SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

Had an email from Hattons today saying that Bachmann now have images of decorated samples of all three liveries of these coaches and that they are now in production and should arrive in September or October this year.

Cheers,

Chris

Images are on Hattons' website .

Chris

• Like 1

And they look superb, especially the SECR version. If I buy any more pre-grouping stock I'll need to backdate my railway!

• RMweb Premium

Could somebody put me out of my misery please? For the SECR era is a three coach set exactly as Bachmann have offered them – one of each coach so a formation has two brake end coaches?

Correct! As with the Southern Railway later on, the SECR went for fixed formation 'sets' of carriages (with brake vans either end) in quite a big way, with multiple sets coupled as required - though IIRC some 'birdcage' sets were 5 or 7 coaches long, not just 3.

In other words simply running one or two of Bachmann's coaches around would not be protypical - whichever livery they are in.

Edited by phil-b259

According to the Bachmann page here: http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details_archive.php?id=332 "Birdcage Coaches Unveiled": "The coaches operated in three coach sets, each comprising of a Brake Composite, Composite and Brake Third."

The Brake Composite has 3rd and 2nd class accommodation, the Composite has 1st and 2nd class, and the Brake Third has, well, 3rd class. It looks to me that a set of one of each would be a correct 3-car set. 

What I'd like to know is, would a 3-car set of these be appropriate to go with my pre-ordered Hornby Wainwright-liveried H-class 0-4-4t loco? 

Edited by Skinnylinny

• RMweb Premium

What I'd like to know is, would a 3-car set of these be appropriate to go with my pre-ordered Hornby Wainwright-liveried H-class 0-4-4t loco? 

Yes it would.

The Maroon with yellow lining was (as with the ornately lined out green on locos) the standard colour for SECR passenger stock from its formation.

The LCDR used varnished Teak (as per http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/coach114.html)- but I'm not sure what the other partner in the management committee* (the SER) used in terms of passenger livery.

Alternatively you could use a Green Bachmann C class in either the fully lined out or 'simplified goods livery' as although these engines were classed as freight locos they had the necessary brake and steam heat ability to work passenger trains and I find it very hard to believe they were never pressed into service as such on an occasional basis.

* The SECR was not a company in its own right and both the LCDR and SER continued to exist as independent, fully functional companies until Grouping. All that they did was pool their combined infrastructure and rolling stock to be used to best advantage - a bit like when Yeoman and ARC set up a joint venture to look after both companies mainline rail operations under the Mendip Rail banner

Edited by phil-b259

According to the Bachmann page here: http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details_archive.php?id=332 "Birdcage Coaches Unveiled": "The coaches operated in three coach sets, each comprising of a Brake Composite, Composite and Brake Third."

The Brake Composite has 3rd and 2nd class accommodation, the Composite has 1st and 2nd class, and the Brake Third has, well, 3rd class. It looks to me that a set of one of each would be a correct 3-car set. 

The Southern livery samples show both brakes as all-thirds, I wonder if that's just a sample error?

The Southern livery samples show both brakes as all-thirds, I wonder if that's just a sample error?

It’s to do with the abolition of second class and the re-classification of second as third. The intermediate composite went from first/second to first/third, so remains a composite. The brake compo was second/third, so the reclassification of second as third created an all third. If you were in the know, you could climb into an old second compartment and get a little more leg room.

It’s to do with the abolition of second class and the re-classification of second as third. The intermediate composite went from first/second to first/third, so remains a composite. The brake compo was second/third, so the reclassification of second as third created an all third. If you were in the know, you could climb into an old second compartment and get a little more leg room.

oh of course! Duh! Stupid brain read "second/third" but was looking for third and first on the brake, it's been a long day with an early start :P

Kernow's newsletter and website say that they have received them. Presumably other retailers will have them very soon.

Their newsletter says:

Bachmann release images of their Freightliner FGA and FFA wagons, Birdcage coaches, and Travelling Post Office stowage vans.

Pre-orders invited:

Edited by PrestburyJack

Kernow's newsletter and website say that they have received them.  Presumably other retailers will have them very soon.

Huh? I think that it says that they have received the images. The carriages are in production, due in a few months.

Here is a set in BR days on the Hawkhurst branch- but I have no idea what the rear two coaches are.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p265322570/h8fb5ecc1#h8fb5ecc1

Tony

They look like 'Brighton' stock so must be a Pull & Push set as there were none 'loose' on the mainland at this date ............. I'd guess that was actually the rostored stock for the Hawkhurst branch and the trio set was added for extra capacity rather than t'other way round ( together with a bigger loco than normal ! ).