Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

It's not an air con unit under that hatch it's a toilet water tank.

Under the hatch is the evaporator unit for the air conditioning unit, the condenser unit is the one located underneath. Cleaned enough of the bloody things.

Edited by 45125

£63 pre-order price too.  Needs to be absolutely flawless at that money.........no window frame debacle like we have with the new Mk3a coaches. Not at this level but I have more faith in Bachmann to deliver.

Some painted samples at Warley would be great to see.......

I haven't been following this thread too closely, so apologies if this has been covered already: does that price include a decoder? If so, it's not unreasonable, IMHO.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't been following this thread too closely, so apologies if this has been covered already: does that price include a decoder? If so, it's not unreasonable, IMHO.

Yes I think so. That's the box shifter price , I think the Bachmann price is £70 odd . The DBSO is only available DCC fitted , I think, but others are also available without the DCC gubbins and I think are priced around £45 at boxshifter.

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I read somewhere, not sure where, but maybe related to Andy's visit to Bachmann Open day in July , that the lights will work on DC in the normal manner i.e. When there's power on the track. My issue is I use HF trackcleaners, that work well for me, so I'm not sure if I'll fry the chip and does that matter as I'm not operating it DCC anyway. I'd rather just have a basic carriage to be honest and it may be I keep an eye on eBay for folks selling their old DBSOs when the Bachmann one appears .

Edited by Legend

I'm sure I read somewhere, not sure where, but maybe related to Andy's visit to Bachmann Open day in July , that the lights will work on DC in the normal manner i.e. When there's power on the track. My issue is I use HF trackcleaners, that work well for me, so I'm not sure if I'll fry the chip and does that matter as I'm not operating it DCC anyway. I'd rather just have a basic carriage to be honest and it may be I keep an eye on eBay for folks selling their old DBSOs when the Bachmann one appears .

I would assume (always dangerous) that a blanking plug could be fitted to return it to 'normal' operation.

I believe an HF track cleaner will fry a decoder, but if you don't want any function from it, then a dead decoder will do nothing, which may be exactly all you want it to do.

I find it very annoying that you would be forced to pay extra for something you don't want at all in the first place.

I use DCC & would much rather pay £10 less for the model then an extra £20 for a decoder I am happy with..if I wanted to add lights.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe an HF track cleaner will fry a decoder, but if you don't want any function from it, then a dead decoder will do nothing, which may be exactly all you want it to do.

I find it very annoying that you would be forced to pay extra for something you don't want at all in the first place.

I use DCC & would much rather pay £10 less for the model then an extra £20 for a decoder I am happy with..if I wanted to add lights.

As long as frying the decoder does not result in it getting red hot and melting /damaging surrounding components, which I had from a decoder installed in a Hornby Class 56 I got from ebay. Thankfully I had the body off at the time to lubricate it.

Roy

whats not been discussed (probably too soon unless somebody has spoken to a Bachmann rep on the subject?)  is whether you can maybe turn the lights on in a complete rake with the push of a single function button.  not sure if you can program each decoder with the same address to do that or whether its a case of entering each coach address then setting on the lights you want which if you have a couple of lengthy rakes will take a fair bit of time or you leave them on switch off the layout power then.when you run trains at your next session and switch the power back on the decoders all remember what the setting was before power was switched off and return to that setting ie; all lights come back on.

the Bachmann video shows the 3 coaches each controlled separately but not together.  maybe that's how they will operate.

There should be no reason why you could not use the same address for each decoder in a fixed rake, or 'consist' them, which would give greater flexibility if you move coaches around between sets.

• Like 1

whats not been discussed (probably too soon unless somebody has spoken to a Bachmann rep on the subject?)  is whether you can maybe turn the lights on in a complete rake with the push of a single function button.  not sure if you can program each decoder with the same address to do that or whether its a case of entering each coach address then setting on the lights you want which if you have a couple of lengthy rakes will take a fair bit of time or you leave them on switch off the layout power then.when you run trains at your next session and switch the power back on the decoders all remember what the setting was before power was switched off and return to that setting ie; all lights come back on.

the Bachmann video shows the 3 coaches each controlled separately but not together.  maybe that's how they will operate.

Under DCC, you can either give them different addresses and consist them via the controller (normally the more sophisticated ones) or just give them all the same address. When you say number 252 light up, the entire rake should light up.

Of course, we do not know what chips Bachmann will be using. (should be simple function ones rather than a fully blown loco chip).

• 2 months later...

Which Christmas are these due out? This decade or next? Nearly two years since I was told by a Bachmann rep at York Model Show to expect them by Christmas, that was Easter 2016! Are they going ahead with them, if not what about a bit of crowdfunding, I could do with a few.

Which Christmas are these due out? This decade or next? Nearly two years since I was told by a Bachmann rep at York Model Show to expect them by Christmas, that was Easter 2016! Are they going ahead with them, if not what about a bit of crowdfunding, I could do with a few.

Bachmann website says predicted release of July/August 2018.  EP images shown here:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=6

Looking forward to these being released, it has been so long, however the engineering samples do look very nice indeed. Saying that the really old Mk2d former Airfix, Dapol and Hornby tooling is not that bad, the shape seems good although the Bachmann one is for sure going to be much more advanced. 

It would be really helpful to know more about how these DCC on Board coaches/DBSO are worked out of the box.  Weve seen the lights demonstrated in pre-painted sample stage but close ups of the coaches in profile would be good especially on the painted samples now so we can see the detail and/or décor inside (if any).  One of the USPs was that these will have detailed interiors but I cannot recall if they were to be nicely painted too.  Also the type of the lighting in the various areas such the passenger cabin, the vestibules, toilets and guards areas etc. and whether they are dimmable.

Also if say you unbox a rake of 5 and pop them onto your track.........how will they be operated from your dcc controller?  Individually?   As a rake?  Do they need to be consisted and have the same address to switch lights on or off together?  Apologies if I have missed clear instructions elsewhere on these coaches and how they will work but I haven't read anything before and it would be good to know these things if Bachmann have now signed off on the DCC lighting functionality if punters are expected to pay about £75 a coach RRP circa £63 discounted.  Its a lot of cash to splash when you don't have the full techy detail.

I've pre-ordered 8 x Blue/Grey DCC on board Mk2fs and since the reveal of the Inter-City Executive version (not swallow livery afterall) I am seriously considering pre-ordering a further 8 in that super livery but would feel better if I knew how they worked.  Presumably there are no other chips to buy and install purely based on the fact Bachmann refer to them as "DCC on Board" just like a dcc on board loco can run right out of the box - I expect these coaches to be unwrap and play straight from the boxes.

Any more info please Bachmann or is the final tech yet to be approved?

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One rake I am building now has 2x 2F FOs in it

Using Airfix, in fact all 9 vehicles of 2C D E F will be Airfix.

Still a good model and not worth the price of replacing.

And then if you need D or E converting a £10 coach is more logical than £50