Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

A similar GNR 'antique set' which was also a unit train lurked in service until 1966, and is regularly requested, the Quad-Art. There's even a restored set to scan. Although designed for a very specific inner-sub service, these regularly got out and about in excursion traffic, torturing the passengers bladders; there's a very fine colour pic showing an Ivatt Atlantic with Quad-Arts 'racing' an N2 (the usual traction). Were I a betting man, those would be my pick as 'most likely'.

Not from Bachmann, as they've shown reluctance to offer four car sets of electric stock when, say a 4EPB should easily out-sell 2EPBs ......... I don't know whether any of the tooling for Hornby's non-gangwayed Gresleys might be adaptable for a Quad-Art (?) - but they might start with the ( twin ) articulated versions of those very same coaches.

...I don't know whether any of the tooling for Hornby's non-gangwayed Gresleys might be adaptable for a Quad-Art (?) ...

As an FYI, not at all. The Quad-Art was built to pre-group compartment widths, i.e not much! I may be wrong on this, but my recollection would be that a Quad-Art First compartment was barely wider than a regular third in the standard Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed coaches, and the thirds were narrow in the extreme. Moving in or out of one of the latter when full with seated passengers required considerable care to avoid treading on anyone else' toes.

Back to the Birdcages, I hope Bachmann do well with these, and are encouraged to model other per-grouping stock, but I fear that a price of nearly £200 for a rake of three will deter many.

For what it's worth, I've got Southern and SECR rakes on order. (Don't tell my credit card )

Back to the Birdcages, I hope Bachmann do well with these, and are encouraged to model other per-grouping stock, but I fear that a price of nearly £200 for a rake of three will deter many.

For what it's worth, I've got Southern and SECR rakes on order. (Don't tell my credit card )

I agree.  The price won't deter me; it might hurt me, but it won't deter me.  An important release and doubtless a quality one when it comes. 

• RMweb Gold

As an FYI, not at all. The Quad-Art was built to pre-group compartment widths, i.e not much! I may be wrong on this, but my recollection would be that a Quad-Art First compartment was barely wider than a regular third in the standard Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed coaches, and the thirds were narrow in the extreme. Moving in or out of one of the latter when full with seated passengers required considerable care to avoid treading on anyone else' toes.

They weren't called 'sit up and beg' for nothing! :jester:

Regards,

Rob.

Does anybody here know if there are any photos of Birdcage coaches being pulled by Brighton Atlantics ? Or did these coaches stay on the former SECR lines. I am thinking Southern Railway days.

Cheers,

Chris

Does anybody here know if there are any photos of Birdcage coaches being pulled by Brighton Atlantics ? Or did these coaches stay on the former SECR lines. I am thinking Southern Railway days.

Cheers,

Chris

In general (said in a very loose way), in southern days LBSCR stock was scrapped and replaced by stock from the two neighboring sectors, i;e from the former SECR or LSWR. They in turn got new Maunsall coaches.

I am not sure if Bridcages (mainly suburban) stock would have been part on that. Maybe around the London areas of former LBSCR.

However they strike me as odd choice to go behind a H2 because the loco in question was more for express work and boat trains for which Birdcages were not suitable.

In general (said in a very loose way), in southern days LBSCR stock was scrapped and replaced by stock from the two neighboring sectors, i;e from the former SECR or LSWR. They in turn got new Maunsall coaches.

I am not sure if Bridcages (mainly suburban) stock would have been part on that. Maybe around the London areas of former LBSCR.

However they strike me as odd choice to go behind a H2 because the loco in question was more for express work and boat trains for which Birdcages were not suitable.

It is true that the SR eliminated ordinary LBSC steam hauled stock, most had gone prior to WW2. The only LBSC steam stock left after WW2 were IOW

transfers and push=pull sets. LBSC coaches converted into DC electric units lasted until the 1950's.

The Birdcage sets of the type Bachmann are producing were built for mainline use, indeed for the very best trains.

As time went on, new build corridor stock and electrification schemes, displaced them and they were to be found

on stopping services in Kent, and on secondary main lines in Sussex.

One classic duty for these sets, right up until the end, was the Redhill to Reading service. Indeed a set from this service

was used each weekday evening to form a Guildford to Cranleigh train. ( M7, 700, Q1,E4 etc ).

Many RTR loco classes can authentically haul a Birdcage set, the most surprising of which is the Brighton built

Fairburn 2-6-4 tank. As for the Brighton Atlantics, almost certainly .

• Like 1

One classic duty for these sets, right up until the end, was the Redhill to Reading service. Indeed a set from this service

was used each weekday evening to form a Guildford to Cranleigh train. ( M7, 700, Q1,E4 etc ).

Would you be able to tell me when they started service on the Redhill to Reading line?

Guest spet0114

Quick question for the experts....

It's been established that Bachmann are making two versions of the composite.  One version, (presumably the later) has 'improved ventilation'.  

Can anyone say which version of the composite one might expect in each livery?   I'd guess that the SECR liveried set will have the earlier compo, and the BR liveried set the latter, but how about the Southern one?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Would you be able to tell me when they started service on the Redhill to Reading line?

I can't, but must point out that this was originally a South Eastern Railway service, so birdcage stock was a likely sight from Pre-Grouping times.

EDIT : But a quick trawl of "Guildford to Redhill" in the Middleton Press book reveals a photo of a Birdcage set at Betchworth (coincidentally my closest station in childhood) in 1932, but I don't know how early your layout is set. 

Edited by Oldddudders

Cheers,

Chris

Have a look at the Brighton Atlantic thread ......... there are lots of photo links and I recall seeing exactly what you're after on .......... er .... at least one !

Quick question for the experts....

It's been established that Bachmann are making two versions of the composite.  One version, (presumably the later) has 'improved ventilation'.  

Can anyone say which version of the composite one might expect in each livery?   I'd guess that the SECR liveried set will have the earlier compo, and the BR liveried set the latter, but how about the Southern one?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

I think the only experts on this one are Bachmann themselves : both types of coach had virtually the same lifespan and would have carried exactly the same selection of liveries over the years .......... maybe depends on what photos they've managed to dig up for individual sets.