Where are the Hornby models?

And also on Model Rail's Facebook page.

Hornby production update: Unfortunately we have been informed that our limited edition Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Class 91 (R3001) is also delayed for similar reasons. No date has been given for when they might be delivered but all pre-orders will be retained. Apologies for any inconvenience. As soon as we have any further information, we will let you know.

Due to the 'manufacturing restraints'.

Hornby's twitter feed just announced the following:

Due to manufacturing restraints this year some products have been delayed until 2014. See link for affected products: goo.gl/wtsMtg

IN case the short link does not work the full link is http://www.pdf.investintech.com/preview/682668b4-696a-11e3-95e2-003048d80846/index.html

Many thanks - phew! The improved B/G 4VEP is still there, as is the Trout. Santa may be a bit late, but he is still on his way...

I wish to advise that I am now FORMALLY hanging out for the DoG   but find myself looking at the various versions not knowing which will have cab glazing.  I prefer the look and price of R3168 the Railroad version but don't know whether this will have the glazing, the Hornby website pics are all a bit ambiguous in this regard.

Does anyone have good information or pictures of the various models being offered, including the new 2014 R3236 which includes according to the new releases info an additional detail pack, glazing and etched nameplates, which rather implies that all imminent versions do not have glazing.

Any info would be appreciated.

Hi 

With all these delays i was thinking about all the modes i had a on pre-order and have had a minor panic attack tonight!.

"What if all the models come out at the some time,I have at least six, ill end up bankrupt !"   :O 

As i do not want to miss the models i want, i have to spread out the payments, or i will have to pick just a few!.

Panic over and back to bed.

I wish to advise that I am now FORMALLY hanging out for the DoG   but find myself looking at the various versions not knowing which will have cab glazing.  I prefer the look and price of R3168 the Railroad version but don't know whether this will have the glazing, the Hornby website pics are all a bit ambiguous in this regard.

Does anyone have good information or pictures of the various models being offered, including the new 2014 R3236 which includes according to the new releases info an additional detail pack, glazing and etched nameplates, which rather implies that all imminent versions do not have glazing.

Any info would be appreciated.

I saw them both today Rob and they both seemed to have the cab side glazing at least! Kev.

I've just visited my local model railway shop and they had received from Hornby several 2013 items. I don't know about the numbers being released as there has been a glut of releases this week (Duke of Gloucester detailed version, Glastonbury Abbey Star Class DCC Ready, 2 versions of Sentinel Diesel (Esso and NCB), Gresley Corridor Composite Brake in BR Maroon as well as the blue and crimson ex SR passenger bogie brakes and the 2013 wagon and there may be others), all of which I saw in the shop having been delivered yesterday and today and many are initial deliveries with further stock in the New Year.  I had the DofG, Sentinel NCB and BR Crimson ex SR bogie brake put by on pre-order and a separate e-mail from Kernow that Glastonbury Abbey has been picked for packing. Seems like a Happy, but expensive Christmas from Hornby. Hope the wife doesn't see the credit card bill in Jan!!!!

• RMweb Premium

You must be one of the lucky ones from what seems to be a very small number delivered as they went out of stock again within minutes. Mine is in the next batch due in January it would seem.

You must be one of the lucky ones from what seems to be a very small number delivered as they went out of stock again within minutes. Mine is in the next batch due in January it would seem.

mine is in the next batch too, i contacted Hornby, told it will  be the end of january. Spoke to Hattons xmas eve some R3191 dukes had arrived but not enough to fulfill

all the pre-orders. I have now promised myself this will be my last Hornby purchase until we see production back in the U.K. Think about it, the chinese workers will be

demanding all the things we take for granted in the west which will mean higher wages and increased production costs so unless we are prepared to suffer sky-high prices

Hornby ( and most british companies ) will have no choice but to come home.

mine is in the next batch too, i contacted Hornby, told it will  be the end of january. Spoke to Hattons xmas eve some R3191 dukes had arrived but not enough to fulfill

all the pre-orders. I have now promised myself this will be my last Hornby purchase until we see production back in the U.K. Think about it, the chinese workers will be

demanding all the things we take for granted in the west which will mean higher wages and increased production costs so unless we are prepared to suffer sky-high prices

Coach.  Much as I would like to see things made in this country I think you will have to wait some time!  Does you promise also apply to Bachmann, Dapol,  etc etc? as they will have the same problem?

Roger.

I can't remember ever having seen a posting which manages to convey so much nonsense in so few words, even by the standard of this forum it is remarkable.

