Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

whats not been discussed (probably too soon unless somebody has spoken to a Bachmann rep on the subject?)  is whether you can maybe turn the lights on in a complete rake with the push of a single function button.  not sure if you can program each decoder with the same address to do that or whether its a case of entering each coach address then setting on the lights you want which if you have a couple of lengthy rakes will take a fair bit of time or you leave them on switch off the layout power then.when you run trains at your next session and switch the power back on the decoders all remember what the setting was before power was switched off and return to that setting ie; all lights come back on.

the Bachmann video shows the 3 coaches each controlled separately but not together.  maybe that's how they will operate.

It will depend on how you plan using the coaches.  Provided you plan using them in a fixed formation rake, all could be set to the same address to work on/off together. However if your going to mix and match the coaches in different rakes, then individual addresses would be better - maybe a part of the coach number etc ?  It's likely, but as yet to be confirmed, that these coaches will come with on-board decoders, probably initially set to address 03 as per locos. Depending on the quality of the decoders used, it may be possible to have different lighting effects avail - i e dimming / flickering / soft start etc etc. Most current quality loco decoders/systems remember function settings, this option being adjustable on some systems, Lenz being one, so that any lighting that is switched ON when the power is switched off, once powered up again, the lights come back on.  

the Bachmann video shows the 3 coaches each controlled separately but not together.  maybe that's how they will operate.

It looks likely that the coaches in the video have different addresses, but it should be possible to set them all to the same address, if required, as per locos.

It looks likely that the coaches in the video have different addresses, but it should be possible to set them all to the same address, if required, as per locos.

IIRC, its the other way round, they will all be supplied with the same address (3 I think) and if wanted can be altered to individual addresses.

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, its the other way round, they will all be supplied with the same address (3 I think) and if wanted can be altered to individual addresses.

Just remember to have one in the train with no lighting, and a whole bunch of passengers standing in the vestibules and aisles of the one either side.. that’s how I always remembered them.

Would it be possible to clear something up regarding the Intercity release?

Assuming I am reading everything right the latest painted samples show the older style livery with original lettering and no CDL, no issue there

The RFB though can only be produced with the later italicised logo and CDL’s can it not

How does that work then? You’d have thought the intercity releases would have all been the same variant to allow a rake to be produced. Yes you could change the logos to the later style but they won’t be CDL fitted so the RFB will look a little odd as being the only one fitted

Ah right thanks, didn't realise they were converted as early as that, had 91/92 in my head for some reason

So if they produced the RFB it's CDL and the SO/BSO with out it's still going to look odd

Assume while rakes went in for fitting at the same time as opposed to odd vehicles so the chance of mixed rakes were slim?

You'd have thought they produce the same style at the same time, for the sake of arguments a batch of early logo / non CDL and then another run with later logo and CDL fitted

When did the fitting of CDL begin in the mainstream? I am sure I have seen pictures of MK2 rakes with some coaches having CDL in place but others not, from the early 90s?

93 rings a bell for fleet fitment of CDL, remember going on train the trainer course at Crewe loco works.

were the Liverpool/ Manchester to London Pullmans made up of mk2f coaches or were these earlier mk2d or e?  wonder if we will see Pullman Mk2s.

They were a unique design based on the Mk2a but with very different window layout and size, and recessed doors. Given Hornby have a Pullman fetish they could make amends for their steam OCD by doing the Mk2 Pullmans. For most of their operational life they were indeed only vacuum braked, even when first turned out in Inter City Executive, so couldn't be hauled by Class 87 which were airbrake only, at least until they were modified with air brakes when transferred to the charter unit, but if that means they have to do a Class 86 as well, I personally don't see a problem!

Mind you Bachmann did do the Met Cam east Coast Pullmans, and have an 85 in the range, and of course did the first type of Manchester Pullman. Perhaps we should be lobbying Barwell and leave the red boxers to carry on making old farts Pullmans for their tea urns to drag.

You never know, pretty much every other type of Pullman has been modelled now. Because the Mk2 Pullmans were only ever vacuum braked, I think you would need someone to announce an AL6/class 86 first.

The survivors have had air brakes fitted for some years now. Probably since BR sold them.

