Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

That was Wrenn and Welkut "Universal" fibre-based pointwork in the 1950s. Nothing new under the sun. :)

PointB.jpg

linked from: http://www.wrennrailways.org.uk/Track/PointB.jpg

http://www.wrennrailways.org.uk

Check rails designed for 7mm I see, forward thinking by Wrenn knowing how many would be converted when the Dapol 08 was released!!!!   :jester:

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Premium

Not a great deal of progress this last week as work has been somewhat demanding. I was able to crack on a bit last night though and make a start with rail laying on the mainline.

post-6675-0-36621700-1480752305_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-49695000-1480752337_thumb.jpg

Timbers for the double slip:

post-6675-0-74204600-1480752400_thumb.jpg

Splitting a turnout over a board joint means lots of soldering the rail ends - 16 pins:

post-6675-0-27168800-1480752536_thumb.jpg

And this time I remembered to split the boards and put a shim of plasticard between them the thickness of the rail saw cut before soldering the rail over the joint.

I'm off to the timber merchants this morning to collect the timber for the fourth scenic board.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not a great deal of progress this last week as work has been somewhat demanding. I was able to crack on a bit last night though and make a start with rail laying on the mainline.

attachicon.giftmp_2001-rps20161202_223623-471336992.jpg

attachicon.giftmp_2001-rps20161202_2237051737025756.jpg

Timbers for the double slip:

attachicon.giftmp_2001-rps20161202_223640-960127417.jpg

Splitting a turnout over a board joint means lots of soldering the rail ends - 16 pins:

attachicon.giftmp_2001-rps20161202_223756-37332114.jpg

And this time I remembered to split the boards and put a shim of plasticard between them the thickness of the rail saw cut before soldering the rail over the joint.

I'm off to the timber merchants this morning to collect the timber for the fourth scenic board.

Chris do you place section breaks at baseboard joints or do you ensure both sides are in the same section in case the rails touch? One advantage of DCC is it usually doesn't matter if the rail ends touch at a joint (only if you have reversing sections will it matter).

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris do you place section breaks at baseboard joints or do you ensure both sides are in the same section in case the rails touch? One advantage of DCC is it usually doesn't matter if the rail ends touch at a joint (only if you have reversing sections will it matter).

Don

Morning Don, the section breaks are where they need to be and none of those I've done so far fall on the baseboard joints - typical!

Building the track on site means I can work to the plans and insert insulated section breaks and cosmetic track panel breaks where I want to. There's lots of scribbling and notes appearing on the paper Templot plans.

• RMweb Gold

Next big decision is whether or not I shell out on the accurate common crossing chairs Mark found on the shapeways site. They really look the part...

You either cut down on beer or your layout's new gear,it's a big decision in a town called seven mill.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Don, the section breaks are where they need to be and none of those I've done so far fall on the baseboard joints - typical!

Building the track on site means I can work to the plans and insert insulated section breaks and cosmetic track panel breaks where I want to. There's lots of scribbling and notes appearing on the paper Templot plans.

If the section breaks are away from the baseboard joins it is better for DC as with expansion due to temperature changes there is always a chance of the gaps closing much harder to control at baseboard joins. 

I suggest getting what you want to finish done before going to the pub somehow it never seems to get completed  after a pub visit or is that just me?

Don

• RMweb Premium

Not got very far today so far.

Got distracted putting up the outside Christmas lights around the house. Then by clearing out the garage to create some board building space. Bin now seems to be full!

post-6675-0-48119300-1480775629_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having tidied the garage I've now made a mess of it.

Minor mods to the existing board three to turn it from an end board to a middle one.

Now I have the top of the new board four resting on top of board three whilst I mark up the top...

post-6675-0-31568700-1480782291_thumb.jpeg

Baby it's cold (and dark) outside!

post-6675-0-11622100-1480782404_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The siding at the rear is going to be level at the station datum - I didn't want waggons rolling off.

The mainline to Wadebridge drops 10mm to the righ below station datum.

The clay line to Wenford drops 25mm to the right below station datum.

The ground in front of the clay line is set at 40mm below station datum.

Going to be an interesting build.

• RMweb Premium

These look very good:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/HGR34RQ7K/1-in-6-common-crossing-chairs

The different chairs are a lot more noticeable in 7mm.

Thanks to Mark for the link.

Was put off ordering these due to the £10 postage, but then Mark prompted me to look for a promo code. Free postage one found. Result