Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

Could be you were spot on Dave - I found the picture (not mine to publish) of one of the two Mk3a TSO's in the works for Chris Green's livery "experiments" and dated 2 September 1984 - it's shown during ETH & flash testing so it couldn't have been far off release. After he viewed them with the Scottish Region Board members at Queen Street the vehicles were outshopped in ScotRail livery from then on.

I've seen that Photo Bob, from what I remember the blue stripe was a lot darker on that particular MK3 - almost a BR Rail Blue and then as you say, they settled for the lighter blue ( Provincial Light Blue ) in the end.

cheers

Andy

Chris's last attempt to keep the independence of the British Rail (Scottish Region) Board and out of the hands of that sector that wasn't to be mentioned - "Provincial" - You're right Andy it was Rail Blue - though I don't wonder if wasn't let down with a bit of black.  He'd a couple of trips up to the works to see 12019 being painted and I'd heard that it got "tweaked" before they took (I'm certain it was two) different liveried vehicles and displayed them for the Board Members on Platform 6 at Queen St.  Whatever happened they were there for all of 45" before they settled on the light blue and without that old "Executive" livery add on up to the weld line....

Edited by Bob Reid

Looks like Bachmann have also managed to ensure that all windows are correctly either clear or tinted glazing. I am thinking of the short cut that OR took with their new Mk3a coaches where they tinted the toilet and vestibule windows which despite the low price just detracts from a decent model.  When Bachmann do these things at least they do it all right.  Pricey yes but they are ruddy good models.

Edited by ThaneofFife

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't know if this is news, but Bachmann is showing the DBSO Driving Brake Second Open in BR blue and grey on the news bit of their website (it's actually an item on their attending the London Festival of Railway Modelling this coming weekend) -

http://news.Bachmann.co.uk/2018/03/Bachmann-on-the-road-alexandra-palace/

John Storey

I don't know if this is news, but Bachmann is showing the DBSO Driving Brake Second Open in BR blue and grey on the news bit of their website (it's actually an item on their attending the London Festival of Railway Modelling this coming weekend) -

"One of the models that will be on show is our OO Branchline model of the Mk2F DBSO in BR Blue & Grey, which is pictured above. This will be present with the rest of the OO scale Mk2Fs in their current livery sample stage."

So not hidden from view in the 'members room' this time...    :scratchhead:

Edited by YesTor

John Storey

The painted samples were on display at Model Rail Glasgow in Feb and they looked very nice indeed....

Hornby missed out on my money with their Mk 2e's. Oxford missed out with their Mk 3's too. It's looking like Bachmann are going to be getting the lion's share of my modelling budget this year (yet again). 

I can't wait for the DBSO's in particular.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 3

John Storey

I see that they've still got the small deflector plough fitted on the blue/grey sample though! tut tut..........

I've got a couple of the ScotRail versions on pre-order and getting like a kid on the run up to Christmas now!

cheers

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Considering how long this has been in the making does the window height look correct, the grey banding below the window should be more than that above, on the model dbso it looks equal.

After Hornby's appalling effort on its Blue/Grey Mk2E TSO, I have been watching this closely and I think Bachmann's Mk2fs are Ok. If you look at the admittedly not side on image in this post #534 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69220-Bachmann-announce-mk2fs/?p=3063047 it does to me look like the grey band below the windows is slightly deeper than that above.

After Hornby's appalling effort on its Blue/Grey Mk2E TSO, I have been watching this closely and I think Bachmann's Mk2fs are Ok. If you look at the admittedly not side on image in this post #534 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69220-Bachmann-announce-mk2fs/?p=3063047 it does to me look like the grey band below the windows is slightly deeper than that above.

Yes, the blue and white stripes are too low on the painted sample. Quite noticeable if you look at the horizontal row of protrusions below the door handles. These are blue on the prototype but white on the painted sample.

Considering how long this has been in the making does the window height look correct, the grey banding below the window should be more than that above, on the model dbso it looks equal.

Possibly,  but any issue of the Dark Grey band may be caused by the Blue/White stripes being applied bit low, and also the the light Grey band above the windows perhaps being marginally too narrow, but it still looks good and the colours appear pretty accurate..unlike those new MK3's ! 

Edited by tractor_37260

I think that Delticfan,Brushman and me were on about the BR blue/grey model.

Yes I did comment on the blue grey dbso. It would be nice to get this right as it does alter the overall look not that you measure it but you do expect more grey below than above the window not equal equal.

Few pics taken yesterday at the York show. These look very impressive and personally can't wait for the DBSO

Interesting to see a buffet first in blue/grey as this is a preservation era livery only as they were only rebuilt from open firsts in the Inter-City livery era.

It's just the version they used for the paint/decoration sample Robert - 398-685DC is being sold as the "as preserved" version c/w the CDL equipment, yellow edge stepboards and the (hard to see) orange washing line....

Edited by Bob Reid

Saw the blue grey ones at York and they look right. Resisted the temptation to ask the smug Bachmann reps which Xmas they were due after I was told Xmas 2016 two years ago lol.

I hate to break it to you but we've all had ours since then - you were on Santa's "Naughty List" ;)

Edited by frobisher