Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I'm frothing.

Peak -" just another diesel and too similar to a Deltic.Overweight, underpowered,out of date when built - not a 'Great British' at all."

Are you sure you are not describing a class 40 rather than a class 45 ? :yes:

Pete.

If you want one by the way Ivan, I still have one Black Five GBL - loco only, but entirely complete. Free to a good home if you pay for postage.

With three and a half Black Fives currently on the go, I'll have to pass this one up, but thanks for the offer.

Page 100 already!!

Came home from work to my delivery. I will leave the review to our dear Weatheringman but quick comments, it's a great model.

The silver bits will be improved by repainting but at least the wheels are black.

The vacuum pipe on the front goes up instead of down. It's easy enough to replace however I gently twisted it down and it worked.

One of the pipe things that go into the top of the boiler (feed pipes?) Fell off as I handled the model it glues on again easily enough but you may wish to check yours are secure.

I'm off to repaint silver bits now

Anyone in South Yorkshire area still wanting the Midland Compound, WH Smiths in Barnsley had at least two this afternoon -right next to the entrance door - behind where the two canvassers stand. did n't go to inspect 'em (the locos) because of the aforesaid people. Can't stand canvassers btw!!

Hi,

I have the review of the 4MT all written and a set of photos taken.

However I must appologise to you all in that I cant publish same until the day the models go on general sale so next Wednesday i'm afraid.

The early arrival of this model might be an indicator of 'clearing the decks' ready for changes dont you think -I do.

Regards

Will you be publishing your review of the MR Compound? I know there has been a lot of discussion already, but I do enjoy your reviews.

While it seems that some people have got a 4MT, not sure how, I am still waiting for my subs Jinty and Castle. Overall Amercom sucks.

Its only a toy train of mediocre quality, but I like them, reminds of Kitmaster in a way.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 1

Hi,

The description fits the class 40 as well of course.

The 44 / 45 / 46 family were overweight and underpowered in terms of technology available at the time of their building. 

They were saddled with an out of date, monstrous design of bogie that continued to give trouble throughout the lives of these monsters.

They were not a locomotive British Railways were proud of and cannot in any way be called a 'great' except in terms of weight.

To the average man and woman in the street - who are the intended target market - one diesel looks much like another, particularly when two classes have similar features as do a Deltic and a Class 44/45/46.

Regards

I will agree on both counts of weight and bogies, but can't see where they were underpowered, the 47 had initially only 250hp more.

What technology was available at the time that could have increased their power ?

Curious as to "BR were not proud of the 44/45/46".

I'm sure the traincrews of Holbeck,Sheffield,Derby and Nottingham may have a different viewpoint. 

Regards Pete

An old college friend had a pet scorpion.  Although living in a rough area, no-one ever broke in to his house.  Might get one and let slip that I have a pet scorpion instead of a guard dog!

Now that's what I need to guard my German U-Boat model! Going back to the canvassers in WHS, it seems to be a national thing then. In the street I like to tell 'em "to go and play on the National Grid!" - very effective and no obscenties - well I do have some standards fgs!

There's a French partwork now which is reissuing updated Dinky cars, in facsimiles of the original boxes, something I've seen in the past.

http://www.editionsatlas.fr/collection/dinky-toys-saga-des-ouvrants/la-citroen-ds-19-ref-530.html

Looks rather nice, and will probably sell well (for about the same price as GBL) which makes me wonder, in light of earlier comments about Kitmaster, why this hasn't been spun as a toy nostalgia series.

• Like 1

Just weathered mine. First photo shows a close up of the vacuum bag after I twisted it into the correct direction, it also shows the lack of buffer shanks on the front. Strangely the rear ones are there. Think I will be looking for white metal ones.

post-5114-0-35296000-1409333599_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-11493300-1409333817_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-42305500-1409333904_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Blimey! Someone's got some front claiming that the model is worth £14.99!! I did make the mistake of buying a London Transport RT model bus from them a few years ago (but I did get a travel alarm clock and huge LT poster which I sold framed from just under £10!), so doubtless I will receive a flyer in the post about this. Think that model is hideous!

Blimey! Someone's got some front claiming that the model is worth £14.99!! I did make the mistake of buying a London Transport RT model bus from them a few years ago (but I did get a travel alarm clock and huge LT poster which I sold framed from just under £10!), so doubtless I will receive a flyer in the post about this. Think that model is hideous!

Wait till it gets on ebay and the starting price is double that, and yes there be people bidding on it

Cor, look at that "Unmistakeable 1930s pea-green livery"... Can't be that unmistakeable; I always thought it was apple green!

Cor, look at that "Unmistakeable 1930s pea-green livery"... Can't be that unmistakeable; I always thought it was apple green!

But if you scale an apple down to 1/220 it becomes a pea, doesn't it?