A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Just back from a few days in Dorset where despite the weather we managed a trip on the Swanage Railway. We rode behind a BR standard in a newly restored, rather nice, Maunsell open third coach. Despite being restored last year it still had its luggage racks stolen by some and they are fundraising to get the necessary funds, £10k , for some replacements.

1956278988_DSCN5987(2).JPG.5c4301b583225f57ab8b11d27ddc7908.JPG1606671063_DSCN5990(2).JPG.5a0836cfae8df5741f8a24e0226a344f.JPG676598197_DSCN5991(2).JPG.997161b569c1d324dfc47714e4fb7bdd.JPG1069556416_DSCN5993(2).JPG.b673d967f1c210c510eb498590c91ac8.JPG

WTF do you do with luggage racks from a Maunsell Coach unless you are another Heritage Railway Artisan Boutique Coach owner? .

Knobby Mc Knobbery 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Amongst the crap in thus auction there are some GWR coaches that look reasonable....Lawrence Goddard supposedly

http://www.vectis.co.uk/auction/model-train-sale-762-1

I’ve used Vectis and was very satisfied. They have pretty good reputation so if they say something is by Larry Goddard I think they would have something to justify saying so.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

676598197_DSCN5991(2).JPG.997161b569c1d324dfc47714e4fb7bdd.JPG

A nice reminder of my old friend the late Mike Stollery. His own 00 model of Swanage is now in the care of his mates at Brighton MRC.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I’ve used Vectis and was very satisfied. They have pretty good reputation so if they say something is by Larry Goddard I think they would have something to justify saying so.

Signatures under the floor, typically written in gold colour. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Me too but I keep forgetting the fees...doh! Anyway, there is a bunch of unusual stock for mostly GWR, including some non passenger vehicles. This particular auction though is mostly tat, unusually I have to say.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Having now digested the Hatton's Genesis announcement  https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=594#gwr  I'm still undecided on whether I can use these and in what context.:read:

They are a bit like 7 plank coal wagons in GWR livery, looking right but so so wrong. Just my opinion, of course it is up to you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Having now digested the Hatton's Genesis announcement  https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=594#gwr  I'm still undecided on whether I can use these and in what context.:read:

I like the concept and plan to get a handful.

If, necessary, rule 1 will be applied but in a backwater location like  Little Muddle I’m sure they won’t look out of place anyway!!

I would have thought you could get away with a works train setup Rob? A few tatty coaches heading to who knows where, or even some old stock left abandoned in a siding.....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, KNP said:

I like the concept and plan to get a handful.

If, necessary, rule 1 will be applied but in a backwater location like  Little Muddle I’m sure they won’t look out of place anyway.

I think your layout will suit these coaches down to the ground Kev.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I think your layout will suit these coaches down to the ground Kev.

Exactly my thoughts when I first saw the advert.

The Dean pulling half a dozen 4/6 wheelers over the viaduct would look ideal.....

just have wait now:wacko:

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I shall be having a chat with Hatton's Dave tomorrow at the GETS in Milton Keynes.;) If anyone has a question for him let me know.

When will they actually be available??????

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, KNP said:

When will they actually be available??????

First quarter 2021.:read: I see they're planning on adding a full brake to the range already announced.

18 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

First quarter 2021.:read: I see they're planning on adding a full brake to the range already announced.

What I meant was actually, when I ordered the DJM 14xx it arrived over 18 mths later than  the projected delivery date!

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, KNP said:

What I meant was actually, when I ordered the DJM 14xx it arrived over 18 mths later than  the projected delivery date!

We waited five long years for the Bachmann warflat.:lol:

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, KNP said:

Exactly my thoughts when I first saw the advert.

The Dean pulling half a dozen 4/6 wheelers over the viaduct would look ideal.....

just have wait now:wacko:

The trouble is that, initially at least, many of the liveries are understandably pre-grouping ones including the GWR ones and may not be suitable for GWR 1930/40s and thus not ideal for LM and ANTB.  I'm going to wait and see if some more post grouping liveries materialize; I'm sure this type of coach lasted into the 1950s on workmen's trains.  I've lived without coaches such as these for 30 years, another two or three won't matter too much.  The number of areas and eras that these could made for must be vast and for a full-brake even greater, they could be a real money-spinner for Hattons.  The normally terrible (in my opinion) Platform 1 on YouTube yesterday (12/9) did feature these coaches and the indications are that they have realised not doing a full-brake was a big mistake and are designing one right now.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Useless information alert. The Swindon Town FC Club badge is a disgrace...…………………….look and see what I mean. Being an evil little #### I have contacted the Club to ask if they know what is wrong with the design. Pride of the GWR and all that.:diablo_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Being an evil little ####

I thought there were 5 letters in #####.

:-)

There definitely are when people get upset with me at work!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I shall be having a chat with Hatton's Dave tomorrow at the GETS in Milton Keynes.;) If anyone has a question for him let me know.

Didn’t see you there but enjoyed the show.  Some great layouts particularly Bournemouth West.  Smallest chap liked Avon-A-Llyin.  He also had the advantage of being at platform level on several layouts.

David

3D63BD0F-2664-4737-9DFB-CB686B35FF06.jpeg

D2124036-F382-496B-A24B-6E976199BC90.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Useless information alert. The Swindon Town FC Club badge is a disgrace...…………………….look and see what I mean. Being an evil little #### I have contacted the Club to ask if they know what is wrong with the design. Pride of the GWR and all that.:diablo_mini:

It’s been got at by some p***k in the club, my lover. The proper town coat of arms is supposed to be a Dean Single without a tender,https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/index.php?title=Swindon&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop

• Informative/Useful 2