Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a 64xx to me.

Yes, it does, and I'm so looking forward to the pair I have on order.

By the time they are down on the track being viewed from sensible distances, the oversized parts will be hidden by shadow etc.

I'll eventually get around to sorting these out, but only after I have conducted extensive road testing and generally having too much fun.

Now I want Bachmann to really make my year and announce the 74xx........................then the 94xx and then the 16xx :jester: .

• RMweb Premium

I think Chris said he needed to get his hands on a production model before he could progress the chassis kit...

Dear goodness, what is he - an engineer or something?  Doesn't he know that wild anticipation, disappointment and rage are the bedrock of the hobby? And he wants to make a chassis that fits?

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Should the cab plates be in cast iron on these as the real ones where, Bachamann seem to have done them in Brass?

Well, much of the loco should be in steel sheet, and Bachmann seem to have done it in plastic.

Some sheds and works (especially Caerphilly) painted cast iron worksplates to look like brass using a sort of dull lemon yellow paint, so it is not that bad.

See cabside 3642 in the current GCRA auction catalogue  http://www.gcrauctions.com/sale187/lot206.html

Tony

There was a period when cast iron plates were used for a number of classes. Details were given in an article in GWRJ relatively recently (sorry can't remember which issue). According to that the lettering/raised surround were picked out in a cream colour so Bachmann's seems OK on this.

Looks a really nice model, although I'm not sure I can face carving the topfeed and it's supply pipes off another model. Hope they bring out a topfeed less version later.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having looked at the review photos of the black-liveried 6417 in the latest BRM, the overall effect is very pleasing and I'm looking forward to these becoming available in the shops.

I've checked in 'The Pannier Papers' regarding liveries in the BR period, but the text is somewhat vague, in that the author suggests that 15 locos carried the BR lined green, 'maybe more'. I'd be interested to see if there is any other authoritative source that could list individual locos and state at what stage they acquired the BR lined green livery. I suspect they were all painted plain black initially, although by 1958 some were certainly sporting the lined green.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at the review photos of the black-liveried 6417 in the latest BRM, the overall effect is very pleasing and I'm looking forward to these becoming available in the shops.

I've checked in 'The Pannier Papers' regarding liveries in the BR period, but the text is somewhat vague, in that the author suggests that 15 locos carried the BR lined green, 'maybe more'. I'd be interested to see if there is any other authoritative source that could list individual locos and state at what stage they acquired the BR lined green livery. I suspect they were all painted plain black initially, although by 1958 some were certainly sporting the lined green.

Various information earlier in this thread is possibly as comprehensive a source as any.

The RCTS history - unless updated later -only note 6430 appearing in unlined green in 1957 (therefore must be early emblem) and 6431 in fully lined out green in January 1958 (so late emblem) so it misses almost all the repaints in lined green 

• RMweb Gold

Must admit to having second thoughts about this. I really, really want one. It would fit the layout a treat. Just can't get my head around the topfeed. Like Darwinian, I just can't bear myself to pay £65-70, and then carve off the topfeed & pipework. I'm sure it's going to be a cracking model, but out of my time line. Some of these locos never acquired top feed (6425) AFAIK, and that's where I am. I should remain true to myself. 

However, if the topfeed is removable without too (too?) much fuss, then the game will be on.....

Ian

I have never had much patience with people who bemoan the fact that such and such a manufacturer hasn’t chosen to portray this loco or that one, or that they’ve done a version that isn’t the one that they personally want, but here I am about to go and do precisely that.  Because what I really want is a 74XX.  They ran on the line on which my layout is based, whereas the 54XX and 64XX classes (both auto-fitted) did not.

I had hoped that I might be able to convert the Bachmann 64XX body to a 74XX, but that would involve taking a saw or file to the curved joint between the cab and bunker, as the 74XX (as well as the last 10 of the 64XX class) had a right angled join here – I am just not confident that I could make a neat job of it and make good the beading.

It seems that Bachmann could very easily do a 54XX from the same tooling; they seem to have produced 54XX splashers on their model already (!!) to fit its larger wheels, but will they amend the tooling and do a 74XX in due course?  Should I wait and see, or take my courage in my hands and hack a 64XX to convert it to a 74?  I certainly wouldn’t blame Bachmann if they decide that it would not be commercially viable to produce the revised tooling for a 74XX, but it remains on my wish list.

The top feed issue is one that has been exercising my own mind recently, not only in relation to this class but also in relation to the 14XX (formerly 48XX) 0-4-2Ts.  The RCTS history of GW locos seems to imply that nearly all these engines received top feed post-war, but photographic evidence suggests that quite a few did not get top feed until quite late in the ’fifties, and some never did.  As another commentator said, one might prefer that the top feed should be left off, with the option of fitting one or not as appropriate.

