A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Just following the colour photo I have Mike.What would the correct van be for these as I thought any old POW would suffice.

Harvested beet was despatched in open wagons - 16ton Mins in my day and of course they had to be cleaned first so I wouldn't argue with the use of a coal wagon in earlier years as they could handle the bulk better than a lower planked goods wagon.  Edwardian's pic shows the colour of harvested beet very well although it might also include a hint of local soil colour when loaded - definitely a common situation later.

Judging by what went on in Zummerset when I was working in that neck of the woods i would presume the south-west beet season finished fairly early - probably no later than early November.  Generally there should be no need to sheet sugar beet, in fact leaving it open probably helped wash some of the muck off.  At the opposite end of the scale by the 1970s the beet pulp came back in Vanfits as it was packed in paper sacks and thus liable to wet damage - I don't know how it would have been bagged in the late 1940s but would presume paper sacks to be more likely as they were more wet resistant than ordinary sacks.  The beet pulp/beet nuts season seemed to start after Christmas in Zummerset.

No they are down at Kingsbridge Regis on a day trip. (see my last post)

So I see. Thanks for setting my mind at rest, as I have been worried ever since I saw this hastily dug grave at about the same time as the Finchings suddenly disappeared from the area.....

post-9751-0-21622500-1476744438.jpg

Edited by cary hill

Colour of harvested Sugar Beet. If you were to take the D901 from Boulogne to Abbeville in France, just before Montreuil, you will go past a Sugar Beet factory. At any other time of the year, there will be little to see but around now, the yard will be piled high with said crop. I'd say that Edwardian's photo and comments are correct from what I've seen but of course it may be a bit redder in Devon due to the colour of the soil.

• RMweb Gold

Off topic / rant mode on...

Following the mention of Milicast, I perused their website and purchased a set of figures, to assess the general quality as I will need more army-types loafing around Treamble.

I was a bit staggered to see a £5.50 charge for p&p, but paid it anyway for 1st class Royal Mail.

That was Monday. Within the hour I had an email stating my order had been processed. It's now Friday and no sign of the package as yet.

Considering Kernow can have a parcel delivered to Scotland within 24hrs, there is no excuse.

/rant mode off.

Update - having corresponded with Tom, it was a Royal Mail issue/failure, not Milicast's.

The figures have arrived and are being painted at work ( lunchtime, honest).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So I see. Thanks for setting my mind at rest, as I have been worried ever since I saw this hastily dug grave at about the same time as the Finchings suddenly disappeared from the area.....

attachicon.gifgrave.jpg

'Last night a large hole appeared in the station platform at Brent, in the South Hams area of Devon. The police are looking into it.'

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifbanished finchings.jpg

Have the management permanently banished the Finchings to the dark shadows of the footbridge, or are they just in a stinking huff because an arriviste bracket signal has recently stolen their limelight and severely limited their photo opportunities?

It doesn't hurt to move things around especially as I'm planning a 'something new' photo shoot for later in the week.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

KC2. All the way down from OOC.

Nice.

Very nice.

At the moment but I have a plan to turn her into the eminent one of the twelve Laira based post war.It clears my overbridge Phil !

post-126-0-76665700-1476899995_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Is this what Mr Warburton has been patiently waiting to see ? Will he wait until Christmas to see it again I wonder.

Fans of Mr Warburton might like to keep an eye out in BRM soon.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't expect anything less from a quality modeller.Did you use the green triangle one ?

No, I really do! (or did, until I started using the glazing material supplied by MSE).

And no, of course I didn't use the green triangle one, they were usually the first to be eaten!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the King photos. Firm confirmation that I will not be buying a green one until Hornby changes the colour it uses.

I quite agree Andrew but I had a Leslie Crowther moment and when the price is right I come on down.The Hatton's version should be superior in this respect.