A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

That Hall is a beaut. All the Bachman ones look wrong with override overbright lining. Someone made one from a Wills Kit and documented it in RM in 1980ish, although in as built 1930s livery it was finished with no lining because the individual thought that the loco was not big enough to carry the lining.

Your photos at a scale distance of 400' demonstrate this perfectly, the absence or presence of lining is not an issue to the eye and the Hornby Hall looks fab.

Oakhill

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the likes, have some more of 5993.

attachicon.gifDSCN0100.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0101.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0104.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0102.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0106.jpgattachicon.gifDSCN0103.jpg

The second photo for me demonstrates how much better the Hornby wheels are compared to Bachmann , with flaring of the spokes at the boss, and the all important dimple on the axle ends. This photo captures the Hall for me.

• RMweb Gold

I see the tension lock coupler has been replaced by a neat wire loop on the full brake in the penultimate group of photos- that must be a headache for the train marshaller !

Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Gold

Some especially lovely shots recently Robin. Can I ask the origin of your line side huts - you seem to have a couple of these on the layout?

Repainted Hornby Skaledale.

• RMweb Gold

Hands up the person that has an idea of how the loco crew can be rotated automatically if the loco has to run in reverse. Then go away. 

N. Erdyblokewithtoomuchtime.

Not necessary, they are temporarily looking back along the train to ensure that it is proceeding along in a safe and orderly manner.

R.U. LebookmakeitupasIgoalong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been pleasantly surprised by how popular the tender first photos have been but perhaps its Mark's superb work that deserves the likes . I'm happy to do more locos this way on request.

post-126-0-49971000-1488820568_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I've been pleasantly surprised by how popular the tender first photos have been but perhaps its Mark's superb work that deserves the likes . I'm happy to do more locos this way on request.

Okay - how about that APT-E?

Not necessary, they are temporarily looking back along the train to ensure that it is proceeding along in a safe and orderly manner.

R.U. LebookmakeitupasIgoalong.

Instead of the usual fireman-with-shovel, I prefer to have the guy on the left facing to the rear so they are never driving "blind"

Of course, you people with proper green engines and driver on the left would have to make your own decision!

Rich.

Repainted Hornby Skaledale.

Ah, and very nice it looks too. I hadn't come across this hut before (R8586 it seems to be if anyone is interested), but the paint job you've done on it transforms it. Can you recall what paint you used Robin?

• RMweb Gold

Ah, and very nice it looks too. I hadn't come across this hut before (R8586 it seems to be if anyone is interested), but the paint job you've done on it transforms it. Can you recall what paint you used Robin?

Weathered wood from Precision was the starting point Ben.Just noticed the price of these now, ouch.

A new book has arrived:

post-22698-0-33962200-1488840760_thumb.jpeg

Rob

There's an April '12 photo of Brent credited to the GW Trust on p11 showing 172 Quicksilver. Have you seen that photo before? It's at platform level looking towards the footbridge.

David

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A new book has arrived:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Rob

There's an April '12 photo of Brent credited to the GW Trust on p11 showing 172 Quicksilver. Have you seen that photo before? It's at platform level looking towards the footbridge.

David

Viewable on the google books sample, quite a good view of the east side of the signal box.

While saints are not the most useful loco to Brent in 1947, espically Saint Dunstan given that it had already been scrapped. I do have a model in progress of this loco (having spent most of my early years at st Dunstan school). The GWRJ have it recorded as being black with a green tender in the early 40s, so I'd be interested to know if the book has any photos of the loco towards the end of its life.

Viewable on the google books sample, quite a good view of the east side of the signal box.

While saints are not the most useful loco to Brent in 1947, espically Saint Dunstan given that it had already been scrapped. I do have a model in progress of this loco (having spent most of my early years at st Dunstan school). The GWRJ have it recorded as being black with a green tender in the early 40s, so I'd be interested to know if the book has any photos of the loco towards the end of its life.

Rick

Yes - p102. Taken in 1945 at Oxford. I'd have said the loco is in green but will take another look in daylight tomorrow.

David

Edited by Clearwater

• RMweb Gold

A new book has arrived:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Rob

David

One has to hope that the author has actually managed captions which match the pictures - not one of his stronger points.