Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

I may play again with servos for the signals but my experiences with them so far haven't been that favourable. They seem prone to forget settings and pick up stray signals. Still worth a second attempt?

I think the problem was me putting that one signal on two longer length of cable, really needed another servo board

did think that we could of had a spot of trouble with it, it was worth a try

Iv'e got 24 servo's on NHC doing the turnouts and they never give any trouble, using MERG servo4

Geoff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There's something about a Saturday morning trip to a wood yard, it means something interesting is on.

Get enough wood for a 5th scenic board...

That board might need a house extension first.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Why on earth would you have such a thing, at Padstow of all places? Whereabouts in the station is it?

John

Evening John,

If you are a train leaving Padstow platform road heading west, you go past the signal box on your right and it's the next turnout. A right hander into the goods yard. Not noticed it before.

• RMweb Gold

Evening John,

If you are a train leaving Padstow platform road heading west, you go past the signal box on your right and it's the next turnout. A right hander into the goods yard. Not noticed it before.

The only ones I have ever seen like that were model ones to cope with different wheel standards. Did they shunt with a tractor there? which might have put side pressure on the wagons. I believe they have tried using switcheable crossings for high speed or very heavy loads neither applies to Padstow.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Ok  this is a small extract from a late 50s photo of Padstow. As I'm building track at the moment the turnout caught my eye.

attachicon.giftmp_18616-rps20161126_1303091178458206.jpg

Anyone spot what's strange about it?

Now that is interesting.  Not interesting in that such a thing existed (I've even seen one or three real ones and a number of pictures of them) but the fact that one managed to find itself at Padstow.  So did it go there as a quieter spot to test out the idea or did it go there secondhand after being recovered from elsewhere or was the idea to test it near a saltwater environment?

• RMweb Gold

The only ones I have ever seen like that were model ones to cope with different wheel standards. Did they shunt with a tractor there? which might have put side pressure on the wagons. I believe they have tried using switcheable crossings for high speed or very heavy loads neither applies to Padstow.

Don

This one is, I'm fairly sure, working on the wing rail and not on the crossing nose Don and they were around some time before BR started experimenting with swing nose crossings

Now that is interesting.  So did it go there as a quieter spot to test out the idea or did it go there secondhand after being recovered from elsewhere or was the idea to test it near a saltwater environment?

I think they were going to offer it to Peco to help with their wheel drop problems.......

Martyn.

"I'm going to use tortoise point motors for the turnouts. They seem bombproof and dependable. I may play again with servos for the signals but my experiences with them so far haven't been that favourable. They seem prone to forget settings and pick up stray signals. Still worth a second attempt?

I've used Tortoise motors on my layout for the points - over 4 years now.  The only problem has been minor - the electrical switch (which I use for frog polarity and signal interlocking) has failed to work on a couple but a small dose of contact cleaner cured them.  I'd thoroughly recommend them.

My signals were built by Jon Fitness and operate with servos and have given no trouble whatsoever.  The control units are from GF Controls.  Can thoroughly recommend servos and the GF control unit.

Rod

I thought it was like a switched diamond but now having another look it only appears on one side of the crossing

Geoff

Ah, that explains why I was struggling with the look of the geometry on the right hand side of it because it doesn't look like it would line up if it swung over.

Even more intriguing. I'll ask the guys from track at work tomorrow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The train room is converted back into a bedroom this weekend as we have visitors. I planned ahead and brought out a big handful of chair sprues and tools to do trimming this morning but should have brought a lot more chairs to do. 400 took no time..

post-6675-0-21461200-1480237678_thumb.jpg

There's another 1000 to do upstairs.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ok  this is a small extract from an August 1950 photo of Padstow. As I'm building track at the moment the turnout caught my eye.

attachicon.giftmp_18616-rps20161126_1303091178458206.jpg

Anyone spot what's strange about it?

Looking at the full photo, I can't see any point rodding or any other physical methods of shifting the wing rail over. So is it pneumatic or electrical? Is that the actuator on the third timber back from the nose?

The diverging road is obviously in use because the rail heads are shiny.

The train room is converted back into a bedroom this weekend as we have visitors. I planned ahead and brought out a big handful of chair sprues and tools to do trimming this morning but should have brought a lot more chairs to do. 400 took no time..

attachicon.giftmp_18616-rps20161127_090450-424939235.jpg

Chris,

Why are you doing the chairs like this? If you just smooth off a little of the bottom edge of the bullhead rail, you can offer up the spruce of chairs and they will just slide onto the rail, also saves stabbing your fingers a few times.

HTH,

Martyn.

attachicon.giftmp_18616-rps20161127_090450-424939235.jpg

If they are the C & L type, I've got a few here your welcome to.

post-8734-0-82817400-1480240618_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

Why are you doing the chairs like this? If you just smooth off a little of the bottom edge of the bullhead rail, you can offer up the spruce of chairs and they will just slide onto the rail, also saves stabbing your fingers a few times.

HTH,

Martyn.

I did try that but didn't find it anywhere easier or quicker. Just goes to show we all have different ways of working.

Looking at the full photo, I can't see any point rodding or any other physical methods of shifting the wing rail over. So is it pneumatic or electrical? Is that the actuator on the third timber back from the nose?

The diverging road is obviously in use because the rail heads are shiny.

Are you sure that your photo is late 1950s? I was wondering if this picture dates from when the goods yard had been closed, and the switch is clipped out of use . . . despite the apparently shiny rail heads.

John

Edited by John R Smith

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure that your photo is late 1950s? I was wondering if this picture dates from when the goods yard had been closed, and the switch is clipped out of use . . . despite the apparently shiny rail heads.

John

Found a date for the photo - it's August 1960.