A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

That all makes good sense CK but it wasn't quite what I was getting at. I was thinking of a situation where the driver couldn't see the signal because the arm was hidden by a train passing in the opposite direction on the other track. My understanding is that if a driver can't see a signal (for whatever reason - fog, falling snow, arm fallen off, hidden by another train, etc.) he has to assume that it is On.

Just as the signalman has certain responsibilities if he becomes aware that a signal is missing. Missing? Gone to the loo? 10 days in the Balearics? My colleague Colin, Signalling Inspector, used to run sessions at the Beckenham Signalling School. He would invariably be asked by a student how and why a signal could ever be missing? For some years he struggled to provide an example, but fate stepped in to give him a hand. In the small hours on morning he was supervising changing signal heads (colour light, obviously) between South Bermondsey and Queen’s Road Peckham. All was going well, but then as one head was in mid-air between the wagon and the naked post, it suddenly became detached from the crane hook and fell into an adjoining scrapyard, coming to rest in really quite a lot of pieces. So the next few days required every train to be stopped and cautioned at the signal in rear.

Implausibly, for such a rare situation, I was also witness to a missing signal. In late 1976, an unmanned light engine ran away towards London from Hither Green Down Sidings. As it approached Lee Spur Junction, running wrong-road, the catch-points did their job, and the loco dropped harmlessly into the cess, from where re-railing was relatively straightforward, the crane being stabled only a couple of hundred yards away! Sadly, however, in dropping off at the catch points, the loco ran into the back of a signal protecting the junction, which thus instead of being angled to meet the driver’s eye, was now resolutely facing Mother Earth. I think it was a couple of days before it was replaced in the necessary orientation.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic:

Slightly...

For our holiday in last two weeks of August I've booked this cottage:

attachicon.gifCottage 2018.jpg

Which is near here:

attachicon.gifNear here.jpg

Anybody fancy an ANTB day out in the country.... :)

Careful, last bloke that stayed there discovered Australia.

• RMweb Gold

Weren't such frivolities like bunting still on the ration in 1947?

There's interesting.  When King George VI died there was, as was normal back then, a funeral train from Paddington to Windsor and there was something of a problem as the purple satin damask drapes placed over various parts of Paddington station on such occasion were taken out of store and found to have deteriorated considerably since the previous funeral train event.  Accordingly there was considerable correspondence on the train arrangements file about purchasing replacement material and how much would be authorised to pay for it - a suitable sum was eventually authorised after cheaper alternatives had been considered.

That all makes good sense CK but it wasn't quite what I was getting at. I was thinking of a situation where the driver couldn't see the signal because the arm was hidden by a train passing in the opposite direction on the other track. My understanding is that if a driver can't see a signal (for whatever reason - fog, falling snow, arm fallen off, hidden by another train, etc.) he has to assume that it is On.

There's a Rule and then theres an interpretation, and then there's what the Driver happens to think or thinks what the Rule actually means.  Plus several Rules applying to such a situation meant slightly different things. (e.g.  Rule 82 required Drivers to report most such situations to the Signalman at the controlling signalbox while Rule 127 required the Driver to be ready to stop his train if the signal was at danger when he did see it).  If the signal was obscured by smoke or steam from another train and the Distant had been off I bet most Drivers would have just kept going.

Nowadays of course with those fold down signals it is all too easy fr a signal to be, literally 'missing' as far as Driver is concerned.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Slightly...

Which is near here:

Wot, the only Yorkshire captain to come here and never play in a Test?

I'm totally lost chaps.

• RMweb Gold

I'm totally lost chaps.

Halfords flog cheap Sat-Navs or you can get an atlas from Smiffs.

Bear Grills 

Technically I thought Trains&Armour's ancestors had already "discovered' large parts of the Western and Southern coastline of New Holland more than a hundred years before Captain James Cook sailed to that part of the world.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Technically I thought Trains&Armour's ancestors had already "discovered' large parts of the Western and Southern coastline of New Holland more than a hundred years before Captain James Cook sailed to that part of the world.

Yes, but Jim put our flag on it.

• RMweb Premium

Bear Grills 

You're in Stafford then?

WTVVFNUJOFFDVDMH2CYRGJGUSM.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A lovely sunny evening and we catch 7200 class 7220 on a down mixed freight bound for Tavistock Junction.

post-126-0-99878900-1526922149_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-96362200-1526922183_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-15732800-1526922210_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-22989400-1526922234_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-56991800-1526922264_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-30500400-1526922293_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

You're in Stafford then?

WTVVFNUJOFFDVDMH2CYRGJGUSM.jpg

Sherry, who taught in and around Stafford for more than 30 years, and would periodically run a Town Trail for Year 6 as part of their Local Studies, assures me the place is rather dark inside. She is adamant none of her charges went in there though!
  • Like 2

I'm totally lost chaps.

Bear Grills 

An OS map might come in handy. Here you go:

post-13158-0-71241100-1526924741_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm totally lost chaps.

You’re not alone. Took me quite a while to realise I was looking near the wrong moor!

Got it eventually when I realised who lived where.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

You’re not alone. Took me quite a while to realise I was looking near the wrong moor!

Got it eventually when I realised who lived where.

Paul.

I thought it was in Wales as Sierd has some affection for the country.

• Like 1

He is going where I happened to be yesterday...

post-18813-0-64398600-1526925651_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-81667300-1526925722_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-86046600-1526925769_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-27260800-1526925850_thumb.jpg

If someone released an RTR J27 I'd definitely buy one... to accompany my Q6!!! An 0-6-0 never offends? 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I didn't know he was into sheep. BARRRRRRRRRRRRRR BAARRRRRRRRRRRR :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of preserved railways and I see they discovered the old sand drag at Churston whilst working on the p- way.

post-126-0-31725100-1526932000_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-08710700-1526932048_thumb.jpg

A Manor was also in steam.

post-126-0-19616000-1526932158.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Slightly...

Which is near here:

And half way between the two is The Black Bull at Ugthorpe, if you're really hungry.

• RMweb Premium

Slightly...

Which is near here:

Found you...

post-6675-0-75305500-1526967318_thumb.png

post-6675-0-32644500-1526967340_thumb.png

So a day out on the NYMR then. Or were you thinking more of a fishing trip on a Norwegian trawler?

• Like 1