Great British Locomotives

EddieB

If any body is having difficultly obtaining a individual locomotive then contact Great British Locomotives Collection direct by phone call.

A friend of mine contacted them last week and asked for a City of Truro and they are sending him one for £8.99 with FREE postage.

....If you want to turn 'Butler Henderson' into something decent be prepared to spend a fair amount on detailing parts before you consider the chassis....

You could do worse than ask Mike Edge (of Judith Edge Kits) whether he might consider selling the D10 chassis (from the full kit) separately. Now there's an idea. The JE GC tender is available on its own, I think.

I took receipt of my subs Jinty and Castle today and I must say had good they both are. The Jinty is now accepted as the best release so far so no further comment is nessacary. The Castle on the other hand was a surprise, despite it's flawed origins, it's not bad at all. The wheels despite being integral castings have a decent depth between the spokes and once the 'chassis' has been de-silvered, it should look ok. May fit mine with a double chimney as I have a spare one.

I must say I do like this series and the ingenious way they are created. As I have said before, for what they are, they are quite good and I hope they continue till the planned end.

Cheers

Shane

.... have a scrap yard and line. Home Bargains have these strobe lights for about two quid, basically a single LED in a larger box.  Take the LED and other gubbins out and hey presto, instant breakers torch.  Bought one and the effect is rather good.  Maybe for some of my modelling disasters of which there are many...

You could flog the results on eBay.

Oh wait...hang on....

I must try to get another LP - John, do you know what the number your friend used was, please?

On another note, the TV advert (top of the landing page on the GBL site) shows Mallard and some lumpy great streamlined pudden and also a little tanky thing. Is that an LNER Y8? Can anyone identify it?

It's not a ROD tender - it's a larger GCR type tender. ROD tender is only found behind the Bachmann O4 and Collett 2251 in RTR I think.

Thank you for your comment. I apparently need educating. Can you tell us what the differences are (I know the ROD tenders had no scoops or domes). I assume the tenders attached to Claughtons etc for use on the Midland lines were ex ROD but I also assume they had some sort of mods. Does anybody know what? Were they the same size as the GC tenders and were they retro-fitted with water scoops for example?

• Like 1

Isn't the footage of the NER 0-4-0T just a clip of the free DVD that you get when you subscribe? 

I certainly wouldn't be holding my breath for GBL to produce one. If they were to produce any small LNER locos then I would expect it to be a J72.

Regards Jason.

That footage on the GBL advert intrigued me as well - am I correct in thinking there's no RTR verison of the Y7, so another GBL mystery for the American (or should that be Amercom) teenagers in the the van to solve!! Agree that the J72 is the obvious choice.

....I wasn't going to do any alterations to the 4MT tank BUT we all know how bad a job has been done with the bufferbeam.  How could they have got it so wrong defies belief!

Any simple solutions?  I've never gone down the route of these fine detailing parts so don't know where to begin to be honest.

What did you expect for nine quid? The Earth?

Pick up a pack of Bachmann sprung oval buffers, lop off the GBL ones, glue a pair of the Bachmann ones in, and Bob is your mother's brother.

• Like 2

It should be fairly simple using a razor saw (or Exacto) to cut off the buffers, and then clean up the beam. You may have to drill holes for the new shanks - that's usual in my experience.

Not a bad job, in fact a good start.

If it's hard for you with your limitations I'd be happy to oblige if you send me the loco - or I could do mine and send it to you as a swapsie.

Thanks for that.  What I had were just heads of the same type.  A pity Tri-ang didn't do the brass ones in ovals as well as rounds like they stuck into many things, like the dock shunters and so on.

I had to replace a couple of buffers on a second hand Bachmann 4MT Tank, and used Bachmann replacements.

The problem is that they are plastic, and when glueing them in place, the glue glued the "spring" function as well. As sprung buffers never get squashed using RTR couplers, it don't matter to me! ;)

Tri-ang only made the oval buffers as heads (Brass at first, and later plastic), I think they came in with the Brush Type 2 (Class 31). So, yes, only small round type bufffers in brass complete with shanks.

Tri-ang (Hornby) also made 3 sizes of round buffer heads in Brass, and later Plastic. (Possibly only Small and Medium in Plastic.)

To save on costs, only the small and medium sizes were used in later years, possibly from the change to plastic, as one less set of tooling, and only 1 loco using large ones by this time?

Small size (similar to the size of the complete brass buffers)

Medium size. Used on the 9f I think...and later on the EE Type 3 (Class 37)(Possibly only in plastic on the 37?)

Large size. Used on the E3001 (AL Overhead Electric) and the earlier EE Type 3 (Class 37)

There are a few sources of replacement buffers, from brass "kits" for proper sprung buffers, to cast white metal ones....

Edited by Sarahagain