A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

You have made my mind up for me, when I get home from France Eynsham Hall is getting a respray into black...

Really like the look of a black hall!

It does mean I will need to buy another in green eventually, but the next on the list of locos to purchase is Totness Castle (all be it from Bachmann as a class 47 in 1998 Virgin XC rather than 5031)

Once they go black, you'l never go back..

Unless of course they are unlined post war green that is  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I thought that it was valleys that were green, not halls?

• RMweb Gold

The positioning looks good to me, Robin, but the only thing I would do, if possible, is somehow disguise the base, as it looks a bit odd, being at a funny angle to the track.

Much better.

post-126-0-05998700-1526399029_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-64022900-1526399062_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-12787100-1526399083_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I thought you decked the Halls with boughs of holly - last time I looked holly was green...

...I mean the plant, not Holly Willoughby  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

71304.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As far as the Lampman is concerned I do feel a bit for him as there is (correctly for a signal of that height) one of those little landings with a handrail. and I always felt far less secure on one of those than on a ladder with a safety ring because you couldn't really jam yourself in position while using both hands to do the job. With a safety ring things were a lot simpler as you braced your feet against a ladder rung and your back end against the safety ring leaving both hands free to do the job in hand.

Mike,

You can’t have seen the Exeter S&T technique I was shown in May 1980. The method was as follows:

Stand on the platform just behind one of the side supports for the safety ring

Put your leg over the safety ring and tuck your foot inside the side support

That gives you stability and two free hands.

It also leaves the other side support for someone else to use in a similar manner, and in extremis, room for a third person to stand on the platform between you. With hindsight, I’m sure that the mechanical design hadn’t taken account of three people on the platform simultaneously, but I was young then and it was fun at the time!

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very nice with a hint of the new signal in the distance viewed about right from the track it controls..

Now you have this new signal in place does that new (silver) tree need to repositioned?

Possibly but I'll finish it before I decide. I might paint the bark on them too, any suggestions what colour.

Possibly but I'll finish it before I decide. I might paint the bark on them too, any suggestions what colour.

I would start with a grey primer, then a dirty brown wash - likely a few coats to build up. Dry brush with a light grey and see what that looks like.

• RMweb Premium

He added 3mm ;).  An important factor with a signal on the 'wrong' side is the clearance between the arm and loading gauge - which Rob also took account of.

Good point! Must remember that for Porthmellyn Road...

Black is the new black.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First impressions are good and the packaging was better than expected. No bits were off in the box.What a weighty beast too and I suppose I'd better check the running...

post-126-0-75768500-1526566220_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-94264100-1526566237_thumb.jpg

• Like 15