A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Authentic Hornby green too...one for the connoisseur:sarcastichand: Seriously though:diablo_mini: I always knew this thread was subversive,there being seemingly innumerable images or references to aforementioned 4920.Someone,somewhere is trying to induce me to submit to pressure from the Rails website where there is a Yorkshire "bonanza" of Free Postage weekend which makes a siren seductive noise in tune with ANTB....there being an already "cheap price" (no,not really ) on the Bachmann .I know I ought not but sentiment will always be my undoing weakness....cue soundtrack of "Brief Encounter"   Come on boy:devil:  let's go....

As it's 'Hall' photoshoot week on here I'll have to get my 4920 out to tempt you even more.;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As I understand it from a recent edition of 'Bulliver' (the SDR association magazine - I'm not a member but someone sent me a copy), there is some move on the railway to consider the future restoration of the Hall. They acknowledge it's too big for regular daily use on the SDR, but could earn money by being hired out to other heritage railways.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

As it's 'Hall' photoshoot week on here I'll have to get my 4920 out to tempt you even more.;)

Thank you Robin. It will now be in anticipation as I have "fallen" ( again ).By all means please keep 'em coming though. Rails generosity ends at midnight apparently.

• Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Any chance of a link to their website please, Grahame?

Certainly no problem,  https://railmodel.co.uk 

I have also be in contact with the owner, Andy Pearce, in respect of a private commission which I drew up and sent the files to him to quote for a laser cut item.

He is very accommodating and quick to respond. ( Usual disclaimers etc. ) plus I like to keep things local whenever I can.

G

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

4920 on a long freight, straight out of the box condition.

And doesn't she look splendid? I know that weathering is now the science of our modelling time, and many examples certainly successfully replicate the images we see in old photos. But some of us do not regard the word "pristine" as dirty! (!) Clean locos and stock will continue to be the order of the day for me. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, bgman said:

Just to compliment the (unfinished) station I thought I would have a go at a Ground Frame Building to compliment it.

Its a nice 7mm laser-cut model from Rail Model, who are based in Plymouth, done as a quick weekend project.

IMG_0302.jpg.a52ad1bc4fcaa76a6a313ad46ae24559.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg.0a2d9f4a6cff8dfa6e3cd3eed2a3260a.jpg

Its actually based on one which was at Callington and I have replaced the wriggly tin roof ( in the kit ) with a slate one.

G

That would appear to be just the thing for a 7mm version of Sheep Lane....

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Any chance of a link to their website please, Grahame?

And that's not really helped either...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

I see you have gone for gold, wiggo :)

Always believe in your soul, You've got the power to know, you're indestructible. Always believe in because you are....

T H Adley.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, bgman said:

Certainly no problem,  https://railmodel.co.uk 

I have also be in contact with the owner, Andy Pearce, in respect of a private commission which I drew up and sent the files to him to quote for a laser cut item.

He is very accommodating and quick to respond. ( Usual disclaimers etc. ) plus I like to keep things local whenever I can.

G

Interesting link BGbloke, the only things that put me off laser cut stone buildings are that the stonework is so flat and that they often have a very obvious repeat pattern in the 'random' stonework. Obviously done for speed but it does spoil it somewhat IMO.

rps20190422_161915.jpg.7dc88e0ad66843d41b4d28d4021b4738.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

the only things that put me off laser cut stone buildings are that the stonework is so flat

And that my dear chap is why I don't buy models with laser cut stonework, great for brickwork though !

Mind you, if you're trying to represent cut stone e.g. Bath stone fair faced it would probably pass muster with some decent painting etc.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, bgman said:

And that my dear chap is why I don't buy models with laser cut stonework, great for brickwork though !

Mind you, if you're trying to represent cut stone e.g. Bath stone fair faced it would probably pass muster with some decent painting etc.

G

Would be a great finish for the expensive nice and flat stone, particularly if that had a regular stone size. The Intentio guys have knocked out some convincing laser cut rough stone, and with a larger repeat pattern, so it can be done. I guess I've spent too long making model stone buildings over the years and things like repeat patterns jump out at me...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think it's all just fab and lovely.

E.A. Silypleased.

Mr Silyplease, you are indeed - by small "cute" industrials in particular I understand...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Mr Silyplease, you are indeed - by small "cute" industrials in particular I understand...

I never did not find no offence in no small cute engines, that's the truth, Guv'nor.

Edited by Captain Kernow
Blubberhouses

Hi,

Apologies for the intrusion, but in view of the rather sad photos of 4920 shown earlier, I thought a photo of a rather better cared for, albeit modified, example might cheer things up? 6960 Raveningham Hall on the stops at Minehead this afternoon.

Cheers,

Mike

IMG_4587.JPG

• Like 15

I'm also aware that there are follows of this thread who are not averse to Manors and or cute panniers, so here's two for the price of one!  7828 Odney Manor and 6400 Class Pannier 6430 double head the 12.40 from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead at Dunster today.

Mike

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

• Like 19