Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

That was my initial thought but I can't see any cranks in the recesses.

Removed at sometime perhaps?  They do sound as if they could have been used for crank beds although it sounds a lot for compensators over the length of a relatively short platform.

I shall no doubt make my way to reading next Saturday - after all it would be rude not to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had heard that there was going to be an o gauge reading next Saturday..... Where do I go to listen to that.

Andy

Always a good place for Satnavs - "Turn left on to the reading road" very different to "Turn left on to the Reading Road"

• RMweb Premium

Every year I read in the papers that there was traffic congestion around the reading festival... I can't imagine what they see in sitting around reading a book

Confused of stafford

Very confused if you think "the Hill" is Stafford... ;-p

• RMweb Premium

Very confused if you think "the Hill" is Stafford... ;-p

Stop changing your avatar... I keep thinking its a new contributor... In fact it's an old one with an identity crisis.

I remain resolutely pink... Oho...

Andy

Wish I could be there I need some bits.

Don't forget there was a small lever frame at the end of the station building I think locked from the signal box. It had a couple of levers I do believe that where for the loco release. I think that first hole in the photo is possibly for their point rodding. Nice picture.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wish I could be there I need some bits.

Don't forget there was a small lever frame at the end of the station building I think locked from the signal box. It had a couple of levers I do believe that where for the loco release. I think that first hole in the photo is possibly for their point rodding. Nice picture.

The first recess does appear to align with the knee frame on the platform. It would be nice if just one of the photos showed some rodding coming out from it. That is was has me confused, a visual lack of anything in the recesses.

I'm going to proceed assuming they were for cracks and rodding (not you Banks).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stop changing your avatar... I keep thinking its a new contributor... In fact it's an old one with an identity crisis.

I remain resolutely pink... Oho...

Andy

I decided that the happy fruit photo had been around long enough. The so yes, guilty as charged I was having a play with alternatives that reflected interest in the Bodmin area. I was after something that I could easily spot when flicking through threads to make finding my old posts easy.

First was the BWT on a Wenford rail tour. Nice but didn't really stand out.

Next was a Pannier on a Bodmin - Wadebridge service just about to go past the Jail. The pink bushes stood out (!) but I didn't want a grot western loco in my avatar.

Finally we had the Ivatt tank parked outside Bodmin North's station canopy. Photo was a bit dull and merged with all the other avatars in a thread so, taking a leaf out of your book, I added some colour.

Still not sure. I may yet go back to the B&W company seal or the happy fruit....

• RMweb Premium

There might have been bigger cranks and the points might have been relaid giving a slightly shorter loop/ longer headshunt.

I'm wondering if the loco release crossover was originally controlled from the box? In later years the crossover was operated by the knee frame on the platform. I'm not sure if this was an original feature or a later alteration. If a later alteration it could have meant the removal of a fair length of rodding along the platform face and potentially the cranks (not you Banks).

• RMweb Premium

Nice clear shot of the engine release at Bodmin North: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1005521121/h4b646bb1#h4b646bb1

Something I would like to know... The platform face at Bodmin had 4 or 5 recesses in the front such as the one below:

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_419 Dec. 03 21.42.jpg

What were they for??

Refuges for piskies?

• RMweb Gold

I'm wondering if the loco release crossover was originally controlled from the box? In later years the crossover was operated by the knee frame on the platform. I'm not sure if this was an original feature or a later alteration. If a later alteration it could have meant the removal of a fair length of rodding along the platform face and potentially the cranks (not you Banks).

The frame on the platform for the release crossover was mechanically released from the signalbox so that would be one rod, with at least one compensator along the length of the platform and quite likely a couple.  There would also be a rod from the ground frame to the loop end of the crossover which would incorporate (probably) a compensator plus the drive crank to the point end, and a signal wire although the wire run pulleys were probably fixed to the platform wall but there would need to be a bed somewhere for the pulley where the wire run turned to cross under the track.  Plus of course a leading-off bed where the rodding comes out from under the platform to run alongside it.

Best I can offer without seeing which recesses were where.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

It has been cold I have been tiling on the roof, The flat roof is in the shade and stayed frosty all day. It is normally recommended to store the timbers in the room they are to be used in to acclimatise. Storing and building them in a cold garage may give rise to some movement when brought indoors probably of little account on something the size of a baseboard. Ply should be stored flat. Ply leant against a wall always seems to develop a curve. Obviusly the best thing to do is use quickly once delivered.

Don