A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Reports of out of gauge GWR Manor Class arriving at Leeds this evening are confirmed.

Unfortunately there appears to have been numerous incidents involving platforms being damaged in the journey north. At Sheffield, 7804 was  piloted onward by LNER D49/2 Hunt Class 2742 'The Braes of Derwent'.

7804 is currently awaiting repairs at Leeds Neville Hill Depot....

• RMweb Gold

As always supershots Robin. How well does your Mogul run?

I have two ......the pony truck on one derails on facing points and the other waggles like a duck. I have almost given up on a new model being announced. Now thinking about getting one on the used market.

Layout doesn't look right without at least one running regularly

Best wishes

• RMweb Gold

Not brilliant but at least it doesn't derail.Better modellers than me would put a Comet chassis underneath or build the Mitchell/Geen kit.Keep voting for it in the poll and a new one will come eventually.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently my Hattons 14XX has just been despatched (BR lined green version). It's the one without a top feed. Why didn't I check that I needed the one with the top feed before ordering?

Tell them you know me CK and they'll exchange it for your preferred choice. ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This old Bachmann 93xx is a bit like myself.Cruel in close up and seen better days.

Get some in lad, get some in. I hope to be 70 next year!

The first ex-GWR loco I copped was a mogul. 7331 on the morning Reading - Redhill service crewed by WR staff. 1961. It did not look dirty. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have two ......the pony truck on one derails on facing points and the other waggles like a duck. I have almost given up on a new model being announced. Now thinking about getting one on the used market.

Layout doesn't look right without at least one running regularly

Best wishes

John I use to replaced the pony truck and bogie wheels with "Romfords" other brand do the job equally well job, do make sure you use the correct screw on the Mogul to mount the pony truck I found out the hard way using the wrong screw an popped an ordinary self tapper in the mount it would derail on the slightest curve, I believe others on this forum have had the same problems with their locomotives. 

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

John I use to replaced the pony truck and bogie wheels with "Romfords" other brand do the job equally well job, do make sure you use the correct screw on the Mogul to mount the pony truck I found out the hard way using the wrong screw an popped an ordinary self tapper in the mount it would derail on the slightest curve, I believe others on this forum have had the same problems with their locomotives.

Thanks Bob.........I like the idea of upgrading the pony truck in addition to changing the wheels. I googled to find a source without success........could you suggest a possible supplier?

Secondly I am embarrassed to confess I am uncertain what wheel size I should order.

Useless in Vancouver

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bob.........I like the idea of upgrading the pony truck in addition to changing the wheels. I googled to find a source without success........could you suggest a possible supplier?

Secondly I am embarrassed to confess I am uncertain what wheel size I should order.

Useless in Vancouver

John

I replaced all my mogul and Manor wheels with Kean Maygib - I'm not sure they're still in the market- using the original pony truck/ bogies

Because the steel axles are much slimmer than the Bachmann plastic and wobble around in the large space and aren't well controlled by the central plastic lug I put a length of brass tubing in the space as a bearing.

Mike

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at all these mogul photos has me seriously thinking about contacting Mr Geen about buying a new chassis for my Mitchell example so that I can convert it to OO. Really want a 43xx running...

Must resist until the layout is more complete!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Useless in Vancouver

John

Hi John if you are into replacing parts I'd drop a line to Dave Ellis at South East Finecast he will supply front pony truck parts from their Prairie kits for a small fee they are white metal and will aid keeping the wheels down and you can bend and shape them to fit. http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Contents.htm, your wheel size is 12mm ten spoke see text below for more info'.

I replaced all my mogul and Manor wheels with Kean Maygib - I'm not sure they're still in the market- using the original pony truck/ bogies

Because the steel axles are much slimmer than the Bachmann plastic and wobble around in the large space and aren't well controlled by the central plastic lug I put a length of brass tubing in the space as a bearing.

Mike

It's a matter of personal choice with wheels but Romfords were all you had when I started out with serious modelling and stuck with them, I found with these wheels you had to with care drill out the pony truck which was easier than trying to sleeve the axle there was no brass tube in those days I did try Biro innards once when the Maygibs became availible but there was too much wobble also the Romfords compared to the Maygibs are a bit chunkier which increased the weight of the truck overall.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Bob that was exactly the info I wanted.....I will email Dave..........and thank you Robin (a) for inspiring me to do something about my Moguls and (b) for letting me use your thread yet again to ask OT questions

Best wishes

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Bob that was exactly the info I wanted.....I will email Dave..........and thank you Robin (a) for inspiring me to do something about my Moguls and (b) for letting me use your thread yet again to ask OT questions

Best wishes

Never a problem John,have some more.

post-126-0-01501000-1489598881_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-41764800-1489598967_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-44006100-1489599057_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-75123200-1489599143_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 17