Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

iron horse: there will be a 70 knocking about between shrewsbury, crewe, chester and chirk later in the week doing some road learning

couple from tonight, 60026 heading loaded to chirk

522FEAF1-1CCE-443C-B8AE-84664F27CD65.jpg

and a few hours later, heading empty back to carlisle

972F27D3-724C-46A5-A6E6-0FACC7081819.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

iron horse: there will be a 70 knocking about between shrewsbury, crewe, chester and chirk later in the week doing some road learning

70806 arrived yesterday from Canton, is wandering off to Shrewsbury as I type, returns later (several times) and heads back to Canton tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

somewhere between ooc and paddington i think, i had the empties

Ahh yes, that figures. Big works going on there over the holiday.

Cheers, Jim. and thanks for all the pics and info from the perspective of an engineman these last 12 months (and more).

somewhere between ooc and paddington i think

Hi,

From what I remember there were 6 ends (4 crossovers & a couple single enders) at Old Oak, while I think there were a couple a crossovers at Ladbroke Grove and possibly a single end at Paddington.

Simon

somewhere between ooc and paddington i think, i had the empties

couple of phone pics, didnt bother with the proper camera, caught the train from bescot to marylebone, one of the ex tpe 170s from moor st

2E026DAB-9756-4FD2-9C54-EC74EEBC79DD_1.j

GWR lined green 57 on OOC

C91669BE-239B-432A-806E-6C73DC067610.jpg

8CFE5D29-4AEE-4CDA-94AD-86AEED173833.jpg

had to wait at south ruislip

7A150B30-32FE-4E96-926B-E1623EFD0097.jpg

and into bescot, all shut down and home

AFC5F305-FED8-413D-9509-235F49CE8373.jpg

Aha, so it was you I talked to when you queried being routed through the platform at Leamington! I have no idea why the notices and CCF showed you running through the platform since there was no prohibitions shown at Leamington on any route. Had the TDA clerk ring up afterwards querying why you had lost time. Had a slightly inebriated young man ring up later still wishing me a happy new year at about 0150. Actually quite welcomed it as I stared morosely at an engineering train running around at Fenny, brightened the night up a little. I think he was just ringing random numbers as he and his mates waited for a taxi. NB. thats not you just rang from OL3150? 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

it seemed odd to go through the platform at leamington hence why i queried it as i know the only restriction is hatton station

i got asked about the delay too, questioning the route didnt actually cost me any time as i rang you on the move, i lost a bit of time here and there all the way back as the loco kept taking power from me 'cold engine, load limited' which i reported, typically it did it on hatton bank so i crawled upto the signal for the back loop as it wouldnt let me have the power i needed, but i wondered also if the timings take into account the fact im not going through hatton at 50mph and have to slow to 10mph through the crossover and all the way through the back platform which adds a good 5 mins to the trip

and yes that was me at OL3150

Edited by big jim

it seemed odd to go through the platform at leamington hence why i queried it as i know the only restriction is hatton station

i got asked about the delay too, questioning the route didnt actually cost me any time as i rang you on the move, i lost a bit of time here and there all the way back as the loco kept taking power from me 'cold engine, load limited' which i reported, typically it did it on hatton bank so i crawled upto the signal for the back loop as it wouldnt let me have the power i needed, but i wondered also if the timings take into account the fact im not going through hatton at 50mph and have to slow to 10mph through the crossover and all the way through the back platform which adds a good 5 mins to the trip

and yes that was me at OL3150

I did wonder about the timings as you lost 3 to Fenny, 3 to Leamington and more again to Hatton even though you came through the platform at Leamington at a reasonable pace. Trouble with dealing with the TDA clerks is that, with some at least, if you try to explain or suggest something to them in anything but the simplest terms they do not understand. Once I tried to explain something and the clerk then turned around and put all the delay onto me for something that was nothing to do with me. Nowadays I say as little as possible to them as I can.