A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

He added 3mm ;).  An important factor with a signal on the 'wrong' side is the clearance between the arm and loading gauge - which Rob also took account of.

Looking at Rob's latest posts above it occurs to me that it would need to be tall enough for sighting over the top of a train on the other line too.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at Rob's latest posts above it occurs to me that it would need to be tall enough for sighting over the top of a train on the other line too.

With the arm at 17ft 6" (above rail level) which was one of the standard heights for GWR/WR tubular steel post signals it would be (as is the case with Rob's new signal).  But various oddities could be found such as signals with posts that tall sited well up the sides if cuttings or signals with short wooden posts sited at the top of retaining walls.  And of course some very tall signals. 

• RMweb Gold

I think Rob’s latest post is just tall enough !

• RMweb Gold

Another blue team has a grand day out at wem ber lee :)

I've just seen the ticket prices plus the inevitable £2.40 booking fee per ticket + £2.40 postage+ travel costs on the Monday. :O 

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2018/may/tickets-details-confirmed-for-play-off-final-at-wembley/

Just think what I could buy for the same money model railways wise.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting point, but do bear in mind that the signalman can only clear a semaphore stop signal like that in advance of the train to which it applies passing, if all the related semaphore stop signals can also be cleared. In such cases, the indication to the driver that the semaphores will be cleared is the clearing of the distant signal.

If the driver passes the distant signal at caution, then he must be prepared to stop at each individual stop signal, each of which may only be cleared as the train concerned approaches it, should the outermost starting signal have to be maintained at danger, due to the section ahead still being blocked.

• RMweb Gold

Weren't such frivolities like bunting still on the ration in 1947?

Good point, but I think the Finching Sisters might knit some and use up some of their clothing coupons.

I was wondering when we get to see the bunting for the Royal Wedding - of 1947.

Here ya go...

post-20303-0-61456400-1526838406_thumb.jpg

Oops.... Though you said Bunty ! Mind you, how about copying these and stringing them up in your living room ?

Shouldn’t this be in the cardboard modelling forum?

I might just put it into the "How realistic are your models " thread !

Getting a little bit warm there  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Here ya go...

attachicon.gifbunty_august_04_1962.jpg

Oops.... Though you said Bunty ! Mind you, how about copying these and stringing them up in your living room ?

You have just made Sherry’s day! That page is dated 1962, when she believes she was still a regular reader, and did indeed cut out cereal packet shapes on which to stick the figure and add the clothes. Much more fun than Bye Baby Bunting!
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Interesting point, but do bear in mind that the signalman can only clear a semaphore stop signal like that in advance of the train to which it applies passing, if all the related semaphore stop signals can also be cleared. In such cases, the indication to the driver that the semaphores will be cleared is the clearing of the distant signal.

If the driver passes the distant signal at caution, then he must be prepared to stop at each individual stop signal, each of which may only be cleared as the train concerned approaches it, should the outermost starting signal have to be maintained at danger, due to the section ahead still being blocked.

That all makes good sense CK but it wasn't quite what I was getting at. I was thinking of a situation where the driver couldn't see the signal because the arm was hidden by a train passing in the opposite direction on the other track. My understanding is that if a driver can't see a signal (for whatever reason - fog, falling snow, arm fallen off, hidden by another train, etc.) he has to assume that it is On.