A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I wonder, though, could someone, some hypothetical person, remove said splashers and replace with flat footplating?

A skilled modeller such as yourself would probably be able to do it but I won't. :O The man who resides the Naughty Step could also do it I'm sure.

• RMweb Gold

A skilled modeller such as yourself would probably be able to do it but I won't. :O The man who resides the Naughty Step could also do it I'm sure.

If Kernow Models are selling of preproduction or seconds at a bargain price at this years SWAG members day I will certainly be trying to get one to experiment on....
  • Like 1

If Kernow Models are selling of preproduction or seconds at a bargain price at this years SWAG members day I will certainly be trying to get one to experiment on....

Maybe tempt 'em with a few pasties I believe its the currency of Kernow this year !

Celebrate good food c'mon 

Kool & The Gang

• RMweb Premium

Splashers, three solutions:

1. Don't look. Close eyes, hide behind your hand or put a paper bag over the loco.

2. Modify. I'm sure I could locate some very heavy duty tools that would do a suitable job.

3. Alternative. I'm sure that those wonderful people at Kernow would happily sell you a different nice little loco that comes in a very similar box. Choose from three, all unlined black, loved working up to Wenford and back up to 1961.

Hope this helps.

Splashers, three solutions:

1. Don't look. Close eyes, hide behind your hand or put a paper bag over the loco.

2. Modify. I'm sure I could locate some very heavy duty tools that would do a suitable job.

3. Alternative. I'm sure that those wonderful people at Kernow would happily sell you a different nice little loco that comes in a very similar box. Choose from three, all unlined black, loved working up to Wenford and back up to 1961.

Hope this helps.

or 4. Go O Gauge 

• RMweb Gold

I do feel sorry for Kernow. They have entrusted development/production of their models to a third party and they are flawed. This could have been a cracker but for this seemingly pointless error. Similar to issues with the other models from the same source....

14xx.....overly complicated drive train.

Gate stock....dimples instead of flush rivets.

1361.....splashers

O2....sloppy con rods( overly complicated drive train)

Very unfortunate.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

How about 7930 "Kneausefolk Hall"? A long term Southall loco I believe.

How about Southall Hall Hall Hall Hall ?

Is the real B*gg*r Hall just outside the Welsh village of Llareggub?

Only when its running tender first.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's a lovely looking loco, Robin, to be sure. Are you going to brave the elements now that it's arrived?

Out of interest and despite having trawled part-way through the main KMRC 1361 thread, I can't establish exactly when the splasher issue was first raised. Was it sometime in 2016?

And now that they are there, what was the reason given for their inclusion on the model?

Anyone know/remember please?

Chris did give a full explanation which Andy Y posted in the relevant thread.  Basically the factory's story is that they added them to get clearance for the wheel flanges and they are in reality more like small humps than splashers as they scale at less than 3 inches high.

But we (Chris and I) did miss them when they crept into the CADs - we were being as careful as we could to make sure details for each individual engine were picked up as well as correcting details so we overlooked them, or rather didn't query them when they appeared.  The factory also seemed to have a lot of trouble with version control of the CADs (which also happened with the gate stock I'm led to believe).  CADs weren't numbered in a logical sequence so on one version you'd correct an error only to find it reappeared after the next lot of corrections had been made on the next version- rather frustrating and even more so for me as the Dassault (yes, them there French aeroplane folk) software for viewing the CADs didn't run at all well on a Mac.  And while it's no excuse an interesting thing is that not even some of the regular hawkeyes on RMweb failed to notice the humps or mention them if they had noticed them.

It's also a lot more difficult to comprehensively review CADs than you might think from looking at them when you see them posted on, say, RMweb as you are looking for a lot more.  On the 1361s we were almost at the stage of tooling when I suddenly noticed the draincocks had been missed off (although I can just as easily blame Harold Holcroft as he'd left them off the original Swindon drawing, that he had signed off, which the factory were using for design.  Similarly once you get caught up in production schedules things can go amiss - Chris gave the factory a list of codes for the shedplates before he asked me if they were the correct codes and when I checked them most had to be altered, just in time.  I won't say any more about the relationship with 'the intermediary' except to say that for whatever reason Kernow now deal direct with the factory instead of via a certain 'post office' and I doubt that will change for any future commissions from that particular factory- but that is simply my take on things and not an official comment from Kernow.  And of course various things are coming from elsewhere anyway.

As far as removing the humps is concerned it might be worth a try but it will need some careful scalpel work as I suspect complete dismantling might be a bit of a task depending on how well the various parts are glued together.  Chris has a selection of some early mouldings (which lack rivet detail) which he may well flog off at Taunton as he has done with some past bits and pieces or EPs etc

He is indeed a man of many parts.

However some spares would be useful ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Why has that loco been fitted with sausages on the foot plate?

Rob.

So you're blaming CK then? Part of his cunning plan to infiltrate the great model locomotive design houses and insert sausages into the 3d modelling. He'd have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for...

• RMweb Gold

If the footplate plastic then I'm surprised most small tank loco's have cast one's these days I'd be intrested to see what they could pull before

slipping with that gear train they have, still with a plastic footplate it at least gives anyone half a chance to carve those humps off, what a shame

it was a well thought out model until the "Carbuncle Jinx" desended I do hope Chris can at least get a return on them.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe, but such a pity that this is even having to be considered. From the position of the splashers, it could end up being quite a big job with no guarantee of retaining the factory finish once the hole had been filled and paint-matched.