A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Now, with me not knowing nowt about signals and their placement, I raise the question that the ladder should be facing the direction of travel, i.e. in front of the signal, so the poor chap who has to climb up and fix the bits can see if anything is coming as he descends.

Discuss.

Now, with me not knowing nowt about signals and their placement, I raise the question that the ladder should be facing the direction of travel, i.e. in front of the signal, so the poor chap who has to climb up and fix the bits can see if anything is coming as he descends.

Discuss.

The only point I would raise with that that is on the issue of health and safety.

If the signal operated whilst the person was climbing the ladder then the poor chap could end up with one hell of a headache!

As far as I know all ladders/platforms where on the opposite side of the post to the signal arm....

Discuss (pt 2)

• RMweb Gold

Discuss.

:punish: Pay attention that signal is there for sighting reasons its for the "UP ROAD" :onthequiet:

• RMweb Gold

Signal looks about right where it is, Robin. Get down to driver's eye level from a little distance away and select correct orientation.

Keep ladder where it is, staff doing lamps and maintenance in those days should know the road and the local hazards.

• RMweb Gold

Atmospheric.Signal at danger.The Moor looming .The howl of a hound far off breaks the brooding silence.....

The brooding silence will be broken shortly by the roar of a double header on the down Riviera. ;) 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I've moved it more towards the backscene as I felt it was a tad near the running line.

attachicon.gifDSCN3365 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN3366 (2).JPG

The positioning looks good to me, Robin, but the only thing I would do, if possible, is somehow disguise the base, as it looks a bit odd, being at a funny angle to the track.

• RMweb Premium

James [toboldlygo] of this parish has done a fabulous job on my/CK's old Hall and turned it into 5998 Trevor Hall in wartime black.Here it sits in the evening sunlight awaiting its turn.

attachicon.gif5998 (2).jpgA.jpg

attachicon.gif5998 (2).jpgB.jpg

Indeed he has, although I can't quite get used to the G [crest] W livery on black.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The positioning looks good to me, Robin, but the only thing I would do, if possible, is somehow disguise the base, as it looks a bit odd, being at a funny angle to the track.

The positioning was (and I'm sure Rob won't mind me saying this)  subject of an exchange of PM's between Rob and myself and I can assure the avid readers of this thread that the siting and sighting are compliant with all relevant standards.  And it looks good.

As far as the Lampman is concerned I do feel a bit for him as there is (correctly for a signal of that height) one of those little landings with a handrail. and I always felt far less secure on one of those than on a ladder with a safety ring because you couldn't really jam yourself in position while using both hands to do the job.  With a safety ring things were a lot simpler as you braced your feet against a ladder rung and your back end against the safety ring leaving both hands free to do the job in hand.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I've moved it more towards the backscene as I felt it was a tad near the running line.

attachicon.gifDSCN3365 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN3366 (2).JPG

I was going to suggest exactly that Rob. The "standard" clearance from the track centre line to a signal post is about 30 mm in 4 mm scale; add a bit for the curve, say 5 mm, and you will be fine.

• RMweb Gold

I was going to suggest exactly that Rob. The "standard" clearance from the track centre line to a signal post is about 30 mm in 4 mm scale; add a bit for the curve, say 5 mm, and you will be fine.

He added 3mm ;).  An important factor with a signal on the 'wrong' side is the clearance between the arm and loading gauge - which Rob also took account of.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Shouldn't that be in wartime black.....

It was going to be, then I found out it spent longer in pre & post war GWR unlined Green: Shirtbutton/Monogram April 1940 to August 44, Wartime Black August 44 to September 46, Post War Green September 46 to July 51 ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You have made my mind up for me, when I get home from France Eynsham Hall is getting a respray into black...

Really like the look of a black hall!

It does mean I will need to buy another in green eventually, but the next on the list of locos to purchase is Totness Castle (all be it from Bachmann as a class 47 in 1998 Virgin XC rather than 5031)