Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Something else I've noticed with those two comparison images - The Bachmann one certainly shows up how 'square' the Hornby windows look, something that's always bugged me with the Hornby effort.

Being a little bit fairer though, I think we always knew that Hornby's efforts were always going to be 'knock em out' quickly models with an average mix of detail with an average price to boot, whereas Bachmann's was always going to be the full blown, higher detailed and more expensive efforts. Like a piece of steak for example, I could go to Tesco and buy a standard version (railroad) or a Finest version (Hornby main range), or I could go to Waitrose and buy one there (Bachmann).

Sorry, could you tell what I'm having for dinner tonight. :mosking:

Actually, I'll think you find Aldi is the best, in all seriousness, give it a try. Proving you can have high quality at reasonable price! I can't remember the actual description , but I think it's described as aged. Really succulent beef if you follow the instructions about allowing it to rest etc. Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

Actually, I'll think you find Aldi is the best, in all seriousness, give it a try. Proving you can have high quality at reasonable price!

Nope, not necessarily. There have been several press articles and TV programmes recently showing that Aldi (and Lydl) do not always offer best value and are certainly no longer the cheapest supermarkets.

G

I usually shop at Waitrose. I have one five minutes' walk from home. I'm planning on replacing my rather indifferent Hornby 2e set with Bachmann 2fs. The shape will be better, the detail will be better, the livery will (hopefully) be a lot better and the windows will look right. And I'm not in the least bit concerned about moulded grab handles, in fact I prefer them as the separate ones on some Hornby stock are too fragile and you can't tell the difference at normal viewing distances on the layout anyway.

Agreed - plastic handrails in particular are too fragile and it is a frustration that Bachmann doesn't have a spares service comparable to Hornby - (however thanks to RMwebbers who have helped me out in the past). Having seen the 3D samples - I have changed my mind on buying just the DBSO and am tempted to buy a rake - is there any info on whether Bachmann will be selling as a pack?

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Legend on this, Aldi and Lidl both offer excellent products at good value. Forget about the prices, I find many of their products such as chocolate, European cheeses and meats are at least as good as the more upscale alternatives at lower cost. But that's just me. Aldi do an excellent creamy dark chocolate which is as good as boutique chocolatier stuff in my opinion despite being 85p for a large bar. Tip top it is.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, interesting to see they're choosing to model the Cargo D Mk2 RMBs!

Before someone takes this as gospel, it's a typo by Bachmann or the OP. The vehicle being produced is the Mk2f RFB not a Mk1 RMB, which has long been in the Bachmann range.

Edited by brushman47544

Per Harris, the FOs with Stone Platt air conditioning were 3276-3320 and 3357-81, so 70 in total out of 164 built. Conversions to buffet and to SO and later TSO with new seats included ones from these batches.

Bachmann need to avoid these numbers unless they have tooled for the Stones version.

• Like 2

The DBSO is very nice and I would really love one but I am having a hard time justifying one, even from a rule 1 perspective.

I don't go past Intercity era, so I am limited to IC colours and Blue Grey.

What follows shows the limits of my research so I stand to be hopefully corrected and enlightened!

Now in Blue Grey they were only seen in Scotland on blue 47/7s and loco hauled Mk 3s. Problem: I have no 47/7s nor  loco hauled Blue/grey Mk3.

In IC colours, they were modified a lot, used on specially modified 86s. I have some loco hauled IC colours Mk3s and Mk2Ds except on these trains they used IC coloured Mk2E and F (and all of my Mk2E and 2Fs being Blue/Grey!).

An alternative idea is to buy the DBSO in Scotrail colours along with a 47/7 and then Oxford Mk 3s in Blue grey. Were Scotrail and Bluegrey coaches ever mixed for push pull work?

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium

Being a little bit fairer though, I think we always knew that Hornby's efforts were always going to be 'knock em out' quickly models with an average mix of detail with an average price to boot, whereas Bachmann's was always going to be the full blown, higher detailed and more expensive efforts. Like a piece of steak for example, I could go to Tesco and buy a standard version (railroad) or a Finest version (Hornby main range), or I could go to Waitrose and buy one there (Bachmann).

I'm not that fussy with models.

But the Hornby solebar just looks too wrong to me. It's quite narrow, but it changes the whole look of the model.

• RMweb Gold

The DBSO is very nice and I would really love one but I am having a hard time justifying one, even from a rule 1 perspective.

What follows shows the limits of my research so I stand to be hopefully corrected and enlightened!

Now in Blue Grey they were only seen in Scotland on blue 47/7s and loco hauled Mk 3s. Problem: I have no 47/7s nor loco hauled Blue/grey Mk3.

In IC colours, they were modified a lot, used on specially modified 86s. I have some loco hauled IC colours Mk3s and Mk2Ds except on these trains they used IC coloured Mk2E and F (and all of my Mk2E and 2Fs being Blue/Grey!).

