Karlgarin Models & Impetus Kits

Pint of Adnams

Is that also a recommended approach for your customers ? Or should that be "potential customers"?

I have not - nor will I ever - advertise my transfer sheets. I notify the model press of any new sheets and word-of-mouth does the rest. A good product will sell itself.

Besides, Cambridge Custom Transfers is not a business as such. I produce transfers for my own use, and let it be known that I am willing to supply them to other modellers who do not have my ability to print transfers. My web-site is there merely to save me having to respond to numerous enquiries as to what I can supply.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I have not - nor will I ever - advertise my transfer sheets. I notify the model press of any new sheets and word-of-mouth does the rest. A good product will sell itself.

The problem is that many would see this as advertizing

cct.png

I'm not knocking your product or business in anyway - I have also heard good things - just knocking the approach to your customers by the use of @hotmail and also subdomains (also frequently blocked by corporate and home based PCs that are under corporate control - ie work-from-home)

The problem is that many would see this as advertizing

cct.png

I'm not knocking your product or business in anyway - I have also heard good things - just knocking the approach to your customers by the use of @hotmail and also subdomains (also frequently blocked by corporate and home based PCs that are under corporate control - ie work-from-home)

Kenton,

Believe me - if I never supplied another sheet of transfers it would do wonders for my modelling output. I have a demanding fulltime career and providing transfers to other modellers competes with my own modelling - to the point where the latter is an endangered species.

As many members will know I bought an Alps MD1000 printer some years ago because it could print white. I mentioned the fact in MRJ - the same month that the printer was discontinued it turned out! I was inundated with requests to print transfers - the rest is history.

Yes, I try and let as many modellers as possible know that I have a range of transfers available - but for their benefit, not mine.

When my last-but-one Alps MD1000 gives up the ghost, or I run out of ink cartridges, then Cambridge Custom Transfers will cease to exist.

At which point my huge stock of kits and other projects, not to mention my long-promised model of Evercreech Junction, may finally get built!

Bottom line? My customers don't seem to have any prejudice against Hotmail, and we communicate just fine!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

As the business is more like a "hobby" to him I don't think much will happen for years as it is at least 6 years sense they were last about. Yes some were done in 2009 but in the case of the RH 165 DE 0-6-0 (I wanted the 0-4-0 one)the etchings were no good and I got the impression when I spoke to him on the phone the other day that another batch will be done in future. The web site will not be rebuilt until the kits are ready to be put on it.

The only future for Impetus will be if it gets sold to another person to add to his range, or somebody who wants to start into the business.

I got the impression it is a waist of time sending emails as they just sit there, I don't know which email has the hotmail one as I had sent an email to the address on his web site, but not using the link on his web site as this doesn't work for me, so I send an email from Google and this works.

.....The only future for Impetus will be if it gets sold to another person ....

There are loads of possibilities - and it may be that the current owner has put so much preparatory effort into it behind the scenes that it has become a Macbeth situation, i.e. -

"I am in blood stepped in so far that should I wade no more,

Returning were as tedious as go o'er"

A no-win situation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The only future for Impetus will be if it gets sold to another person to add to his range, or somebody who wants to start into the business.

I wouldn't mind myself, i've taken over 2 businesses ranges since setting up RT Models over a year ago which i didn't expect to happen.

Re-releasing kits is not always easy, I've got one thats ready to be re-released but i'm waiting to get hold of the wheels and chains, thats all thats stopping it from being released.

Regards Robert Thompson

RT Models

www.rtmodels.co.uk

but i'm waiting to get hold of the wheels

That could well be a problem for the Impetus kit range - now we are really only down to AG as a wheel supplier obtaining suitable wheels might be an issue.

But I suspect the more likely problem is the quality (or otherwise) of the casting mold masters. The etches could just be run off from the original masters as the etches used to be pretty good anyway.

But it doesn't sound as if it is for sale anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

The etches could just be run off from the original masters as the etches used to be pretty good anyway.

Even that can be a nightmare with old stuff. Modern processes and old films don't always mix as the film isn't neccessarily opaque at the exposure frequencies now used.

And as to what happens when a pile of 4 x scale red/blue computer plotter and hand drawn material in A2 size needs re-producing, oh boy...

Alan

I don't envy anybody running their own model business, but I'm jolly glad that so many do. I only organise a small annual exhibition yet my modelling time for the two or three months leading up to it just goes out of the window. If I tried doing things for other people I'd never get anything done!

With regards to the Impetus range I'd simply like to express an interest in obtaining three kits should they be re-released, namely the Manning Wardle K and I(x2) class kits. To be honest I'd be happy with them as they were without significant re-tooling as it's got to be easier than scratchbuilding the locos.

Patrick

• 2 years later...

Did anyone try and contact Richard by phone? My landline is blocked for making international calls, and I'd try to avoid calling from my mobile/cellphone due to costs. But if I have to...

This is not a product plug for anything beyond bringing to the attention of our community the usefulness of the Pennytalk calling card. I live in the USA and frequently call the UK suppliers of my bits and pieces, all 10c a minute. I have no idea what it would cost from the UK, but it's an idea.

• 7 months later...

Ant news on Impetus? The website is most uninformative.Regards

Well, five years on I got my 88DS.

dfff2851a3b429c67df2fba4c76a18ca.jpg

All it took was for another kind soul to produce a shiny, new kit. Very nice it looks too.

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys

I am looking at who does what currently in 4mm Industrial locos does anyone know for sure what has happen to the 4mm scale Impetus Range of kits

Colin

Mike Edge, who is on here regularly, does an excellent range of industrial locos. Many of these cover what was in the former Impetus range but I will say are a joy to build and the bits fit where they should. 

Have a look at the range here:

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge

Since Robin Arkinstall passed the original Impetus range to Karlgarin it would seem that supplies have been spasmodic, but worth emailing them if there is anything that particularly interests you. Kits do come up for sale on ebay sometimes but do tend now to have the cachet - well-deserved in my opinion - of being sought-after collector's items. In the right hands they be stunning and stand up well with today's offerings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

I am looking at who does what currently in 4mm Industrial locos does anyone know for sure what has happen to the 4mm scale Impetus Range of kits

Colin

I bumped into Richard (Karlgarin Models) about 2 years ago, down by the Army and Navy roundabout in Chlemsford. We caught up with what our families were up to. Didn't get the time to chat about trains.

Look at the dates of the posts in this thread before your question, 2014. Prior to that there had been much angst expressed in these pages over the useful and interesting Impetus range of industrials and whether or not they’d reappear. People have just given up hope, lost interest.

For MANY years the Kalgarin website suggested these kits were in the process of revision prior to relaunch. Nothing ever happened, nobody ever got a direct answer about the future, in fact responses become a little ratty and then the mention of the kits disappeared from the website.

This is a range which, sadly, has disappeared.

They pop up on eBay, often selling for silly money.

The only model not yet done by Judith Edge which was in the Impetus range which I would want was the Bagnal 0-6-0 saddle tank as used at Preston Docks and a few Collieries. Kilgarron has missed the boat by sitting on the range for so long and many of the Impetus range has been duplicated by Judith Edge and new models from High Level and Judith Edge has passed him bye. For many of us the Impetus range was our introduction to Industrial modelling. In my case my first loco was the little Bagnal 0-4-0tank as now preserved at Fox field.

A sad state, but as many have said - times change and things come and go. 

As an aside, if anyone has a set of the lost wax brass injector assemblies from an Impetus Bagnall kit which I could borrow and user as a master to cast from, please PM me...unlikely, I'll admit...

Paul A.  

Edited by 1whitemoor