A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

gurgle :scared:

That is where the Macy D straw you have in the inside pocket of your jacket comes in handy. It enables you to breath under water. Providing you remember to take out your pocket and put it in your mouth.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I would understand more of this conversation had I not missed National Service by two years ,however the shades of green seen on the past two pages make Hornby’s Brunswick green seem more attractive!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

That is where the Macy D straw you have in the inside pocket of your jacket comes in handy. It enables you to breath under water. Providing you remember to take out your pocket and put it in your mouth.

Macy's sells straws?:mellow:

Brian.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/09/2019 at 11:42, TrevorP1 said:

I only remember the tanks going up the hill Clive - understandable in view of the incredible noise! -  so they would have been going away from Marchwood. I’ve often wondered where all this military traffic was going. Salisbury Plain possibly, Longmoor, Bagshot?  Would have been 1960ish give or take a year or two.

Back to UK for scrap, factory level upgrade (there was a super-sized workshop in Germany that did some serious deep repairs ( in Wetter?)

And some units relocated to the UK brought their tanks with them, or if a unit gets a better model the old ones were usually relegated to the Yeomanry (TA)

Plenty of reasons for armour coming back into Marchwood.

There was no need for German based tanks to come back to play in the UK - exercises then and right up to the late 80s allowed you to literally roll over germans' fields and go where you liked - so why waste your time on a postage stamp like Salisbury plain when a Div exercise could start on the Dutch border and finish at the fence in the East?  and they frequently did!

I'm somewhat stunned to see the tanks in Calne photo again.  No idea what they would have been doing anywhere near Calne with 5 x MBT.  It's not on the Plain and there were no Army units close enough. Plenty of airfields..........

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I well remember the first Wimpy bar in Plymouth, so cool by UK standards of the time and a great place to hook up.  The grilled onions made it for me and the cold Coke, up till then it was invariably served warm; UGH!  I suppose we all thought we were cool; I had a Vanguard then - super cool, big bench seats.................:diablo_mini:

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Still one in my home town, in the same location from when I used to go as a child too https://locations.wimpy.uk.com/search.html

Do you remember it opening in 1967, Andrew? Cool, we thought. I was last in there in 2012. I had just climbed Box Hill, then walked back into Dorking via Burford Bridge. Box Hill was awash with tv people and tech, ready for the Olympic cycling a couple of weeks later. It's never been the same since. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, brianusa said:

I well remember the first Wimpy bar in Plymouth, so cool by UK standards of the time and a great place to hook up.  The grilled onions made it for me ——-

So this is to remind you of the smell of grilled onions    And the days when cars and men wore moustaches!

F29529CB-8A85-40DD-845B-1F05164D78F2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Do you remember it opening in 1967, Andrew? Cool, we thought. I was last in there in 2012. I had just climbed Box Hill, then walked back into Dorking via Burford Bridge. Box Hill was awash with tv people and tech, ready for the Olympic cycling a couple of weeks later. It's never been the same since. 

I remember going soon after it opened and having double burger and chips with a coke float (coca cola with ice cream in it)...! Saw it in the summer when I was last in Dorking but it’s donkey’s years since I’ve been in. I’m not THAT nostalgic.

• Funny 1

Old days says he!  Reading in the rain and it wasn't that long ago; a mere sixty years or so -  before I was a serious train collector and had money in the bank:mellow:  Was there a Wimpy in Brent to bring this conversation back to what Rob envisioned for this topic along with the Warflats!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
add
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/09/2019 at 19:49, gwrrob said:

BIast, I have painted it using Humbrol 159 khaki drab which as you can see is a lot lighter than the 155 olive drab I should have used.:read:

Forgot to comment in all the Sherman excitement, but why not paint in a camouflage scheme? Some Cromwell CS tanks carried a disruptive camouflage scheme of black on olive drab in Germany in 1945. Your tank could be one that was shipped back after the war, for whatever reason. (Its your railway)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

A chimney question guys, I'm getting towards the end of the extremely lengthy Goods Shed build (I've had a few days break to do other bits and pieces) and I'm about to fit the Chimney. The instructions say place on the main shed roof in roughly the position shown in the first photo.

goodsShed_26.jpg.411a5907ae1ed25bb275a907908ab8c5.jpg

However I placed it on the office roof and now I'm confused.

goodsShed_26B.jpg.17ff5cc9af40eec4e29135bf7fd41af2.jpg

Which looks better?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1