An alternative idea is to buy the DBSO in Scotrail colours along with a 47/7 and then Oxford Mk 3s in Blue grey. Were Scotrail and Bluegrey coaches ever mixed for push pull work?

Mixed Scotrail/ blue grey rakes were quite common when the Scotrail livery was first introduced.

This was once posted to RMWeb http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2010/post-3695-012747100%201290036531_thumb.jpg

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Now in Blue Grey they were only seen in Scotland on blue 47/7s and loco hauled Mk 3s. Problem: I have no 47/7s nor  loco hauled Blue/grey Mk3.

are there any photos of the non-airconditioned Mk2s on a blue and grey DBSO push-pull rake? I know a set remained from the Class 27s on the push-pull workings and later coaches made it into push pull rakes in Scotrail livery, but not sure if they were used with a spare DBSO prior to the additional 47/7s being converted.

Even a Deltic hauled a push-pull rake on a West Highland tour or normal 47s on service trains if there was a lack of 47/7s or 20s or 26's or 37s on empty stock workings

I thought the Scotrail livery was applied pretty rapidly to the push-pull sets, but there must have been some overlap

As you say Gordon, one disc brake Mk2 set from the old push-pulls was retained and kept formed (in general) and from fairly early on the only change was substituting the BSO for one of the spare DBSO's so it was formed 47/7 - TSO - TSO - TSO  - TSO - FK - DBSO.  At least in 1982, it was working out and back in the evenings on a Queen St.  - Dundee but later (possibly the next year)? the same set/formation was working Edinburgh-Dundee's.  All of course was in blue & grey before they were repainted circa 1985

Mixed Scotrail/ blue grey rakes were quite common when the Scotrail livery was first introduced.

This was once posted to RMWeb http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2010/post-3695-012747100%201290036531_thumb.jpg

Roy

Thanks, that photo is exciting as it shows mostly plain Mk 2 stock, with one aircom and one of Mk 1 parcels van all in blue grey.

Albeit, I would have to add lights to non aircon mk 2s.

• RMweb Gold

It should really have been obvious to Hornby (if they had been bothered to even think) that the grills for the air conditioning ducts would be at the same end as the air conditioning unit roof hatch!

Lots of photos of Mk2 air cons here:http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p46631637

It's not an air con unit under that hatch it's a toilet water tank.

It's not an air con unit under that hatch it's a toilet water tank.

Not according to the exploded diagram of a Mk2d FO on page 68 in the Harris book British Rail Mark 2 Coaches. It is labelled "Access panel to air conditioning fan unit"

Roy

I think that's a photo of the Jacobite service that was put on to compete with the new bus services at the time.....they were often 47/4 hauled Edited by tractor_37260

Quite a few of the 2f open firsts had Stones air-con, ..

Some of the buffet conversions were also Stones ones.

Bachmann are aware of the two different air-con systems on the Mk2F FO coaches, I emailed one of their employees with regard to this yesterday.

I have previously asked whether Bachmann had thought of producing the Stones equipment and pressure ventilation unit so that a late build Mk2E could be made in the future. I got the feeling that they were trying to get the Mk2F stock sorted before for they even contemplated any other options.

• Like 2

Bachmann are aware of the two different air-con systems on the Mk2F FO coaches, I emailed one of their employees with regard to this yesterday.

I have previously asked whether Bachmann had thought of producing the Stones equipment and pressure ventilation unit so that a late build Mk2E could be made in the future. I got the feeling that they were trying to get the Mk2F stock sorted before for they even contemplated any other options.

Good news.

If I recall correctly all the 2e BSOs had the deep door droplights but the 2e TSO and FO would be easier. Are there any detail parts available that could be used to convert a 2f to a 2e?

...Are there any detail parts available that could be used to convert a 2f to a 2e?

Not that I know of, which is why I was going to use old Airfix ones. The Airfix First Opens are so prevalent, and normally cheap, that it seems worth buying a whole coach just for the underframe parts. You can always enlarge the windows, fit extreme etchings and make a Mk2C with the body. There is every chance that they will be even cheaper second hand when the Bachmann version comes out. The other option would be to use parts from the Hornby underframe, although I know that their m/a set looks a bit skinny so I'm not sure about the accuracy of the rest of the underframe.

Regarding the deeper door droplights, as my Dad has always said "It is far easier to remove plastic from a moulding than trying to add it". Making the droplights deeper on the Bachmann model shouldn't be too difficult to make the early version. In 1976, 44 of the 71 Western Region Mk2E TSO coaches had the early doors so in my case that would mean about three coaches for me to change, I reckon I can cope with that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

£63 pre-order price too.  Needs to be absolutely flawless at that money.........no window frame debacle like we have with the new Mk3a coaches. Not at this level but I have more faith in Bachmann to deliver.

Some painted samples at Warley would be great to see.......