Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

• RMweb Premium

Really looking forward to getting my hands on these and I hope they sell by the bucket load.

Lets also hope that they remain a stock item, rather than here today and sold out tomorrow, with the next batch a year away....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This release marks yet another return to schooldays for me.I frequently rode the Aberdare ( Low Level ) to Abercynon auto train until the arrival of DMU 's in early 1958.

Just as an additional piece of info...the auto train on the Aberdare branch ran from 1953 to 1958.Prior to that,it was usually a B-set and pannier,with a run-round at each end and at Abercynon a smart get out of the way parking a short way up the branch so that the Merthyr bound train which connected with it could access the island platform.We Aberdarians had only rare direct access to Cardiff.

• RMweb Gold

Lets also hope that they remain a stock item, rather than here today and sold out tomorrow, with the next batch a year away....

A forlorn hope; the only way that would happen is if they proved unpopular, in which case there probably wouldn't be a next batch.

Move quickly or miss out is how it works nowadays. 

John

• RMweb Gold

This release marks yet another return to schooldays for me.I frequently rode the Aberdare ( Low Level ) to Abercynon auto train until the arrival of DMU 's in early 1958.

I rode the same train a few times in the fifties. My grandparents lived in Aberaman.

• RMweb Gold

Move quickly or miss out is how it works nowadays. 

That's the premise I'm working on. I have no need for a post WWII livery and fitted loco but I'd rather get one now than find out they wont bother doing a decent pre-WWII version without all the redundant gubbins on it.

I hadn't pre-ordered one, but this afternoon I walked into MRD* to see what was new on the shelves, and I casually asked what was new in. The pannier was mentioned, among other things, and that they had arrived only yesterday - they were not yet on the shelves and still had to be unpacked . A 6407 (GWR) was brought from out back for me to look at, and was sold to me in less that 30 seconds!

I'll  have to leave the top feed and bunker steps on, and even though it's incorrect, I'll probably put "Great Western" on the tank sides.  

*other models shops are available in North Somerset. 

• Like 3

I've just bought one in BR black from MIB models in Porthcawl - Alan, the proprietor, had ordered 12, which arrived yesterday and he only had 2 left (all in BR black) today. That's not bad going when one considers the earlier debate about top feeds and steps etc. I'm very pleased with mine, if you are thinking of getting one then you might want to move quickly!

Linners

Dunno if I was fortunate in going into MRD today, but as I type this, they show only 1 GWR and 6 BR black in stock (BR green not yet in). I think their website updates numbers even if something is bought online, and even out of hours. I guess that most of the stock must have been for pre-orders.  

• RMweb Gold

I've just bought one in BR black from MIB models in Porthcawl - Alan, the proprietor, had ordered 12, which arrived yesterday and he only had 2 left (all in BR black) today. That's not bad going when one considers the earlier debate about top feeds and steps etc. I'm very pleased with mine, if you are thinking of getting one then you might want to move quickly!

Linners

Well if it won't sell there,then it won't sell anywhere.It's a Valleys boy 'must have'.....even in exile.

Dunno if I was fortunate in going into MRD today, but as I type this, they show only 1 GWR and 6 BR black in stock (BR green not yet in). I think their website updates numbers even if something is bought online, and even out of hours. I guess that most of the stock must have been for pre-orders.  

On reading your previous post I ordered one from them. They're round the corner from me so I'll pick it up in the week.

Hi all got mine a couple of days ago...colletts model shop(exmouth)..has spare BR blacks at a price match with the you know who big boys! and awaiting more for delivery

post-19438-0-40944900-1425165277.jpg...

runs a treat,6 pin decoder fitted...no spring buffers on this model though?

• Like 3

runs a treat,6 pin decoder fitted...no spring buffers on this model though?

But really, unless you use are going to use three-link couplings, are they needed? With tension-locks, the buffers never meet...

For me, sprung buffers, are just a bit "Ooh look, sprung buffers, nice."

Maybe Bachmann now realise this.

But really, unless you use are going to use three-link couplings, are they needed? With tension-locks, the buffers never meet...

For me, sprung buffers, are just a bit "Ooh look, sprung buffers, nice."

Maybe Bachmann now realise this.

why supply linked couplings in the detail pack then?

why supply linked couplings in the detail pack then?

For me, another pointless thing they supply - only any use if the loco is being statically displayed or, in the case of this loco, if it's always being run attached to an autocoach (which mine almost certainly will). Then you can take the tension lock coupling off one end of the loco and put the coupling hook in (which needs doing anyway, even without the attached coupling links). Even then, the loco end without the tension lock fitted isn't really going to be needing those sprung buffers Bachmann haven't fitted. GWR locos always had their couplings hooked up when not in use too, and these couplings haven't the flexibility to do that.

Mine is on it's way, so now kind folks I need your help.

1) will it run on DC without having to remove the decoder?

2) what is the best way of removing the GWR so I can put a shirt button or GREAT WESTERN on it?

3) are there any parts of the bodyshell that would not have been there in the mid to late 1930s?

Thanks

Rich