How dare the ordinary Chinese want to catch up with the west in relation to their standard of living . Don't they know it is essential to Model Railway enthusiasts in the west that they exist on a bowl of rice each per day so that we can have cheap models? As already noted Bachmann,and Dapol also manufacture in China so I assume the OP will be leaving the model railway hobby immediately

While costs are rising in China labour costs are still less than back home and thus we are unlikely to see a return to U.K. manufacture. In addition we have a skills shortage in toolmaking due to gaps in our education system which makes it unlikely we could easily manufacture the moulds in the U.K. at present (Probably as a result of the same education standards that allowed the OP to believe  nouns are spelt without capital letters).

If you compare wages to prices our latest Super Detail models are still cheaper in real terms than the crude models of the 1970's and with regard to sky high prices just look at what the Germans have to pay for German produced  HO locos.

• RMweb Gold

mine is in the next batch too, i contacted Hornby, told it will be the end of january. Spoke to Hattons xmas eve some R3191 dukes had arrived but not enough to fulfill

The only charitable way of making an observation on this posting is that you have not been following this forum as you perhaps should have been before passing what can only be described as ill- advised comment on the matter.

.......... In addition we have a skills shortage in toolmaking due to gaps in our education system which makes it unlikely we could easily manufacture the moulds in the U.K.

Yay.....We had a woodwork class and a metalwork class in our school but the rotters never taught us to be skilled toolmakers either. How dare they!  Goodness knows where I'd be today if I hadn't taught meself to forge nine-bob notes. :pickeat:

Yay.....We had a woodwork class and a metalwork class in our school but the rotters never taught us to be skilled toolmakers either. How dare they!  Goodness knows where I'd be today if I hadn't taught meself to forge nine-bob notes. :pickeat:

Funnily enough my school did have equipment to allow us to practice the basics of mould making for injection moulding. In those far off days (C. 1968/70ish) it was a Technical High school with two very well equipped metalwork/engineering labs, a metallurgy lab. (for 6th. form use). The year after I left the school went Comprehensive, all the senior Masters and the Head left or took early retirement and the lathes, milling machines, forge etc. etc. all went for scrap fairly quickly thereafter.

Despite all of the above they never taught us how to make the plates to produce banknotes, a surprising omission.

• RMweb Premium

Mmm I got told how to forge 10p pieces. You start with 50p and file off the edges.

Ah yes, we had woodwork and metalwork in our schools to, in my case for 'Form' 1 to 7 aged 11 to 17 in 1962-8 it was rather good to learn how to make things, and it came into its own immediately because we young males all mostly aspired to own BRITISH CARS, the only kind of car around, really... a grounding in every skill imaginable if you wanted to get about in an old Singer or Morris, or even a Rover or Jaguar the last being in the dream category until about 1970, and then it was a clapped out 1956 Mk1 2.4..., and LUCAS ELECTRICS taught us about random events, the philosophy of production and attendant faults, and any number of other things which I deal with every day on my model railway.

Ah yes, we had woodwork and metalwork in our schools to, in my case for 'Form' 1 to 7 aged 11 to 17 in 1962-8 it was rather good to learn how to make things, and it came into its own immediately because we young males all mostly aspired to own BRITISH CARS, the only kind of car around, really... a grounding in every skill imaginable if you wanted to get about in an old Singer or Morris, or even a Rover or Jaguar the last being in the dream category until about 1970, and then it was a clapped out 1956 Mk1 2.4..., and LUCAS ELECTRICS taught us about random events, the philosophy of production and attendant faults, and any number of other things which I deal with every day on my model railway.

Great stuff, but I think you are all being a little hard on British know-how! We still have much world-beating technology and the people to go with it in the UK, but can only commercially succeed at high end production. Transferring manufacturing back to the UK would not be the problem - vis Honda, Toyota, BMW, Rolls Royce Aero and Turbines, Vickers, BAE, GKN, Glaxo, Tata Steel (incl Land Rover) etc etc - it would be the cost compared to where it is done now.

I rather enjoyed keeping British-made 1950s-60s-70s cars on the road, no disrespect intended about current knowhow.

As a moderator on the US CARS forum for years I used to love rubbing American noses in it when they couldn't understand why a 1961 Jag E-type overheated if made to idle in traffic in Nevada in summer, or simply break down for the sheer necessity of breaking down... as generally did happen unless you took care with maintenance.

I had a 1957 3.4 Mk1 saloon for eleven years 1975-86 and rebuilt every nut and bolt as a rolling rebuild, used Weetbix packet to cut a very large valve-body gasket for the Borg-warner DG Auto box (with 'speed hold' solenoid)  and it worked.  It only once ever, in about 100,000 miles broke down on the road. And a clout on the fuel pump body fixed that...

• RMweb Premium

Well something must be right, the 2013 Wagon just landed with a whole week left to go!!

They really ought to have cancelled it and used the slot for something else, some retailers won't be putting it on the shelves until 2014!

Archived