A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

The Heljan version is cheaper and is 1365. Mike would confirm if the details are correct on this version.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/171919/Heljan_1303_Class_1361_0_6_0ST_1365_in_BR_black_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

The Kernow model is 1362 and detail is correct apart from the splashers of course.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/43615/K2202-DJ-Models-0-6-0-1361-Steam-Locomotive-number-1362

Apart from the errors I've mentioned as applicable to all the Heljan ones (e.g. the overgrown safety valve cover) at least the tank top fittings are in the correct order but the top lamp bracket is wrong as on 1365 it was always on top of the smokebox as far as I can trace. I don't know about the bunker back detail without doing a lot of delving as I'm not sure which version 1365 had.  BTW I've not mentioned it before but the Heljan lubricator on top of the dome is a bit on the 'I think it might look like this' side - for the Kernow one we took separate photos of the lubricator as the GWS allowed us access to it in the place where lots of 1363's parts were stored. 

Magazine reviews seemed to come out with the Kernow one a bit ahead of the Heljan version

• RMweb Gold

Heljan it is then (unless you want to build a kit). Kernow are only doing the saddle tanks.

Yes, and thereby hangs another tale (and the porkies which come out of Denmark aren't just connected with bacon).  There were very few differences between the pannier tank engines but the really noticeable one was the route followed by the injector overflow which not only varied from engine to engine but also sometimes seems to have varied on the same engine depending on date and, no doubt, the last coppersmith who had a go at the pipework.  Rather odd really as one thing which was always absolutely consistent on the saddle tanks (in every photo I have ever been able to find) was the route taken by the injector overflow.

• RMweb Gold

Rob can you let me know if you find a photo  of a 1361 with shirtbutton livery besides 1363 spent all day yesterday going through the library with no success.

What I did find was a set of 1361 plates which just might fall on my loco with some Masterpiece figures.

Bob as far as I know the only pictures of 1363 in shirtbutton livery have been taken with the engine in preserved condition.

• RMweb Gold

Bob as far as I know the only pictures of 1363 in shirtbutton livery have been taken with the engine in preserved condition.

So that's the monogram out the window, I'll run it plain green with no marking and attack it with a couple of cans of carp coloured airarsoles. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Robin - have you been throwing some flour or icing sugar into a fan on a high speed setting, all over your model of Brent?  ;)

Or he could just throw open the garage door for the real thing. :tongue2:

• RMweb Gold

Robin - have you been throwing some flour or icing sugar into a fan on a high speed setting, all over your model of Brent?  ;)

What we need to see is the Oxford Rail Dean Goods with its snowplough in action!

In 1947 we had no idea how bad the weather would be.

• RMweb Gold

Armitage......famous for its sanitary ware.How about a "meet" of saddle tanks ? My 1364 GWR lives just up,the road in Froth City and is pining for some company. Mind if I bring her along to play with her sister ?

That sounds like a date to me.

I'd like him to get ultra-efficient heating installed in his garage, that way we could have a sudden heatwave down here!

Unfortunately I'm not entitled to the government heating allowance yet.

• RMweb Gold

Armitage......famous for its sanitary ware.How about a "meet" of saddle tanks ? My 1364 GWR lives just up,the road in Froth City and is pining for some company. Mind if I bring her along to play with her sister ?

Please do. Would be good to put faces to names at long last. I was already looking forward to this show....even more so now.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Talk of garages and heating currently touch a raw nerve.My electrically powered roller garage door is currently frozen solid despite efforts to melt the ice with WD 40 ( Stupidly I didn't stock up on de icer) ,rock salt and air from high powered Stihl leaf blower.

Marooned !

• RMweb Gold

Talk of garages and heating currently touch a raw nerve.My electrically powered roller garage door is currently frozen solid despite efforts to melt the ice with WD 40 ( Stupidly I didn't stock up on de icer) ,rock salt and air from high powered Stihl leaf blower.

Marooned !

You could expose it to certain threads on RMweb, plenty of hot air about...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Please do. Would be good to put faces to names at long last. I was already looking forward to this show....even more so now.

Rob.

Actually,I think we did meet at the one off RMWeb show at the O2 Arena some years back....I think you were with Mike Stationmaster.

I believe we were discussing the ill-fated Hattons/DJM King.

I really look forward to meeting again ...at a saddletankathon?

• RMweb Gold

Actually,I think we did meet at the one off RMWeb show at the O2 Arena some years back....I think you were with Mike Stationmaster.

I believe we were discussing the ill-fated Hattons/DJM King.

I really look forward to meeting again ...at a saddletankathon?

Sorry Rob...I got that hopelessly wrong.....it was the other Rob(in) who was with Mike...apologies. Yes it will be good to meet you too.

Must be this blizzard that's blown its way into my brain....

• RMweb Gold

That's nothing - I've got mini snowdrifts on my front path thanks to that bloomin' powder snow, and I'd cleared it off and salted it 4 hours back :triniti:  

I've also got some, but you can't see them in the photo and I haven't bothered salting them, based on the accounts of others on here!

• RMweb Gold

What we need to see is the Oxford Rail Dean Goods with its snowplough in action!

In 1947 we had no idea how bad the weather would be.

1947 was actually one of the coldest winters ever. The Mersey froze.

Regards from Vancouver where the snow has mostly melted

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Rob...I got that hopelessly wrong.....it was the other Rob(in) who was with Mike...apologies. Yes it will be good to meet you too.

Must be this blizzard that's blown its way into my brain....

I will be the one with the Sheep.....