Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

• RMweb Gold

early inter-city seats in second class were like a bluey colour from the faded memory.  not grey.

in first class you had the bright orange curtains and orange moquette seats. 

I think they were red once the executive livery came along (not sure if we had moved on from 2nd to standard class at that point)  but it might have been later during the swallow times.  first class I think had a purple trim fabric. 

If my memory recalls correct, red striped seats became common after the BREL international train.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Interesting year for Scottish modelling in 2018...

In the space of months we will go from nothing in years, to a full Edinburgh- Glasgow Push Pull set.. DBSO and 47’s from Bachmann, Mk3’s in Scotrail from Oxford class 29 from Dapol and more 26’s from Heljan, a J36 from Hornby there’s even a few Scottish Barclays from Hattons.

And they Southerners get it all their own way ;-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Interesting year for Scottish modelling in 2018...

In the space of months we will go from nothing in years, to a full Edinburgh- Glasgow Push Pull set.. DBSO and 47’s from Bachmann, Mk3’s in Scotrail from Oxford class 29 from Dapol and more 26’s from Heljan, a J36 from Hornby there’s even a few Scottish Barclays from Hattons.

And they Southerners get it all their own way ;-)

I wouldn't hold my breath on the 29!! ... all the rest fantastic though!!

• RMweb Premium

early inter-city seats in second class were like a bluey colour from the faded memory.  not grey.

in first class you had the bright orange curtains and orange moquette seats. 

I think they were red once the executive livery came along (not sure if we had moved on from 2nd to standard class at that point)  but it might have been later during the swallow times.  first class I think had a purple trim fabric. 

Mk2f coaches had two different types of seat. Those with wings were the same as fitted to the Mk2e and were a dark blue moquette. The newer IC70(?) seats were without wings and had arm rests between them. To be avoided on overnights as seriously uncomfortable! Those seats were a light blue moquette.

Mk2f coaches had two different types of seat. Those with wings were the same as fitted to the Mk2e and were a dark blue moquette. The newer IC70(?) seats were without wings and had arm rests between them. To be avoided on overnights as seriously uncomfortable! Those seats were a light blue moquette.

So versions shown using generic grey seats without the wings are wrong? Will the production releases have painted seats like Oxford Rail MK3a?

I'm sure that, if they are released with a monochrome non-wing seat and can be safely dismantled, that a fine paintbrush and orange/turquoise/pinky-grey/vivid red paint (as appropriate) and some colour mid way between hearing aid beige and sour milk for the table tops will enhance the models immeasurably, and you'll be able, digitally speaking, to stick two fingers up to the snarky set on these forums who bemoan "box openers" by saying that you've lightly modified RTR by doing some modelling.

Alternatively, and here's an off the wall suggestion, based on past experience with Train Simulator photo-real interior textures, see if you can find some colour photos of the differing moquettes (there are some interior shots on places like flickr) and copy and paste some into a photo shop type software to print out on a colour printer, cut it into strips and stick it on the seats. Might be a tad OCD but it's real modelling!

• Like 2

This is a Mark 3 but the seat colours were the same on a Mark 2f second with IC70 seats (all but around 40 of them):

8720750491_4287ec177a_z.jpgMkIII coach - original second class interior by Thomas, on Flickr

And a first - again a Mark 3 but same seats as a 2f:

8720750371_cb93e1bd5f_z.jpgMkIII coach - original first class interior by Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 5

Hopefully these will have some kind of painted interior, money waiting to replace the current Hornby examples with these but at the price being requested in my opinion the interior should be painted like Oxford Rail MK3a examples. Are Bachmann not going to attempt the wings on some of the seats the prototype will have had?

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully these will have some kind of painted interior, money waiting to replace the current Hornby examples with these but at the price being requested in my opinion the interior should be painted like Oxford Rail MK3a examples. Are Bachmann not going to attempt the wings on some of the seats the prototype will have had?

Have we seen the interiors of the Bachmann models? I can't remember what percentage of the Mk2fs had IC70 seats, but there were enough of both types for Bachmann to only need to tool one version of the interior seating to keep them going for years. IIRC all the Mk2fs converted to Gatwick Express stock were IC70 versions thereby reducing the ratio of Mk2fs in normal service with IC70s.

