Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The expected release date for the 64xx is Mar/April 2015.

Oh Good! I can get my letter of to Santa.....

Dear Santa. Can you fix it so those nice people at Barwell lose the bl**dy topfeed off the 64xx.......?

I've been a really good boy, since these got announced.....

Yours hopefully,

Ian

PS. Milk & cookies by the big tree.....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm liking the pic by Andy Y of the decorated sample at Warely 

post-1-0-41487900-1416610584_thumb.jpg

The detail on it looks superb. Also looks like the top feed might be a separate item, still have the pipework, steps etc to hack off requiring livery touch up, but a step forward.

• Like 14

Did anyone get a decent shot of the GWR liveried version as I struggled.Easter 2015 release according to the rep I spoke to.

Here you go, and the black early crest BR one for good measure.

Bachmann_64xx_BRearlys.jpg

Bachmann_64xx_GWRs.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

After looking at some pictures they do a little but I would guess it's a little bigger due to strength issues removing it from molds. As the door and door ring looks to be one separate cast. But does look a very nice model.

Edited by farren

That protruding smokebox door is rather offputting, quite frankly. I was thinking about buying one to convert to a 74xx as a 64xx is of no use to me, but the work involved may make it uneconomic - i.e. too easy to botch an expensive model!

David C

• RMweb Gold

Does it really matter all that much? Is anyone really going to notice?

I think it is a huge improvement on the moulded doors of the past. Looks easy enough to remove and replace.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Edit - Typo!

Edited by Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I can't wait to get my hands on one and as CK said the High Level Chassis is an added bonus!

6400 trundling up to Horrabridge, autocoach number 51 in crimson in tow....

Regards,

Nick.

Sounds nice Nick.I've pre ordered the maroon version but goodness how that fits in my modelling period.

The 64xx looks good enough for me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm liking the pic by Andy Y of the decorated sample at Warely 

post-1-0-41487900-1416610584_thumb.jpg

The detail on it looks superb. Also looks like the top feed might be a separate item, still have the pipework, steps etc to hack off requiring livery touch up, but a step forward.

Spot on for me - Don't even need to renumber it; just add a 72A Shedplate and some SR discs and I'll be off to Seaton again.

Donning tin hat as I press 'Post' :sungum:

John

• RMweb Gold

That protruding smokebox door is rather offputting, quite frankly. I was thinking about buying one to convert to a 74xx as a 64xx is of no use to me, but the work involved may make it uneconomic - i.e. too easy to botch an expensive model!

David C

The real thing does protrude, just checked out a photo of 6430. The Bachmann version may be a tad (and I really only mean a tad) over-proud, but it's certainly not worth getting a razor saw to. Unless you are exceptionally skilled, I think there is far more risk of causing unwanted colateral damage.

• RMweb Gold

For goodness sake, does nobody have an accurate tadometer, how can I be expected to make an informed decision! :-)

A tad measures about the same as a smidge or gnats wotsits.

I'd like to point out that MY tadometer is a lot more accurate than YOUR tadometer! MINE can measure a sub atomic particle's wotsits, compared to which a gnat's wotsits are positively gargantuan! Seriously, though, I was comparing Andy Y's photos above with the link posted by Mikkel on page 1 of this thread.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60790501@N04/5809232761/

This makes the Bachmann smokebox look as though it is projecting a bit more than a tad - however accurate your tadometer is, at least to my mind! 

However, I take on board all of you who have made the point that it is still a well detailed model, particularly Brinkley's comment about the improvement in the smokebox door. Putting my tadometer aside for a moment, that leaves just the cab projections and the curved bunker sheet to deal with to convert the 64xx to a 74xx! Do I dare risk damaging irrepairably a rather expensive model?

David C

A tad measures about the same as a smidge or gnats wotsits.

Excellent, now we're getting some where. So, can somebody equipped with a set of gnats whotsits get 'em out and do the necessary.

• RMweb Gold

that leaves just the cab projections and the curved bunker sheet to deal with to convert the 64xx to a 74xx! Do I dare risk damaging irrepairably a rather expensive model?

For me, the consideration would be where would you want your starting point to be, in terms of achieving a later numbered 64XX or a 74XX? Unless you use the Bachmann model as a basis, you're reduced to either scratchbuilding or getting hold of a long since out of production whitemetal kit. At least with the Bachmann model, it's pretty much a matter of removing small amounts of plastic to deal with the cab roof lip and the curved verses square bunker corner (albeit the latter may be slightly more involved than the former).

• RMweb Gold

For goodness sake, does nobody have an accurate tadometer, how can I be expected to make an informed decision! :-)

Is a tad metric? I've always been unsure about the graduations. I do know, however, that absolute zero on the Tadometer, is equal to the dog's bo**ocks.

Ian