What's with all the coloured buttons below each post?

I was getting annoyed that the buttons don't really make sense on an iPad as you can't hover over them to see what they stand for etc.

Now I have found that if I use the mobile version they disappear completely so I'm happy with that.

Frank

I try not to get involved in matters such as this, but can I please have a reason why these buttons are considered necessary.

And if it is for some 'rating' of an individual why?

For myself, I'm content if someone 'likes' my efforts. And if they feel 'like' it add an approving  comment. 

Ask a question, or such other inquiry and/or remark as appropriate.

In Firefox - if you click on the 'X' and then you have to adjust the rh edge of frame, you get a little drop down menu allowing you to ignore signatures (it just replaces

If the theme is set to 'IPBoard 3.4 Default' the drop down menu does not need the frame resizing to make it readable - its only a bit iffy in RMweb_2013 theme

So to sum all this up:

The 'Like' button is when you like it but you don't know why you like it

The other buttons are for when you like it and you do know why you like it

Except:

The Indecipherable button when you have no idea what they're on about

The Disagree button when you think they're talking boll…. rubbish

I am confused by so much choice, therefore propose to push the buttons at random. I feel this system will be fairer to other posters and less judgemental.

Dear AndyY

Reading  some of this stuff I sometimes wonder why you even bother.Personally I think the buttons add value.They do allow a person to gain an insight into why people liked their post,or the reasons why not.In the light of this feedback people may modify the content of their  posts( in some cases desirable),only time will tell.

Earlier in this thread I have read references to a Gauge War,unfortunately as a recent joiner of RMweb ,I think I missed it.Someone was of the opinion that the buttons would ensure the next one was nuclear.I can envisage how the buttons might inflame  a "conflict" again only time will tell.

Edit:Original post gibberish.

It's not random -- it appears while your mouse is over that post and disappears when it moves over a different post.

It's not available for members who haven't set a signature.

That gets my "informative" vote of the day.

I hadn't realised/noticed how it appeared/disappeared.

I find it curious of course that something obviously triggered by a mouse-over still appears and disappears despite javascript being off. Obviously the developer of this feature took the trouble to use css rather than javascript.

Of course clicking on it doesn't do anything ;)

Ah well, we learn something, no matter how insignificant, each day.

I live in hope each morning that these distracting buttons will have been removed.

I usually try and be postive about any forum upgrades but I'm afraid that I'm with Larry on this one. Although I can see why some like them I personally find them to be an unnecessary distraction and I really don't like the way they clutter up each post.

I feel that it would also make the forum seem to be rather more complicated than need be for new members.

• RMweb Gold

I'm with Larry and Halfwit, I'm afraid. I disliked the "like" button but once it was there, you had little choice but to use it - if you didn't, it might be thought that you didn't like something or were in some way ungrateful for a response. I know the endless lists of "me toos" and so on could be tiresome but I think there was a good balance most of the time.

• RMweb Gold

I personally find them to be an unnecessary distraction and I really don't like the way they clutter up each post.

Don't confuse function with cosmetics. The buttons could just as easily be on a drop-down list or panel, so that all you or beginners would normally see would be a small down arrow icon.

Give Andy a chance. This HTML stuff can be hard work.

Martin.

I live in hope each morning that these distracting buttons will have been removed.

As mentioned earlier change the theme ( lower left corner of the page)  to IP.Board 3.4 Default and they will disappear.

As mentioned earlier change the theme ( lower left corner of the page)  to IP.Board 3.4 Default and they will disappear.

Thanks. Dunnit and how refreshing 'clean' the page looks now. No 'like' button though so I will have to communicate by smoke signals....

Archived