Have we seen the interiors of the Bachmann models? I can't remember what percentage of the Mk2fs had IC70 seats, but there were enough of both types for Bachmann to only need to tool one version of the interior seating to keep them going for years. IIRC all the Mk2fs converted to Gatwick Express stock were IC70 versions thereby reducing the ratio of Mk2fs in normal service with IC70s.

From what has been released in terms of samples the seating looks an unpainted generic grey which is not like the prototype it would seem.

Apparently (according to the Nigel Harris Mk2 book) three the TSO's originally selected for the Gatwick Express conversion had the earlier (winged) seats which caused a problem.

They therefore had to be refitted with the Inter City 70 seats (though with a reduction in the seating capacity from 64 to 56 to make way for the extra luggage racks there may have been enough spare seats anyway).

Edited by jonathan452

From reading the above I would recommend that nobody buys the new Bachmann Mk2f because the seats are the wrong colour and won't have wings, the air conditioning fans won't be turning, the springs on the bogies do not compress and the brakes don't stay on if there is no air in the brake system.

Anyone who doesn't agree with the above will obviously be able to supply their own, far better, model.

• Like 2

From reading the above I would recommend that nobody buys the new Bachmann Mk2f because the seats are the wrong colour and won't have wings, the air conditioning fans won't be turning, the springs on the bogies do not compress and the brakes don't stay on if there is no air in the brake system.

Anyone who doesn't agree with the above will obviously be able to supply their own, far better, model.

When we are paying £50 - £70 for these coaches, I think an interior with grey, uncoloured plastic is unacceotable, especially given how obvious it'll be with the full lighting arrangements. 

Yes but all this hand wringing is based on the assumption that what you will be getting is what was seen on the 1st EP's and the sample (exterior) painted 1st EP's...  Could be worse you could get an Oxfordrail 3a TSO with orange painted seats for less money :)

Graham, please send me as many Airfix 2d BSO as you can spare and endless pots of cash. :

• Like 1

they are being sold as having detailed interiors.  I think they will be decorated to at least the same standard as the Blue Pullman coaches were.  the lighting inside would not render a dull grey general moulding inside as a feast for the eyes.

we have seen painted samples of the outside. it would be good to see another short video from Bachmann demonstrating the lighting on the painted versions with a look inside the coaches that you didn't get with the first video. 

• Like 2

we have seen painted samples of the outside. it would be good to see another short video from Bachmann demonstrating the lighting on the painted versions with a look inside the coaches that you didn't get with the first video. 

The samples seen so far and illustrated in the catalogue are all hand painted though, there haven't been any factory finished models shown as yet.

Mail from Hattons today advising the RRP for the MK2 DBSO's and DCC fitted Mk2F coaches now increased to £79.95  - Hattons price £67.96.........................

Edit: Hopefully the Scot Exec DBSO and MK2F Exec BSO don't arrive as per the photos on Hatton's site ! 

Looks like DCC versions will be around £20 more than non DCC versions.

A bit frustrated as a non DCC modeller with no intentions of going DCC that I am going to have to pay an extra £20 for each of the the two (DCC) DBSOs I was planning to buy to replace my conversions I did years ago.  I don't assume there will be a market for chips removed from DBSOs.  I appreciate it may not that straightforward as the non DCC version would have hopefully had working lights like a non DCC loco, mind you this was achieved years ago with dummy HST power cars.  This may be the reason why Bachmann have opted for the approach they have taken.  Nevertheless would have much preferred to have the option for a slightly cheaper non DCC version.

It will almost be like a buy 2 get one free deal in reverse for me, buy 2 DCC versions for (almost) the price of 3 non DCC coaches.

This is a Mark 3 but the seat colours were the same on a Mark 2f second with IC70 seats (all but around 40 of them):

8720750491_4287ec177a_z.jpgMkIII coach - original second class interior by Thomas, on Flickr

Almost but not quite? I believe (from memory) that the Mk2f's and the very first Mk3a's had a more turquoise shade of blue with more distinct light brown horizontal bands. This revised version appeared as the Mk3a build proceeded and the first HST trailers entered service.

You are right. The seat backs/shell is brown GRP not white/cream as on the Mk3.

Mk2f interior shot about 5 mins into this..https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mYi1qLUAJJI

Screen shots for anyone that does not want to watch

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-19 at 22.33.47.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-19 at 22.34.53.png

Is that Melvin Bragg or michael palin in the bottom picture?
  • Like 1