A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

18 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

56' or 57'. I can't see a manufacturer being particularly comfortable about doing a 70-footer. I'd go for:

- a brake composite

- a brake 3rd

- a 3rd

Dapol now have a 9' fishbelly, so this will probably inform the choice of corridor types.

Time to dust off Neal's Toplight thread I think, but I suspect Dapol will have read that, and will already have a good idea of what they are going to do.

I agree.  56/57 foot and gloss over the 4mm difference. Analysis I did pictured below.  You pretty much end up with the diagrams Slaters chose.  Funny that.

Smart I think to pick both a pretty livery (crimson lake) and sets.  People will buy 4/5 for the set.  If I was them, I’d a) pick prototype numbers that weren’t plated over in BR days and therefore wouldn’t have been in earlier liveries and b) look at the whitewash as an ‘unusual’ coach given its longevity (I know was much modified later).

07B6C6D5-DEAA-4C7E-A45A-DC9640E1D096.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

54 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Lets overlook the screw!

That underframe certainly looks the part, with pick ups, lighting and also a rear light. They will be fabulous 

Don't forget Kinematic Couplings as well. Kudos to Dapol here, they do seem to be trying to set a new standard.

Now just to work out how to validate one or two corridor version on a 1957/58 Somerset branch line...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'm sure @BMacdermott will remind us how they polled on here last year.

A quick search revealed they polled very poorly.

They arrived in the middle of the Low Polling section of the overall summary with a mere 5 votes

They were also in the Low Polling section of Mini-Poll 13 (Non-gangwayed coaches) with 7 other items polling above them.

Mini-poll 13 results - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent-a-friendly-thread-filled-with-frivolity-cream-teas-and-pasties-longing-for-the-happy-days-in-the-south-hams-1947/&do=findComment&comment=4573446

Mini-poll 13 description - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent-a-friendly-thread-filled-with-frivolity-cream-teas-and-pasties-longing-for-the-happy-days-in-the-south-hams-1947/&do=findComment&comment=4569005

Final Mini-poll results message with link to PDF of complete results - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent-a-friendly-thread-filled-with-frivolity-cream-teas-and-pasties-longing-for-the-happy-days-in-the-south-hams-1947/&do=findComment&comment=4580904

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I’m just recovering my socks which landed a fair distance away after today’s announcement from Dapol. The subs will be nice but it’s the corridor toplights that I’m really looking forward to. 

In separate but relevant other news, from the social media wires it looks like Accurascale’s indefatigable head researcher was at a certain steam shed in Oxfordshire today. I wonder what for? :scratchhead:

CoY

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I’m just recovering my socks which landed a fair distance away after today’s announcement from Dapol. The subs will be nice but it’s the corridor toplights that I’m really looking forward to. 

In separate but relevant other news, from the social media wires it looks like Accurascale’s indefatigable head researcher was at a certain steam shed in Oxfordshire today. I wonder what for? :scratchhead:

CoY

Saints alive!

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rob and everyone

Within (what was) The 00 Wishlist Poll, we listed the articulated version of the 'Mainline & City Stock' for the first time in 2018. It was the lowest-voted GWR stock, garnering 88 votes.

It was in again in 2019 (the last main Poll to run), but attained 56 votes this time.

We 'combined' articulated and bogie 'Mainline & City Stock' in the GWR Mini-Poll - so we can't be certain about either being more or less popular than the other.

We don't yet know which Diagrams of 'Toplight' Gangwayed Stock will be made, but - 'generically' - 'Toplights' have always been in The Top 50.

I hope the stock will turn out to be a success for Dapol as it might encourage others to make Quad- and Quint-Arts  for GN/GER modellers.

Brian

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Maybe Dapol have produced this type since two full -size examples were available to survey at Didcot?

Perhaps that also helps with marketing the models.

Incidentally, the restored Didcot van third 3755 was damaged in a running line accident, at Old Oak Common, in 1927. The report (including the formation of the train) can be downloaded from the Railway Archive website:

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=2083

Edited by Nick Gough
Autocorrect changed a word
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

The subs will be nice but it’s the corridor toplights that I’m really looking forward to. 

Absolutely and I'd probably be shot if I didn't order some to run on here even though the general consensus says they were unlikely to have been seen this far west.:read:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Absolutely and I'd probably be shot if I didn't order some to run on here even though the general consensus says they were unlikely to have been seen this far west.:read:

Indeed, what you need is Maunsell and Bulleid stock. 100% sure on that.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

the vile rust or cleaning up number two's for the GI , has affected your sanity, back to the naughty step with you ;) 

Apologies, misread that as sanitary. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

You could ask Dapol to do this livery as they seem to have inexplicably missed it out:3755and3756_old_01-1.jpg.168a27c299a760a439061f041399f878.jpg

3755/56 at Newton Abbot Power Station en route to Buckfastleigh August 23 ,1965 (photo by B. Gibson).

Still a bit late for your 1957 BR scenario...

• Like 13
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

there's a bottle of Colman's Mint Sauce with your name on it:read::O:jester:

Really? I've not seen them with Sheepbloke on the label before....Cool. 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Rob, re Hunts, have you got your answer yet? If not ask Gilbert Barnett Peterboro North.

I use them on my kit built wagons but I haven't done any RTR ones (yet).

P

I’ll wait and have a look at them when I see their stand at a show sometime.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Are you Mutton or Lamb - asking for my friend doctor lector...

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Probably dressed as matey.

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Don't ask which side he dresses though.

P

3 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

depends on whether he likes a nice chianti or Malbec and baked beans or fava beans... :O :O 

post-14122-0-02211500-1535912903.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 4