A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Well you wouldn't be able to take them off and on and there is a further issue.

The resin is not opaque enough to prevent light coming out by itself so you would need to provide a reflective coating, preferably on the inside (so you don't hide the detail), silver metallic paint, as long as it's not conductive will work.

Some clever #### will devise some sort of little connection so that the lamp iron is some sort of fibre-optic thingy that carries the light into the lamp. The lamp(s) will have been fettled so as to allow the light to shine out the front. Too complicated for me though.

O.S. Ramlamp

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's uncanny, you can always tell if a train I coming by looking ar those signals!

They do complete the scene which is a bit of a worry- is there anything left to do?

• Like 1

They do complete the scene which is a bit of a worry- is there anything left to do?

...........There's still the self-flagellation involved with the installation of point rodding and signal pulleys to come.........

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

...........There's still the self-flagellation involved with the installation of point rodding and signal pulleys to come.........

Yes and I need an idiots guide to fitting it.

• RMweb Gold

Easy enough - I can be plenty enough idiotic to offer such advice as to what to put where.  All you have to do is the hard bit - make it and put it in position ... tehehe

On signal matters Mike has been a great help and along with the craftsmanship of Stephen Freeman this beauty, based on one at Shrewsbury, will be fitted later this week.The approach to the fiddle yard will be greatly enhanced.

post-126-0-00141000-1477930951.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

On signal matters Mike has been a great help and along with the craftsmanship of Stephen Freeman this beauty, based on one at Shrewsbury, will be fitted later this week.The approach to the fiddle yard will be greatly enhanced.

attachicon.gifpost-6948-0-25547600-1477912439.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this masterpiece in situ....

Didn't Neptune have a hand in it?

attachicon.gifpost-6948-0-25547600-1477912439.jpg

I think it must be this instantly recognisable signal at Shrewsbury:

post-9751-0-51612100-1477936785.jpg

It speaks volumes for the excellence of the model.

• Like 4

How far can one sensibly carry the detail thing; sometime too far when it becomes an obsession.  Been there, done that!  This is what drove me from OO;  the constant hunt for detail which in smaller scales can hardly be seen anyway.  Not only that but the fiddling necessary to build, paint and install it plus constantly avoiding damaging it.  But when looking at the great layouts herein, sometime the need to return to such times keeps recurring but reality always wins out.  Over the years, OO gets keeping smaller and fingers get bigger plus the need to get under the layout which gets lower all the time reminds me that for me, O and tinplate is the way to go and as there are fewer rail related 'incidents', the need to crawl under the layout is much reduced and  if a signal gets knocked over, just stick it back up again.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

How far can one sensibly carry the detail thing; sometime too far when it becomes an obsession.  Been there, done that!  This is what drove me from OO;  the constant hunt for detail which in smaller scales can hardly be seen anyway.  Not only that but the fiddling necessary to build, paint and install it plus constantly avoiding damaging it.  But when looking at the great layouts herein, sometime the need to return to such times keeps recurring but reality always wins out.  Over the years, OO gets keeping smaller and fingers get bigger plus the need to get under the layout which gets lower all the time reminds me that for me, O and tinplate is the way to go and as there are fewer rail related 'incidents', the need to crawl under the layout is much reduced and  if a signal gets knocked over, just stick it back up again.

Brian.

Understood. I know exactly what you mean. When mining in the loft some time ago I found my collection of Wrenn stuff and for a moment I thought, wouldn't it be nice just to have a simple train set with my Wrenn stuff running. Sadly I sold my Bulleid Pacific and 08 years ago but I do still have a few loco's lurking, including three that have been stripped back to the bare metal ready for a repaint to my requirements. I hasten to say they were not examples of the 'collectable items'. I may be daft, but not that daft.

I have a few wagons and vans that are 'collectable' though so I might move them on, but reluctantly as they are part of my life from many years ago. 

Hey ho.

Philth.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/150/GWR-1361-Class-Saddle-Tank

Seen elsewhere but posted here too, hopefully by the end of the month one will be seen running on here courtesy of Kernow/Mike.Keep it to yourselves please.

attachicon.gifK2204lr1477996578.jpg.jpeg

Interesting that since the first samples off the tooling that bl**dy numberplate 'hole' has acquired a second hole inside it.  I don't know where the holes came from as they weren't on the final agreed CADs and as far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be on the model but if it is cheaper doing it that way than printing the numbers  i suspect Chris will have to tolerate it - but it's still bl**dy maddening that it has appeared without so  much as a 'by your leave' (unless DJ stuck his oar in).

Overall it looks to have come out pretty well although I obviously haven't seen the other side or the bunker and I wonder if the rivets have still not been added but at least 1362 and 1363 are already displaying their most obvious differences from the others which is good so we managed to get that done properly although I'm not sure about the different upper lamp bracket without a proper look at the samples.  Lines to Cornwall seem to be busy so I'm not sure when I shall be getting my hands on any of the samples.

• Like 1