A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Viewable on the google books sample, quite a good view of the east side of the signal box.

While saints are not the most useful loco to Brent in 1947, espically Saint Dunstan given that it had already been scrapped. I do have a model in progress of this loco (having spent most of my early years at st Dunstan school). The GWRJ have it recorded as being black with a green tender in the early 40s, so I'd be interested to know if the book has any photos of the loco towards the end of its life.

St Dunstan's was an all girls church school in Plymouth; I remember it well - not all the girls were Saints!

Brian

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Premium

St Dunstan's was an all girls church school in Plymouth; I remember it well - not all the girls were Saints!

Brian

Wish I had known that! However I think there was one young woman of Irish descent that went there that I was infatuated with. However that was a complete waste of time......Devonport High School for Gals was a different story  :locomotive:

However I did prefer Castles and Light Pacifics.

Philth

• Like 1

A new book has arrived:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Rob

There's an April '12 photo of Brent credited to the GW Trust on p11 showing 172 Quicksilver. Have you seen that photo before? It's at platform level looking towards the footbridge.

David

Presumably there is a good chance that the photo is earlier than 1912, as the loco is still an "Atlantic" in the photo, and was converted to a 4-6-0 in April 1912.

Good to see one of the young Finchings in full Edwardian dress on the Island Platform.

Presumably there is a good chance that the photo is earlier than 1912, as the loco is still an "Atlantic" in the photo, and was converted to a 4-6-0 in April 1912.

Good to see one of the young Finchings in full Edwardian dress on the Island Platform.

I think you're right - rereading the caption, it says the loco was converted in Apr 12. I misread that as the date of the picture. Even when the captions are right, it doesn't cover for the dodgy reader!

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried GCHQ ? 

post-2-0-60275900-1489091202.jpg

Yes, but they don't have early closing. :jester:

(I love the idea that 60 people have reviewed GCHQ....)

• RMweb Premium

I claim my prize!

Wot, with alternative facts?

Any fule kno Pimlico is one stop after Victoria and you need a passport to get there.

And whoever made up such a daft name as Knunck Knowles?

• RMweb Gold

Any fule kno Pimlico is one stop after Victoria and you need a passport to get there.

Someone called Phuctifino?

EDIT : Or, as m'learned friends would put it Coitate si cognato.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ahh, Knunk Knowles: 'tis shrouded in the mists of time.  The secret known only to Grand Masters of Ecky Thump.

• RMweb Gold

What was Horrocksford Hall's running number?

I'm afraid I cannot enlighten you there Waraqah.  I suspect that's one of those locomotives from that company that was fond of dark green.  Was it a prairie or a pannier?

J

Just be careful not to upset the natives, Pendle isn't very far away. Not an area famed for sausages I'm afraid, but on the other side of Pendle Hill is a place far more familar to modellers of a certain age, being the supposed site of a very famous mine. Don't want to go into that very much as it could lead to some very sticky situations. :jester:

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The station garden's looking good Rob. Very spring-like.

Spring is sprung, the grass is riz,

I wonder where them birdies is,

The little birds is on the wing,

Ain't that absurd?

The little wing is on the bird

With thanks to Spike Milligan for the poetry and for his part in my downfall.

A Hitler

• Like 3