A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Apologies for the lack of promised photos today as I've been assisting swmbo with some major household chores.Normal service will be resumed soon.

Given the circumstances, I can see that SWMBO would have needed you to hold on to the bottom of the ladder and offer occasional words of encouragement.

post-9751-0-59344800-1488139564.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

6417 does the branch honours this afternoon.

attachicon.gifDSCN0049.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0050.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0051.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0052.jpg

The third photo is perfect for the onset of Spring!

I'm surprised the PW gang have survived so long standing so close to the traffic, 1947 has been a very long year !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That brick wall should have been wire tied to the wall behind in rows all the way across and from top to bottom it would have never fell down like that, it's a dodge Cowboy Brickies use to save time on the job and was clearly not checked by the local council building inspector it's the first thing they check before they allow you to close the wall so to speak. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That brick wall should have been wire tied to the wall behind in rows all the way across and from top to bottom it would have never fell down like that, it's a dodge Cowboy Brickies use to save time on the job and was clearly not checked by the local council building inspector it's the first thing they check before they allow you to close the wall so to speak.

There is no need for a cavity wall in an industrial building is there? Good old English Bond would have survived Storm Doris - but of course ties are essential in cavity walls, even in Liverpool!

Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Gold

Alas a plain bond garden wall near us came down - allegedly due to Doris but as it's been leaning for years I do wonder.  It's totally blocked a public footpath and as yet the idle git who owns has done nothing to clear it.  However the story is very clear as about 40 feet of the wall is still in one piece although it is now horizontal instead of vertical and if you look at the place if broke there is either very little mortar or none at all and it was probably built on footings about 6 inches deep at the most - not clever for a  5 foot high wall.  And probably not helped by the twit who owns it having it extended upwards by a couple of feet using lapped timber panels fixed to the back of the leaning brickwork.

If an insurance assessor has a good look at it he'll probably say 'tough luck and that's going to cost you a lot to rebuild.  If he thens look at the kitchen extension tied into one end of it and built only a few years ago he'll probably ask if there's as much damp up the inside of the wall as there is on the outside and point out that a damp course should be at least 6 inches above ground level and that half an inch just isn't up to what the Building Regs require.  And if he's got any sense he'll probably advise the insurers to cancel the policy.  When the kitchen extension was being built I got the impression that the brickie had been flown in from Dallas or Dodge City as he forgot to add any pointing until it was presumably noticed a few weeks later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There is no need for a cavity wall in an industrial building is there? Good old English Bond would have survived Storm Doris - but of course ties are essential in cavity walls, even in Liverpool!

I'm not up to date with current regs' but most of what I've seen when searching for new warehouses in past jobs all them were double walled with a cavity I don't think single walls are allowed on commercial building a large warehouse roof is a huge weight and has to be supported correctly and withstand high winds, as for what SM Mike has mentioned I've been to countless houses/premises with similar issues most of the work was done on the cheap or just poor quality workmanship there is no such thing as a cheap job as it will come back late and bit you on the @rse I've see what a 4' wall that falls over can do to a young child it was buried a week later.

Back on topic those latest batch of photo's are nice what's next Rob. (spoke too soon)

• Like 1

Presumably the approaches to Brent station are safe from collapsing wall syndrome, as portakabin, container, concrete and washing machine dumping didn't exist in '47?

post-9751-0-08632100-1488381502.jpg

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Your spurning me on young Rob to get out in the garage and get something running but SWMBO has had me in overalls the past month (don't go there). 

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

Your spurning me on young Rob to get out in the garage and get something running but SWMBO has had me in overalls the past month (don't go there).

Put your foot down with a firm hand.