A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Rob, Stafford show - looks like I'll be going on the Sunday.

Stafford, by the way, marks the 1 year anniversary of ordering the 1366 from Agenoria, with the kit arriving at Kettering.

...and it's still not finished...

I'd really like to get to Stafford show this year - the line up looks fantastic, but at 4+ hours each way makes it a very long day.

• RMweb Premium

A question then , Oh Duck of All Telegraph Pole Knowledge, why do the insulators on the nearest post appear to be hanging from the cross arms, whereas the ones on the further poles appear to be above the cross arms ?

May I refer the honourable gentleman to the lllllloooooonnnnnggggggggg discussion somewhere in Wright Writes, as all the world's information on bits of pole hanging in odd positions is available there.

Sincerely, A.G. Bell

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back in 65 I was working on open wire routes for the GPO, so far as I can remember there was no particular reason for fitting either type. We were often replacing the open wire routes and came across both types. One type had a straight shaft and bolted to the arm with the insulator on the top. the wire from either side terminated in a loop round the insulator. The other type had a U shaped shaft bolted through the arm with the shaft curving up with the insulator on the top. Wires were terminated as above. I expect the railway ones were much the same. GPO ones were always in pairs earth only being used to the bell circuit on party lines. Railways may have been different.

I used to ride a motobike and sidecar to work and one day in a blizzard we needed to run some hefty blue insulated HV wires on Electric poles. So I put my barber jackets troures big boots etc on. The two technicians in the gange found they both need to fit the phone inside the farmhouse and left me the apprentice to run the outside wires.

Don

Hi Don. At last, a professional. Just for fun, this is one I'm doing for Peterborough North..........post-2326-0-08252400-1421662344_thumb.jpg

have a laugh!!!!!!!!

You could have had fun (could still have) telling the mob on Peterborough North what was what.......

Duckers.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now I know I can rely on several followers of this thread to enhance my photos taken from that view,the least I can do is offer to do requests for anything you'd like to see there next weekend.

Incidently,is that lamp post inside the fencing on that Ben Brooksbank Castle photo or is it a trick of the light.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Now I know I can rely on several followers of this thread to enhance my photos taken from that view,the least I can do is offer to do requests for anything you'd like to see there next weekend.

How about the local pick-up goods, maybe Pannier hauled... or Pannier shunting the Brent yard?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A black 2251 with a ROD tender..........

(waits for hate mail....)

• RMweb Premium

Brocolli.

A brocolli special up from Cornwall, I mean!

With something nice and powerful on the front, pounding through Brent on it's way up to Marley Tunnels...

That will be a Laira Hall then!! Otherwise it could be a Cornish Grange or, if we are really lucky, a loco from the dark side.

P

• Like 2

Isn't that a Cauliflower? Just saying :-)

Kerrekt - but you'm don' come fram down there, me 'ansome - down there we call 'em brokkli

And in case you think I'm taking the **** I am from down there.

http://www.goodcornwallguide.co.uk/cauliflower-conundrum-the-cornish-food-box-company/

“Cauliflower is the broccoli that can’t be bothered. Where its dark-green cruciferous cousin is frisky, iron –deep and complex, cauliflower is keener on the quiet life, snug under its blanket of cheese.” (The Flavour Thesaurus, Neki Segnit)

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

Kerrekt - but you'm don' come fram down there, me 'ansome - down there we call 'em brokkli...

Quite so, and not just Cornwall. I can remember some older folk calling them broccoli in the fifties in the Bristol area. It was, after all, years before most people had seen calabrese or other funny coloured brassica.

Nick

I better get some empties sent down to Ponsandane Sidings quickly then.

post-9751-0-15171900-1421764491_thumb.png

Plymouth Control:

"That's Broccoli again. They say they'll be in a mess unless another couple of specials can be run this afternoon.We're alright for paths and empties"

"Reg - what about locos?"

"What for Cornwall? - I haven't got the power available there at the moment."

"Haven't you? I'll give Paddington a ring."

"No, wait a minute, what about Tigley Junction, I drove past there on the way in this morning and, as usual in midweek, there were loads of locos standing about doing absolutely nothing."

"Yes it's an odd situation there - Shed Master Sweet really doesn't like his locomotives to run when it's too cold in the garage."

"Poppycock - I'll give him a ring, he must be able to spare a Grange or a Hall, as he's just had a brand new Castle allocated........"

(with thanks to BTF)

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann do a 2-8-0 austerity.

And here is my WD 2-8-0 a modified and repainted Bachmann model to backdated into 1946/7 condition, based on one that was allocated to the Southern railway at that time, that makes an occasional appearance on the West of England line at Fisherton Sarum, so could potentially have got down as far as Brent / Plymouth...

post-243-0-91708600-1421766481_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 10