Don’t get me wrong.  The Bachmann 64XX looks splendid.  It’s just that I really can’t justify one on my layout.  I have hacked RTR models about before, quite successfully; for example you can cut/file the top feed off an Airfix/Hornby 48XX (14XX) and make good with fine wet and dry paper without leaving any trace of it, but doing the same to the Mainline (and also Bachmann?) 57XX leaves a hole in the boiler that then has to be filled.  Maybe cutting/filing the curved cab/bunker joint on the 64XX would not be too big a problem after all.  I shall have to give it some further thought.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe cutting/filing the curved cab/bunker joint on the 64XX would not be too big a problem after all.  I shall have to give it some further thought.

I have a lot of sympathy with this predicament, Martin. I've also been thinking about this, but won't be hacking my 64XX about anytime soon. However, I think that the bunker modification should be possible, with a little forethought and clever use of plasticard for the beading. I'd actually be more cautious about carving the lip off the overhanging roof at the front and back of the cab, as it seems quite easy for the scalpel to slip and cause more co-lateral damage...

With regard to the wheel splashers, I can't recall if Chris Gibbon said he was going to include replacement ones in his new chassis kit... either way, unless they somehow unclip or similar, removing them may also be quite a messy job...

Much has been written concerning detail differences between the forthcoming Bachmann models and the actual locomotive. However I have a question which I am struggling to answer and that is related to their role. I appreciate that they were designed, and built, at the outset to operate on passenger autotrain duties, but is there any evidence of them working freight duties? If so could anyone direct me to the relevant book/picture, as my library consists mainly of Ian Allan type portfolios and I have not found an suggestion that they may have been used on anything but autocoach duties.

Regards,

Linners

• RMweb Gold

Much has been written concerning detail differences between the forthcoming Bachmann models and the actual locomotive. However I have a question which I am struggling to answer and that is related to their role. I appreciate that they were designed, and built, at the outset to operate on passenger autotrain duties, but is there any evidence of them working freight duties? If so could anyone direct me to the relevant book/picture, as my library consists mainly of Ian Allan type portfolios and I have not found an suggestion that they may have been used on anything but autocoach duties.

Regards,

Linners

They were undoubtedly suitable for light freight working but their sister class 74XX (no push-pull fit) were the ones intended for other than autotrain work.  As the 64XX lost autotrain work they might well have turned up on something else.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

Linners

Probably not very much if the reputation they acquired among Yeovil enginemen as being useless for anything more than a two coach train was justified. 

John

• RMweb Gold

Probably not very much if the reputation they acquired among Yeovil enginemen as being useless for anything more than a two coach train was justified. 

John

Dunno how they worked that out. There are pictures of them sandwiched in the middle of 4-coach autotrains in South Wales, which is not known for easy gradients.

Edited by Budgie

• RMweb Gold

Dunno how they worked that out. There are pictures of them sandwiched in the middle of 4-coach autotrains in South Wales, which is not known for easy gradients.

Maybe the ones in South Wales were in better condition, though I think that's where the ones transferred to Exmouth Jn. and Yeovil Town sheds came from!

At the ex-SR sheds, they displaced the popular M7s which are 15 tons heavier and have 5'7" wheels so I'd guess expectations weren't high!

I rode behind a couple of 64xx on the Seaton branch that seemed perfectly OK but that was fairly easy duty and only involved two trailers anyway.

Someone showed me a DVD a couple of weeks back of 54xx and 64xx panniers on the Yeovil branches and they certainly seemed to be worked "heavy".

John

• RMweb Gold

John

"Not invented here" I expect. Hardly uncommon amongst steam locomen right across the UK, And lets face it the cabs of pannier tanks are hardly masterpieces of ergonomic design so the crews will have started off disgruntled

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And lets face it the cabs of pannier tanks are hardly masterpieces of ergonomic design so the crews will have started off disgruntled

More comfortable in winter than a Midland Railway 1F half-cab...

They were undoubtedly suitable for light freight working but their sister class 74XX (no push-pull fit) were the ones intended for other than autotrain work.  As the 64XX lost autotrain work they might well have turned up on something else.

Quite right Mike. There is certainly photographic evidence of the 54XXs on freight work, so why not the 64XXs?

Review in todays MREMag says the tooling allows for two versions of the cab and bunker.

That's very good news, and paves the way for the later version of the 64XX and the 74XX.

From what I can tell in the photos in BRM, the cab and bunker look to be one moulding.