Looking at the latest Bachmann videos that shows the MK2s they are indeed in Intercity Executive livery and not swallow, glad I kept hold of my existing Hornby releases in this livery. Unlikely we will get an Intercity swallow version from Bachmann until at least well into 2019 at the very earliest and likely much later.

I've emailed Bachmann about their Mk1 BG vans and Restaurants to suggest having the option of DCC on board future models so that you can have a complete train that illuminates. OK the BG isn't really necessary but the buffets would be in a rake of Mk2f's.  Its been passed on the R&D team - I know in reality it will probably only come about from a retool of the Mk1 range but you never know....maybe it is possible to build the system in at the factory to existing Mk1s with the pick ups on the bogies etc..

I know some on here aren't bothered about running trains in the dark but Bachmann are continually adding to their Just Plug lighting system now including buildings with pre-fitted interior lights, they've launched these dcc on board mk2 coaches, Hornby have their coaches with lighting, Oxford are yet to confirm if the new Mk3 coaches will be available with lights, I think Bachmann pioneered the first diesels to have cab and corridor lighting, we have colour light signals and street lights so theres a market for recreating realistic night time operations in my book.  When I had my old layout I found it took on a great atmosphere quite different from day time running.  It just took you right into that miniature world.

• Like 3

I wonder if the chance to offer a lit Mk1 restaurant might come with the research and development of the BEP? I know the catering car in a BEP is different to the loco hauled versions but it might be possible to use the chassis components, circuitry and other electrickery from the Mk1 BEP buffet in a similarly shaped loco hauled carriage.

They could even do a new tool RBR which was last released by Mainline and was more usual in the late 1970s onwards.

Looking at the latest Bachmann videos that shows the MK2s they are indeed in Intercity Executive livery and not swallow, glad I kept hold of my existing Hornby releases in this livery. Unlikely we will get an Intercity swallow version from Bachmann until at least well into 2019 at the very earliest and likely much later.

Got a link at all?

The only difference for coaching stock in relation to whether it's Inter-City or Swallow liveried, is the font. The actual Exec Dark grey(top), red and white striping, then the exec light grey( bottom ) was not changed at all with the advent of 'Swallow' livery - therefore, it is a very simple matter of removing the old style inter-city lettering and replacing with some nice shiny 'swallow' style Inter-city' transfers.

Robert is then very much your Mother's brother.

cheers

Andy

• Like 1

Got a link at all?

The only difference for coaching stock in relation to whether it's Inter-City or Swallow liveried, is the font. The actual Exec Dark grey(top), red and white striping, then the exec light grey( bottom ) was not changed at all with the advent of 'Swallow' livery - therefore, it is a very simple matter of removing the old style inter-city lettering and replacing with some nice shiny 'swallow' style Inter-city' transfers.

Robert is then very much your Mother's brother.

cheers

Andy

The numbers were reduced from 100mm to 75mm in height for Swallow and the first class numbers changed from black and below the door windows to silver in line with the toilet windows. As you said, apart from those changes it was basically the same livery.

• Like 2

Mail from Hattons today advising the RRP for the MK2 DBSO's and DCC fitted Mk2F coaches now increased to £79.95  - Hattons price £67.96.........................

Edit: Hopefully the Scot Exec DBSO and MK2F Exec BSO don't arrive as per the photos on Hatton's site ! 

Edited by tractor_37260

Mail from Hattons today advising the RRP for the MK2 DBSO's and DCC fitted Mk2F coaches now increased to £79.95  - Hattons price £67.96.........................

It looks at least like we have formal prices for the MK2s now. For reference, the newly announced Hornby Virgin DVT 82141 is retailing at a very comparable £60.00 at Hattons.

Just for completeness I have had an email from Hattons to say that the rrp for the "non DCC" TSO and FO in blue and grey is now £54.95 giving a sales price of £46.71

Less than £50 for a brand new model, I'll take that as a positive.

• Like 1

Did these coaches not have a dark red seat in standard Class during the late 80's? The model seems to use grey seating, not how I recall them, happy to be corrected but I seem to recall them being red?

early inter-city seats in second class were like a bluey colour from the faded memory.  not grey.

in first class you had the bright orange curtains and orange moquette seats. 

