Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

I think the tank is black rather than just dirty as the splasher sides are clearly green, but why has the left hand tank got the upturned type of step, I would have thought it unlikely to change a step so I expect the whole of the left hand tank was changed too, its a pity we can't see the other side, so were both tanks changed and if so could it be that when the new top feed boiler was put on it was a simpler job to swap the tanks too from tanks that had been fitted to a top feed boiler.

I have just noticed another detail the handrail on the side tank on photos with no top feed version has a kink where the pipe to the top feed should go by the cab, so this seems to fit that 6403 was fitted with a top feed but when a non top feed boiler was fitted the tanks remained the same as they still had the kinked handrails.

post-186-0-49984000-1390754817.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info. 

Is it just me or has the High Level website been down for quite a long time now?

Edited by Mikkel

When Chris returns from Expo, information on 64xx and 54xx brake hangar brackets is awaiting him in his inbox. The 74xx pattern was slightly different, and will be sent soon.

The chassis project is somewhat speculative at the moment, because no one knows whether it will fit the Bachmann body! (Wheel clearances for the 5'2" 54xx will be 'interesting'.)

Having read through the last few pages of this thread, I'm amazed than any manufacturer even tries to make RTR models, given that it seems hardly any two engines in the same class were identical, and details on the same loco changed from year to year. Luckily, it also appears that I'm ignorant enough to not notice all but the most glaring errors, so I can enjoy my purchases, so long as I don't read RMweb too much!

• Like 2

...The chassis project is somewhat speculative at the moment, because no one knows whether it will fit the Bachmann body! (Wheel clearances for the 5'2" 54xx will be 'interesting'.)

If experience with the 3F and 4F is anything to go by, the 64XX splashers will be about the right size for a 54XX :scratchhead:

Nick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi

i hope they get the cab side numbers right as all of the class had cast iron side number plates not brass ones.

But from a visual perspective, surely that won't be relevant for printed cabside numbers on the model?

• RMweb Premium

Printed or otherwise, the colour of an iron plate is different from the colour of a brass plate.

Sorry, not what I meant. Was thinking in tongues about etched plates - after market suppliers using (or not) iron instead of brass to ensure a colour match - not that the numerals and the outer edge on printed plates should be a different colour.

Edited by brushman47544

At Expo EM yesterday Chris Gibbon at High level kits said he is quite advanced on a etched chassis for the Bachman 64XX although it will capable to be built for a 54XX and 74XX, apparently the brake hanger brackets are different on the 74XX and he is looking for a drawing.

David

He did say at RailEx that it couldn't really progress any further until such time as Bachmann release their model. I do hope the chassis can also be made to fit under the old Westward whitemetal body!

• RMweb Gold

According to todays Kernow newsletter,Bachmann have advised they're doing new running numbers for these.Can anyone hazard a guess on why the change please.

31-365 6406 [GWR green]

31-636 6417 [Early emblem BR black]

31-637 6412 [Lined green late crest.]

Edited by gwrrob

According to todays Kernow newsletter,Bachmann have advised they're doing new running numbers for these.Can anyone hazard a guess on why the change please.

31-365 6406 [GWR green]

The BR (WR)Welsh Mafia at Bachmann ?

The GWR green version looks fit for purpose in the West Country though, as it seems to have been based at Laira from 1932-60.

Of the BR versions 6412 (lined green) appears to be Welsh, as does 6417 (black) from October 1953 but hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

Edited by cary hill

Printed or otherwise, the colour of an iron plate is different from the colour of a brass plate.

IIRC the cast iron ones had the numbers picked out in cream. There was an article about iron vs. cast plates in GWRJ but the issue concerned is in my loft storage at the moment.

Adrian

31-365 6406 [GWR green]

Strange. Bachmann's tank front steps are for 6410 onward, so that legitimises 6412 and 6417, but not 6406. Bachmann's inclusion of the footplate-mounted lubricator legitimises 6406, but not 6412. (6417 unknown in that respect.)

Bachmann's revised running numbers would seem to indicate the production slot is now booked.

The brake hanger differences for the High Level 54/64/74xx chassis have been resolved, and the chassis kit is now ready to appear when the Bachmann model is released. Chris Gibbon is confident about the usability of 5'2" 54xx wheels under Bachmann's overlarge 64xx splashers, but have your scrapers ready just in case. Depending on etch real estate, Chris might include some bespoke 64xx splashers in the kit.

• RMweb Gold

The BR (WR)Welsh Mafia at Bachmann ?

The GWR green version looks fit for purpose in the West Country though, as it seems to have been based at Laira from 1932-60.

Of the BR versions 6412 (lined green) appears to be Welsh, as does 6417 (black) from October 1953 but hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

Merl retired last Christmas.....a nation stands acquitted.Had my hands on a sample last month.Delicious .Were any of this trio either Abercynon or 86J up to 1958 ,I wonder? I would love to recreate the Aberdare-Abercynon auto train of my schooldays.

• RMweb Gold

Merl retired last Christmas.....a nation stands acquitted.Had my hands on a sample last month.Delicious .Were any of this trio either Abercynon or 86J up to 1958 ,I wonder? I would love to recreate the Aberdare-Abercynon auto train of my schooldays.

6417 spent some time at Aberdare Ian.