A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

My recollection is that a particularly knowledgeable RMwebber tackled SK face to face about the incorrect wheels and was told he was wrong and Hornby were right....... This must have been before the error was understood and the replacement sets offered. 

I too seem to remember there was huge discussions on here about it and possibly a number of people accosted Simon about it before replacements were offered.

Got there in the end though… seems a long time ago now.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Feeling a bit underwhelmed again.

16 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Indeed.  I keep hoping for a bird series Bulldog - after all they've already made about three quarters of it.

Very underwhelming. I posted a thumbs down and a comment about the lack of new carriages on the Youtube feed. Sadly I don't think Bachmann, or indeed Hornby are listening at the moment.

Thankfully I have enough carriages to build, which should keep me busy during 2022.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

@McC will be happy as any money now not needed for Bachmann purchases can be diverted to getting another siphon g.:D

Sadly no 'inspired by' tightwad thunder-pants to whinge about thankfully ;) :jester::jester:

No Loin  or Lioriot to moan about.

Blew their budget on the tooling for the class 47 :O

Though why GWR green causes a £100 increase on the Earl...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Feeling a bit underwhelmed again.

How do you think we Southern Region fans feel?:jester:

There's nothing at all in this set of announcements, and once King Leodegrance and the Bulleid coaches have turned up, that'll be my lot for things in blue boxes u.f.n. (assuming nobody else is using blue boxes :D).

John

EDIT: Right then, now Dapol are going to be keeping (some of) the Westerners happy, who's going to announce a set of SR Ironclads?

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

How do you think we Southern Region fans feel?:jester:

There's nothing at all in this set of announcements, and once King Leodegrance and the Bulleid coaches have turned up, that'll be my lot for things in blue boxes u.f.n. (assuming nobody else is using blue boxes :D).

John

fearing his disastrous reign as the the grand inquisitor should end with a red hot poker where the sun doesn't shine (spams possibly), a gun for hire has been acquisitioned to show the way...

mando.jpg.cd77aa46236317d669926ea5272bf4da.jpg

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

A third to diagram C37, a composite E101 and brake third D 62 in all over brown livery please.;)

Please excuse my lack of knowledge with coaches, these coaches ran in set of six? Were they ever broken up into individual coaches or sets of three? And how far did they travel?

Also seems to have slipped by most, the toplight corridors are also being developed, as said at the bottom of the Dapol annoucement: https://www.Dapol.co.uk/OO-Gauge-GWR-Toplight-Mainline-City-Coaches-Announced?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Also seems to have slipped by most, the toplight corridors are also being developed

Yup, jut checked it out.  I have no use for the non-corridor stock but that little throwaway line at the end is very good news indeed!

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Please excuse my lack of knowledge with coaches, these coaches ran in set of six? Were they ever broken up into individual coaches or sets of three? And how far did they travel?

Yes, they ran in sets of six (a 'C' set). The inner ends had shortie buffers. I don't think they were ever broken up, until they were retired and some individual coaches used on miners' trains in South Wales. (There are some pictures of them in this guise on RMweb.) They were strictly suburban, and probably didn't venture much beyond Reading (maybe Oxford). I don't think I've ever seen a pic of them on the Wycombe or Birmingham lines - they looked so ordinary no one seemed interested in taking pictures of them.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Yes, they ran in sets of six (a 'C' set). The inner ends had shortie buffers. I don't think they were ever broken up, until they were retired and some individual coaches used on miners' trains in South Wales. (There are some pictures of them in this guise on RMweb.) They were strictly suburban, and probably didn't venture much beyond Reading (maybe Oxford). I don't think I've ever seen a pic of them on the Wycombe or Birmingham lines - they looked so ordinary no one seemed interested in taking pictures of them.

@Miss Prism if you were a betting man which of the corridor toplights would you put folding on from Dapol ?

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

@Miss Prism if you were a betting man which of the corridor toplights would you put folding on from Dapol ?

56' or 57'. I can't see a manufacturer being particularly comfortable about doing a 70-footer. I'd go for:

- a brake composite

- a brake 3rd

- a 3rd

Dapol now have a 9' fishbelly, so this will probably inform the choice of corridor types.

Time to dust off Neal's Toplight thread I think, but I suspect Dapol will have read that, and will already have a good idea of what they are going to do.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Miss Prism said:

56' or 57'. I can't see a manufacturer being particularly comfortable about doing a 70-footer. I'd go for:

- a brake composite

- a brake 3rd

- a 3rd

Dapol now have a 9' fishbelly, so this will probably inform the choice of corridor types.

Time to dust off Neal's Toplight thread I think, but I suspect Dapol will have read that, and will already have a good idea of what they are going to do.

Indeed.

I know Dapol are not fans of RMWeb, but I hope they’ve done their homework and to be honest I wish them well…. Please Mr Dapol get it right.

Generic might suit a nondescript 4 wheel, but not something billed as main line and city Toplights or corridor Toplights.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Generic might suit a nondescript 4 wheel, but not something billed as main line and city Toplights or corridor Toplights.

They won't be generic and have you seen the delightful underframe detail.

45431431_Toplightunderframe2.jpg.a77223ca5f958f7caf74313b17937db7.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

….Time to dust off Neal's Toplight thread I think, but I suspect Dapol will have read that, and will already have a good idea of what they are going to do.

This is good news indeed… the poll in 2017 and previous conversations in 2013 sparked much debate:

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

They won't be generic and have you seen the delightful underframe detail.

45431431_Toplightunderframe2.jpg.a77223ca5f958f7caf74313b17937db7.jpg

Lets overlook the screw!

That underframe certainly looks the part, with pick ups, lighting and also a rear light. They will be fabulous 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2