A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I've made a start on their assembly, @toboldlygo has them for weathering at the moment. Final fitting will happen after I purchase those Millicast Humber scouts I mentioned a few pages back. The holes on the Roxey bits take 0.4mm wire for fitting. It will take some trial and error.

I deny everything your honor....

• Funny 2

9 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

I deny everything your honor....

Why ? 

Stand up and be counted just like the rest of us ! :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks everyone for the likes, sometimes we look back with rose tinted glasses but I prefer sepia tinted ones as it makes the sky more menacing.:lol:

1044130477_3796(3)sepia.jpg.8d98e7750a56cb1b6343216d17e74b2c.jpg

One heard the chilling howl of the hound on Grimpen Mire.......nothing compares with the nostalgia of sepia .....and horsehair of course.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

On a local, prototypical note, I discovered the other day that the former 'Royal Oak' pub has now reopened as a 'boutique hotel'.

I'm not sure what a 'boutique hotel' is and I don't think they are actually called the Royal Oak (or 'The Oak', as it was more recently) any longer.

They don't sell ladies clothes and they don't seem to do manicures in there either.

They do sell hot beverages and cakes to passers by, though.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

On a local, prototypical note, I discovered the other day that the former 'Royal Oak' pub has now reopened as a 'boutique hotel'.

I'm not sure what a 'boutique hotel' is and I don't think they are actually called the Royal Oak (or 'The Oak', as it was more recently) any longer.

They don't sell ladies clothes and they don't seem to do manicures in there either.

They do sell hot beverages and cakes to passers by, though.

Not that complicated once you've been in one - not necessarily recommended. 

Boutique = expensive, usually small, shop

Boutique hotel = expensive, usually small, hotel

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

on the same principle beware of anything "Artisan"

Artisan.....something made bodged by a middle class hippie who having made a fortune in the city has decided to drop out and make stuff no one wants but will buy to make themselves seem trendy.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My latest piece of Great Westernry, modded from an unlined GW green example from Oz Ebay at a very reasonable price. I was hauled by the prototype on 24/9/1960 from Snow Hill to Shrewsbury  on the Talyllyn  preservation special, 9years old, where did it go?

47xx_002.JPG.b00233052c569621d226127746b105be.JPG

Meanwhile one for Phil (60022), also to remind me of a pleasant stay at Her Majesties pleasure! (Only joking....!)

47xx_006_(2).jpg.6bf1d7d76fbb4ac7ae9768481a5b8639.jpg

Cheers from Oz, (note the blue sky, 31C today),

Peter C.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Boutique hotel = expensive, usually small, hotel

Definitely small, as in not enough room to open your suitcase.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

i’m surprised no ones mentioned the new Hatton’s GWR coach range yet.

You did once, but I think you got away with it...

Too early for you

A. Nachronism

29 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

That "but" makes me think you might not 100% approve, Si. The power of the English language that one three letter word can change the meaning of a sentence. Given that GWR modellers have always had the Ratio option I think it's great for people who have bought pre-grouping passenger locos in pretty liveries and want something to drag behind them. I'll be honest and say if they showed me one in SECR livery I couldn't point out the inaccuracies, and I suspect 90% of their market couldn't either. I love getting a vintage train at a preserved railway and don't care that they are mostly on PMV chassis. I'm probably just easily pleased :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

I'll be honest and say if they showed me one in SECR livery I couldn't point out the inaccuracies, and I suspect 90% of their market couldn't either. I love getting a vintage train at a preserved railway and don't care that they are mostly on PMV chassis. I'm probably just easily pleased :)

I think you are in the majority, Colin. We love the re-creations, lovingly crafted by volunteers in relative obscurity compared with their colleagues working on locos. They are as close as we will get to a C19 travel experience by train. and only the super-enthusiast knows the details of C19 rolling stock on his chosen prototype. That's why the Hattons models will sell well - most of us can't spot the fake. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's an unbelievable number of livery variations.

Are they based on anything in particular or are they completely generic?

They are generic, from the Hattons website:

"The individual styling has been made to include the most common features from some of the most widespread and longest lasting coaches to help make them recognisable to customers."

A wise move by Hattons given the (currently) limited market for coaches of that era and the minefield that is the variations and limited numbers of the prototypes.

Should do well for Hattons, and for those wanting accurate items they may provide either a good starting point for kitbashing or more optimistically a way to bootstrap the market for that era so it gets big enough to support the more accurate and likely more expensive accurate models.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If Hattons are producing generic bodies for their coaches we shan’t be able to enjoy the variety of roof profiles that, for example, the Southern inherited. Not an easy task to modify.

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a few days in Dorset where despite the weather we managed a trip on the Swanage Railway. We rode behind a BR standard in a newly restored, rather nice, Maunsell open third coach. Despite being restored last year it still had its luggage racks stolen by some and they are fundraising to get the necessary funds, £10k , for some replacements.

1956278988_DSCN5987(2).JPG.5c4301b583225f57ab8b11d27ddc7908.JPG1606671063_DSCN5990(2).JPG.5a0836cfae8df5741f8a24e0226a344f.JPG676598197_DSCN5991(2).JPG.997161b569c1d324dfc47714e4fb7bdd.JPG1069556416_DSCN5993(2).JPG.b673d967f1c210c510eb498590c91ac8.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1