The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Another Jowett - probably early 1930s

1066242417_LouieEdgar.jpg.6bb5dbd111d6b6aeadc64c255be902b2.jpg

Wife's Great Aunt Louie is beside her husband EdgarPrior sitting at the wheel. Both were keen rock climbers, members of the Rucksack Club.  

But Edgar came off in the Lakes;  badly injured, he died later in Manchester Infirmary. His death was to prove a turning point: his fellow club member the famous climber surgeon Wilson Hey of Manchester Infirmary brought about the use of morphine in Mountain Rescue before WWII though it was not legitimised until 1949. 

Aunt Louie was a dauntingly austere character They'd left their house in Chorlton-cwm-Hardy to Manchester Infirmary (not anticipating the post war NHS).  Twice a year she'd announce she'd just had another telephone call "Asking whether I'm dead yet".

So the grim old Victorian house slowly fell to bits while she ascended to Kinder Downfall every week until she died in her nineties  - when at last the house plot got re-developed. 

Her oft repeated mantra was copied by my wife "Do I want it ?  Yes, but do I need it? No! ... which in truth has protected us from bankruptcy.

Aunt Louie discovered I was frightened of spiders and forever tried to lure me into a smartly green painted garden shed where she spent her daylight hours . She had a deal with Manchester Docks where she rescued Tarantulas escaping from the banana boats. They all had names and lived with her in her  jungle - once the Jowett's garage.

dh

• Like 7

On 06/04/2020 at 06:41, tom q vaxy said:

just started to watch Eye of the Needle with Donald Sutherland & friends on Amazon Prime movies.

planes, trains, boats, & cars

https://www.imcdb.org/movie_82351-Eye-of-the-Needle.html

above link if a fantastic resource for those among us (!!!) who fester on the minutiae . . . 

Although quite what the little DKW 4wd is doing on a WW2 Scottish Island, I've never been able to quite fathom ^_^

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Lord Flashheart said:

Went for the daily exercise today and came across this dumped at the back of our local Hyundai dealer.

Rob

20200406_150105_kindlephoto-2262096074.jpg

Doors are the difficult items to source but this one looks to have got rot in the front and rear ones

It looks to have given up rare parts such as rear door glass and bumpers 

Probably ex BT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Lord Flashheart said:

Went for the daily exercise today and came across this dumped at the back of our local Hyundai dealer.

Rob

At the time I quite liked the Maestro roomy comfortable and practical and not Ford. (Had driven late model scrotes and the really poor model which they realeased before Focus). The Meastro we had for a week was a breath of fresh air. But best pool car was an Astra van. That job was a bit rubbish, been at current one for 28 years!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Lord Flashheart said:

Rob

Did you  notice if it was diesel or petrol I'm desperate for a diesel tank?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, peanuts said:

This popped up on my model portfolio site shown as taken in Prague can anyone identify that rear end ?

20200407_095158.jpg

It's the biggest of the Citroen Traction Avant, a 15. Saloon version, not the rarer Commerciale which had a hatchback (contrary to the Renault claim that the R16 was the first mass production hatchback.

Edit: The biggest was the 22 but they never reached series production iirc.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Correction
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The back end and roof were fibreglass and were bonded to the cut down shell, in a similar vein to the Broadspeed GT Minis. The Benelite grille with the integral spot / fog lamps would've cost around a week's wages when new!

Edit - the Buckle Mini Monaco, about thirty or so were built in Brookvale, Australia in 1966 and 67. There was also another version with a slightly different rear quarter window shape called the Ecurie de Dez, five of which were built by The Motor Boutique in Salisbury, South Australia in 1969 and 70. 

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3