x Lima 40s pass Donnington depot on a parcels serice.

Don't know how you do it gonzo76, but the colour of the photo...the layout, the weathering.....straight out of the 1960s! Bravo chap! :)

• RMweb Gold

An old box camera pic that I found in the Industrial Railway Society archives.

And a view from the engineering workshop, Bury, Thorn & Sons Ltd.

I do like the view from inside the gloom looking outwards. An view not often seen and very effective!

• RMweb Premium

Hi All, just finished this Cl.25 and thought it might enjoy an outing on this post.

post-10896-0-49131400-1299708797_thumb.jpg

D5182 simmers in the loading dock bay at 'Junction Lane Goods' just at the entrance. The summer sun has dried out the Winter's application of muck and she could do with a visit to the washer!

• Like 6

Guest LNER Tom

Very good Phil, that's some very nice weathering on D5182, very nice shot indeed. Your track weathering looks quite realistic indeed....envious ;) :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Very good Phil, that's some very nice weathering on D5182, very nice shot indeed. Your track weathering looks quite realistic indeed....envious ;) :lol:

Hi Tom, thanks for kind comments, getting the track to your own taste (and thats the important bit) is an evolution. I swapped from Peco to SMP 20 years ago cos I just love bullhead rail :) . Most of the track on this layout is recycled from previous incarnations and some of it tests the best locos to the limit!!! The track weathering is simply an overall coat of sleeper grime, some areas have had the rail sides painted (tedious job!) with a Humbrol colour, rail rust I believe, but I don;t think you can get it anymore? The shade is a very subtle contrast to the sleepers, which works for me. Ballast is a mixture of N chippings & black powder paint stuck with dilute PVA. Cheers Phil.

Thanks. I also found this clip of old silent cine film. ;)

That's a really good start chap. My only criticism - and its one I've had to learn for my own filming - is that when you're that close to the models, you need to get the camera down to a realistic "eyeline", so somewhere around the bottom of the buffers, looking up.

I'm lucky in that the camera I use gives good quality, and allows such an eyeline.

Here's one of my own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWwrCeGOJIc

Not 100% happy with it, but I wanted to show something similar I'd been working on.

EDIT: and my god, I wish I'd removed that tension lock before filming! :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

Guest jim s-w

on the subject of non-rail parcels vehicles...

tug%20final.jpg

My scratch built rendition of one of New Street's reliance mercuries.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 19

All that's missing, Jim, is a couple of spotters with bags, lunches and Combines spread across the BRUTEs .....

Aaaahh... Happy memories!!! :) :) :) B) ;)

On Summer Saturdays you had to get to New Street early to even stand a chance of getting a BRUTE to sit on....

Jim, BR's apt building site yellow complete with rust that had replaced the maroon of earlier times on platform vehicles is well captured, particularly as the vehicle itself must be very small in 4mm. The 1970's town and inner city grot is not an era I personally would wish to revisit, but it hasn't prevented me from appreciating good modelling.:)