A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Back in 2018 we had an ANTB gathering in the Cotswolds and some larking about by the usual suspects was had.:(

1517531340_DSCN4544(3).JPG.3e2da95ec7d83d2cad827a191da26d8a.JPG

Thank you Rob. I am devastated by BG's death. However, this has just made my day mate and I thank you.

Yes, suspects. He helped me in so many ways over the years and it was so good to meet him at Cheltenham, if just for that one day. I am so glad I did.

What rips me apart most is his Grandson not having his Grandad there to love and cherish him. Devastating.

Life is too short.

All the best Rob and gang.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

You mention ECG which is a basic,routine procedure in cases of cardiac problems .  A more searching diagnostic tool is an echocardiogram,which is a 20 minute scan achieved  by sounding the l/h side around the heart area . That should give a better idea of what exactly is going on. In fact,I had one last Monday,some 3 months after open heart surgery and had a phone call today from my cardiologist with the news,much to my relief,  that the result was good. 

My experience with the NHS lately….and I am aware of the pressure the system is under….is that if you don’t ask,you don’t get….and then some.In other words,persist until you get the outcome you want.Believe me,it works .

On the same subject,including a blue light episode.,remembering Grahame,sadly no longer with us. There but for etc.,etc….go I.   I have had a close encounter and I’m still here.I cannot get my head around this latest tragedy.   I feel shaken for all kinds of reasons that can’t be expressed. 
 We’ve lost a good bloke.

So, it is with a heavy heart - RIP Grahame . We all ignore the signs - ( including the gp's)  we think it's our age or have been overdoing it- please don't. Yes Ian and myself are damn lucky to be with you:angel:

Just to clarify, they put a load of probes on your chest with an ECG (or EKG) and something happens, it annoys/ frightens you, but hell that 's just your heart - not someone saying there's a rivet that's .002mm out or it's the wrong shade of green. The Echocardiogram is painful, but gives images of your heart to look for damage (thankfully mine was healthy - it was a vein on my left-hand side brain that went pop - high blood pressure).

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

So, it is with a heavy heart - RIP Grahame . We all ignore the signs - ( including the gp's)  we think it's our age or have been overdoing it- please don't. Yes Ian and myself are damn lucky to be with you:angel:

Just to clarify, they put a load of probes on your chest with an ECG (or EKG) and something happens, it annoys/ frightens you, but hell that 's just your heart - not someone saying there's a rivet that's .002mm out or it's the wrong shade of green. The Echocardiogram is painful, but gives images of your heart to look for damage (thankfully mine was healthy - it was a vein on my left-hand side brain that went pop - high blood pressure).

Just to clarify one point. I’ve had three of this procedure without any form of either discomfort or pain. Maybe ,as you also say,I’ve  been lucky.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
On 24/10/2021 at 20:29, 46444 said:

Regarding the railcar's future I'd be tempted to hang on to it. It's a stunning model and screams GWR. 

Let TBG work his wonders on it and it will lift it to another level... ;)

I blame you @46444 totally as he's just finished it. :scratchhead:I did keep it and even added some Modelu passengers and a driver. Photos next week.:rolleyes:

no22_02.jpg..jpga.jpg.a9d79b0e47ad6e422604f6776282d898.jpg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I blame you @46444 totally as he's just finished it. :scratchhead:I did keep it and even added some Modelu passengers and a driver. Photos next week.:rolleyes:

He chopped the legs off them, without anaesthetic :Opoor chaps & chapesses needed counselling:read:

In case, your curious it's MRP RAF grey blue for the roof & Tamiya XF paints & Flory dark dirt wash the weathering. certainly nicer detailed than the Lima one I weathered.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

That looks superb Robin... :D

Glad I was of assistance in my powers of persuasion... ;)

Must say toboldlygo has done a champion job... :)

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of GWR railcars I saw the lovely Streamlined No: 4 in the NRM recently next to Lode Star... 

GWR York..

A bit obscured sadly in my shot.. 

;)

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I think that Lode Star, is a case of the real thing looking like a model.

At least it's got the right number of bogie spokes.:D

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

The guys at Rapido have just made this video and you can see their latest wagons being run. He also has the GWR wagon bible to hand to help start the frothing.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Does it come with the correct Ikea Shelves?

Or (the following comes with a  serious health warning- hazard to the health, It may seriously damage your health/ wealth)... the wrong shade of green(GTN Spray on standby):jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Does he care ?

Probably not…awaiting his knighthood in Her Maj’s Special birthday honours or a call to the Palace as Bojo’s  eventual replacement.  Ask Stationmaster Mike his opinion…he’s a well known  SK authority :triniti:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

Now soon begins the discussion of whether or not to return Lode Star to the main line again; 2999 needs a friend around the same age and the Edwardians have been neglected long enough:unsure:

There's always C of T though!:)

Brian.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Now soon begins the discussion of whether or not to return Lode Star to the main line again; 2999 needs a friend around the same age and the Edwardians have been neglected long enough:unsure:

There's always C of T though!:)

Brian.

There’s a good article on Lode Star and it’s condition in the newest GWS magazine. Lots of interior photos of the smoke box and how the elbow pipes were patched over.  Basically, it looks like it was not intended /expected to steam again and the conservationists want to keep the Swindon work. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

There’s a good article on Lode Star and it’s condition in the newest GWS magazine. Lots of interior photos of the smoke box and how the elbow pipes were patched over.  Basically, it looks like it was not intended /expected to steam again and the conservationists want to keep the Swindon work. 

IIRC, it was made clear from the outset that the restoration of Lode Star was purely cosmetic with no expectation of a future return to working order.

Anybody got a Castle rolling chassis going begging?

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, gwrrob said:

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Does Mr K agree?

6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Does he care ?

I think that's a little unfair. When the Hornby Star first came out, correct replacement bogie wheels were available on request, free of charge (free postage too).

One day I"ll get round to fitting them...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I think that's a little unfair. When the Hornby Star first came out, correct replacement bogie wheels were available on request, free of charge (free postage too).

One day I"ll get round to fitting them...

My recollection is that a particularly knowledgeable RMwebber tackled SK face to face about the incorrect wheels and was told he was wrong and Hornby were right....... This must have been before the error was understood and the replacement sets offered. 

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1