I think they were red once the executive livery came along (not sure if we had moved on from 2nd to standard class at that point)  but it might have been later during the swallow times.  first class I think had a purple trim fabric. 

Edit: Hopefully the Scot Exec DBSO and MK2F Exec BSO don't arrive as per the photos on Hatton's site ! 

wow.   lovely models but stiff pricing....I'm going to use the cancel option on my pre-order and just buy a couple a test base......I think these will be slow burn sellers with folk buying one or two a month maybe.   I cant afford to buy the planned 16 coaches I wanted in one hit now.  The original price on pre-order was something like £38 a pop but that was 2 or 3 years back. 

I will hope to buy more if they hit the discount columns.  I don't think me waiting is a dangerous game with others rushing to snap them up.   I really dont think they will sell like that where you have a you snooze you lose  "sold out" scenario. cant see it. 

• RMweb Gold

I've emailed Bachmann about their Mk1 BG vans and Restaurants to suggest having the option of DCC on board future models so that you can have a complete train that illuminates. OK the BG isn't really necessary but the buffets would be in a rake of Mk2f's.  Its been passed on the R&D team - I know in reality it will probably only come about from a retool of the Mk1 range but you never know....maybe it is possible to build the system in at the factory to existing Mk1s with the pick ups on the bogies etc..

I know some on here aren't bothered about running trains in the dark but Bachmann are continually adding to their Just Plug lighting system now including buildings with pre-fitted interior lights, they've launched these dcc on board mk2 coaches, Hornby have their coaches with lighting, Oxford are yet to confirm if the new Mk3 coaches will be available with lights, I think Bachmann pioneered the first diesels to have cab and corridor lighting, we have colour light signals and street lights so theres a market for recreating realistic night time operations in my book.  When I had my old layout I found it took on a great atmosphere quite different from day time running.  It just took you right into that miniature world.

I think Triang (maybe even Trix) pioneered lights in both diesels/ electrics and coaches in 00 Gauge back in the 1960s. 

In other gauges it may have been back in the 1930s.

I have a 1970s GW Brake Van with working lights from Hornby somewhere, and in the 1980s Hornby Released a Duchess with lights, and an 8F with firebox glow.

Bachmann did not pioneer working lights on stock.

UK oo gauge RTR with lights I can think from memory include:

Hornby: Class 25, HST, Duchess, Toad Brake Van, 8F (Glowing Firebox)

Trix : 81,124, 52

Triang : MetCam 79xxx DMU, MK1's

Other UK RTR innovations I can think include:

Smokebox interior = Triang M7

Sound = Triang B12

Hopper Wagon Discharge = Triang

working mail coach = Triang

Level Crossing = Triang

Conainter terminal = Lima

Turntable = Triang

Crane = Triang

Track cleaning (liquid containing) tank wagon = Piko

Track Cleaning (scraper) = Hornby

Dead Rail (Battery Powered) = Hornby

Digital Control (Zero 1) = Hornby

I think I first saw opening doors on Locos back in 2000 with Proto 2000 in the US, but in the UK I think this was the classes 31 and 50, but i thought Triang might have had a mk2 that did this too ?

Triang gave a lot to the hobby, and without it, it's fair to say much of todays enthusiasts wouldnt be enthusiasts without it. Sadly that lesson has been forgotten by manufacturers and most of what made them what they are, is in the bin and kids today have no idea what they have missed.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

wow.   lovely models but stiff pricing....I'm going to use the cancel option on my pre-order and just buy a couple a test base......I think these will be slow burn sellers with folk buying one or two a month maybe.   I cant afford to buy the planned 16 coaches I wanted in one hit now.  The original price on pre-order was something like £38 a pop but that was 2 or 3 years back. 

I will hope to buy more if they hit the discount columns.  I don't think me waiting is a dangerous game with others rushing to snap them up.   I really dont think they will sell like that where you have a you snooze you lose  "sold out" scenario. cant see it.

I,m dropping the DCC ones I originally ordered for non DCC, I have some lighting kits to use up and not bothered about them being controlable on DCC.