What's with all the coloured buttons below each post?

"Puff! Puff! Puff! Big Chief Coachmann announces he's relaid the track yet again!"

Heap powerful medicine paleface but me smoke detector havin' nothing to do with puffs... post-6680-0-15553500-1368533892.jpg

Yikes, I just lost me reputation changing the IP Board setting....

• RMweb Gold

I am confused by so much choice, therefore propose to push the buttons at random. I feel this system will be fairer to other posters and less judgemental.

Somebody please click on 'disagree' on Poggy's post and it can be the first one with a full house!

Andi

• RMweb Premium

I'm in favour of a wider range of buttons as it felt inappropriate to click on "Like" on a sad news post! The Wingdings font buttons are a lot better than the "My Little Pony" style ones first put up!

But please don't get the wrong idea if I click on the heart button in support of your post, particularly if you are a lady!

• RMweb Gold

Personally I think the buttons add value.They do allow a poster to gain an insight into why or why not people liked their post.

Hi Iain,

That's the thing, they give you a insight in how people think about a post, but not why they think that way. An example is on your post. You got a "?" for your thoughts, but you don't know why, so you can't clarify them.

I like the new buttons, and will be using them. I just hope that they aren't used as a lazy shorthand instead of having a proper discussion.

Cheers

Jason

Hi Iain,

That's the thing, they give you a insight in how people think about a post, but not why they think that way. An example is on your post. You got a "?" for your thoughts, but you don't know why, so you can't clarify them.

I like the new buttons, and will be using them. I just hope that they aren't used as a lazy shorthand instead of having a proper discussion.

Cheers

Jason

Surely having received  feedback that my post was indecipherable unsure of meaning I can take a second look at my  post and try to see where the problem lies.I now realise my  post would be better written:

They do allow a person to gain an insight into why people liked their post,or the reasons why not.In the light of this feedback  people may modify the content of their posts,(In some cases desirable)....

Obviously I will be modifying the content of my posts in the future.

Thankyou for your help Jason.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how "disagree" should be used. Right now it seems to have fairly negative connotations. It is counted separately from the "positive" buttons, and the score is in red on the user profile!

But disagreeing is not necessarily negative. We have lots of civilized and interesting debates where two or more users don't necessarily agree. In fact the disagreement is often what creates the debate in the first place. Also, disagreeing can be part of a humorous exchange. Eg over whether the GWR was the best railway company in the world, or only the best in the UK ;-) 

In other words I would like to use the disagree button more liberally, as you would in a discussion between two friends. 

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how "disagree" should be used. Right now it seems to have fairly negative connotations. It is counted separately from the "positive" buttons, and the score is in red on the user profile!

But disagreeing is not necessarily negative. We have lots of civilized and interesting debates where two or more users don't necessarily agree. In fact the disagreement is often what creates the debate in the first place. Also, disagreeing can be part of a humorous exchange. Eg over whether the GWR was the best railway company in the world, or only the best in the UK ;-) 

In other words I would like to use the disagree button more liberally, as you would in a discussion between two friends. 

Or did I mean agree

The disagree is actually a neutral and would appear in the centre grey score; I haven't enabled any negative votes as someone, somewhere, sometime will have an agenda against others (I've already seen someone gratuitously use the disagree button to try and do that  :no: )

Probably not Andi but I could test it.

Sorry Andi; tested it by disagreeing with it and deleting the post but it still left 1 on the neutral count. It could be done via the back end if necessary.

Surely having received  feedback that my post was indecipherable unsure of meaning I can take a second look at my  post and try to see where the problem lies.

It would if one were actually able to notice and identify such posts without re-reading every post made.

I tend to move through a topic as others add posts to it, I rarely go back to posts made earlier, especially on previous pages and especially on topics where activity drops. Yet that is not to prevent a new visitor to the topic finding it funny,useful, etc.

One of the reasons why I find that particular one of little use - either as recipient or as donor.

Of course perhaps if I were the software designer I would have made a list available from the profile page to click and display (in reverse date order) the posts which had received "indecipherable" credits. However, that assumes the poster cares; can understand what is indecipherable; and that the person adding that credit also returns to view the correct;can remember why they did it; also cares about removing the credit once the indecipherable is then no longer indecipherable!

In other words - what use is it in the first place - other than to satisfy the power of the mouse at the timeindecipherable.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely Kenton, if you click the "?" you should have to provide a reason why. Mind you I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram about it, I'll just send the boys 'round to find out :triniti:

Only kidding!

I suppose I ought not to be ironic on here, as it has clearly confused a couple of people. I do apologise, but it is so much part of me I do it without thinking.

As to the matter of substance, since I also have a strong, inbuilt aversion to change of any kind, any comments of mine on change are worthless, unless I say that the change is really cool. In which case, it probably is.

Shame we've lost the gold star award for five or more likes in old money! :scratchhead:

Totally agree.

When I logged on tonight, I noticed that I had been awarded 6 'whatevers' (mixed)

I tried to find out which posts had been credited for what, fat chance!

Checked my profile, last posts made, nothing. (The notification post doesn't tell you)

Looked at the ratings breakdown, no info, but some info that concerns me.

I have received 177 likes, there is no way I gained those in the last 2 days, so that

means all my previous likes are included.  

Great, but 0 given, now I know I have liked loads of posts (and pressed the button),

so why not include them? Makes me look like a right Grumpy Old Man.

Back to the main point, it means I have to sift through all the threads I have posted

in to find out which ones have got the 'whatevers', I don't think I can be bothered.

So to sum up, I think it's less likely to be helpful, if it takes that much effort to find

out what people think on any post, chocolate teapot springs to mind, along with

handbrake on a canoe.

Rant over!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree.

When I logged on tonight, I noticed that I had been awarded 6 'whatevers' (mixed)

I tried to find out which posts had been credited for what, fat chance!

Checked my profile, last posts made, nothing. (The notification post doesn't tell you)

Looked at the ratings breakdown, no info, but some info that concerns me.

I have received 177 likes, there is no way I gained those in the last 2 days, so that

means all my previous likes are included.  

Great, but 0 given, now I know I have liked loads of posts (and pressed the button),

so why not include them? Makes me look like a right Grumpy Old Man.

Back to the main point, it means I have to sift through all the threads I have posted

in to find out which ones have got the 'whatevers', I don't think I can be bothered.

So to sum up, I think it's less likely to be helpful, if it takes that much effort to find

out what people think on any post, chocolate teapot springs to mind, along with

handbrake on a canoe.

Rant over!

Jeff

Top right of every page, just to the left of your username, is your notifications tab, which will probably have defaulted to 'on' for likes etc. (mine had). There you should be able to see which posts have attracted ratings by clicking on the bit that says '(user) rated your post (icon) (rating)' Click on the 'your post' section of the notification and it will take you to the post.

If their are no notifications showing then you can switch notifications on in your profile and you will be able to track future ratings.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

The 'like' button was a useful way to give some feedback without cluttering up threads with platitudes. None of the new buttons has any use - the messages they purport to represent need to expressed in writing if they are to have any meaning.

Archived