Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Hopefully pillar progress later.

I hope people will take N more seriously as its got so much potential. There seems to be the mindset in the modelling community that small scale means less detail. What we end up with is reams of N layouts that are barely more the trainsets with little in fine detail and stock pretty much out of the box. There are some cracking N layouts around but they are in the minority. I am trying to approach this project with no less concern with detail as I would 4mm or even 7mm for that matter. Hopefully it will show what is possible in the smaller scales and hope to dispell the myth that N is for long trains with less detail and it larger scales if you want something that looks like the real thing. Hopefully I can pull it off!

I completely agree. In my opinion, there is still too much toy-box modelling in N. There is absolutely no reason why it can't be as convincing as the larger scales, or even more so given its scale advantages of being able to fit much more into a given space. There is no excuse in technical terms - the detailing on the rolling stock and its running qualities is every bit as good as the larger scales. Even the problems with track appearance are now being dealt with. What it needs is a shift in mind set and this kind of work can only help! Well done.

Hopefully pillar progress later.

I hope people will take N more seriously as its got so much potential. There seems to be the mindset in the modelling community that small scale means less detail. What we end up with is reams of N layouts that are barely more the trainsets with little in fine detail and stock pretty much out of the box. There are some cracking N layouts around but they are in the minority. I am trying to approach this project with no less concern with detail as I would 4mm or even 7mm for that matter. Hopefully it will show what is possible in the smaller scales and hope to dispell the myth that N is for long trains with less detail and it larger scales if you want something that looks like the real thing. Hopefully I can pull it off!

The way your going about it you'll pull it off spectacularly .

Think ill pencil in ponty show for 2015 to come see it.

N gauge is where it's at .

It's the new 00 and it can only get better with the technology that's evolving .

Brian

Thats praise indeed. Cheers chaps. Well I didnt get the ply cut as the stonework is a bit more complex than you would first think. Instead I have carefully marked out what I need to cut. Will hopefully get to cut soon!

• Like 1

Hi George. The numbers overhead flashes and double arrowss are fox. The railfreight logos are railtec. I prefer the railtec numbers too if Im honest As the font looks better and the carrier it very thin but I didnt have close to the numbersets I needed in them and would have had to have put on every number individually which isnt so good in railtec decals as the ink tends to rub off the more you handle them which can be frustrating.

Hi Ben I will do a step by step as I have been asked also be Jonas to show whats done. I dont lower the ride height as the buffers then sit too low but instead remove the sideframes and reattach them about a millimeter higher up. The wheel centres are then a little off but you really cannot tell without major scrutineering and its impossible from a standard slightly downward looking position.Even from this angle you cant tell.

post-6894-0-17639300-1390381383.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 10

I agree Jeremy. I was going to have a pair of railfreight ones but when I got the first triple grey one I chickened out thinking that I wouldnt be able to remove the ridge of paint where the greys met without a full strip. On this one it all worked out fine with fine wet and dry and a glass fibre pen. Jobs a good un.

Edited by RBE