A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Found this while wandering through a rather excellent little photo site- stations etc are arranged in alphabetical order and there is even a pic of S**t*n Jcn (with diseasal railcar at the branch platform).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/12186853495/in/album-72157638438054524/

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

Possibly the main reason for these numbers is the variety of the site.  Certainly a lot of SB to justify the title, but a lot of other interesting items ( I was going to write tit bits but thought better of it!) that won't be found on those irritating sites that don't allow wandering off subject.

Brian.

It has often been said - a prarie rarely offends.

WE SHALL SEE

post-25234-0-71201600-1476651078.jpg

But today was its last day in service before a rebuild, well thats my excuse.

(And at least if you can all see it, it would suggest I've found a way around my computers intransigence re: uploading photos). So I'll be heading over to my thread out of the way, to catch up.

Good evening

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO reckons they look like Rice Crispies but here's a nice casting from Ten Commandments for an item that the Kingsbridge branch moved in tons.

Humbrol base coat.

post-126-0-62464100-1476716424_thumb.jpg

Weathered.

post-126-0-91016500-1476716460_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO reckons they look like Rice Crispies but here's a nice casting from Ten Commandments for an item that the Kingsbridge branch moved in tons.

Humbrol base coat.

attachicon.gifDSCN9591.jpg

Weathered.

attachicon.gifDSCN9593.jpg

Hmm, interesting colour assuming it is meant to be sugar beet (and some strange shapes too).  However if it is sugar beet don't forget that it is very seasonal (just about coming into season for lifting I think) and the lifting season only lasted a few weeks in many areas although it officially goes on until March.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, interesting colour assuming it is meant to be sugar beet (and some strange shapes too).  However if it is sugar beet don't forget that it is very seasonal (just about coming into season for lifting I think) and the lifting season only lasted a few weeks in many areas although it officially goes on until March.

Just following the colour photo I have Mike.What would the correct van be for these as I thought any old POW would suffice.

• RMweb Premium

Snap Crackle and Pop............

Beet has a very short season locally, but nationally takes a long time to peter out - different regions peak at different times, as with all crops.

Humbrol base coat.

attachicon.gifDSCN9591.jpg

Weathered.

attachicon.gifDSCN9593.jpg

Neither colour resembles Beet.  Odd shape, most of them, too.

I've just lived for 7 soul-destroying F-g years in the Fens.  I knew that, one day, it would come in useful and that the whole ghastly experience would be rendered worthwhile.  Thank you, Rob, for giving me that moment. 

Where chipped, the beet would be quite pale. 

post-25673-0-33304700-1476727908_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just following the colour photo I have Mike.What would the correct van be for these as I thought any old POW would suffice.

'Van'!! A mineral wagon would suffice- perhaps sheeted. The stuff tends to stand in heaps around the roads in beet-growing country; I wonder if frost concentrates the sugar, as it does with parsnips? After the sugar was extracted, the beet pulp was dried and compressed to make 'beet nuts'- these would be despatched in vans to cattle-rearing areas, where they were used as winter feed for stock.

• Informative/Useful 1

Neither colour resembles Beet.  Odd shape, most of them, too.

I've just lived for 7 soul-destroying F-g years in the Fens.  I knew that, one day, it would come in useful and that the whole ghastly experience would be rendered worthwhile.  Thank you, Rob, for giving me that moment. 

Where chipped, the beet would be quite pale. 

Agree.  They grow the stuff not a hundred yards from here... Well, did, as it has been harvested recently! And no, I'm not in the Fens. My soul is quite intact as well.... :crazy:

• Like 2

post-9751-0-63986400-1476742086.jpg

Have the management permanently banished the Finchings to the dark shadows of the footbridge, or are they just in a stinking huff because an arriviste bracket signal has recently stolen their limelight and severely limited their photo opportunities?

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 9